Food Plot Time Saving Mods..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I discovered how useful a 3/way chain harrow was for food plots for leveling and also lightly covering seeds. I kinda stumbled on the fact that it was just as useful mounted on the front with the forks as on back plus I could raise and turn just like with my 3 point disc. Fast forward to this year and our 6.5" rain last week it was time to put some seed in so I welded a receiver hitch to my disc to save another task. A little improvising for planting food plots with a receiver hitch on the disc and a chain harrow mounted to the forks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	25291558

Name:	Photo_6553713_DJI_113_jpg_4311170_0_2022826192532_photo_original.jpg.JPG
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	25291559

Name:	Photo_6553709_DJI_109_jpg_4720162_0_202282619242_photo_original.jpg.jpg
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	25291560
    Albeit it isn't for large multi-acre food plots it works pretty quick for senderos and 1-2 plots and I noticed the soil was worked far less and keeping as much moisture in the ground with 3 passes over the soil. First pass disc to break it up, second pass chain harrow with the rough side to level and scatter seed (behind the leveled plot) and finally a third pass with chain harrow smooth side to lightly cover seed. Lastly a big prayer to the Lord for more blessed rain!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQOGnoiU4o"]Food plot time saving modifications - YouTube[/ame]

I like it!

Comment

Slick work there!!!

Comment

Looks great, and well thought out! Before I got my notill, I welded a hitch on the back of my conventional drill and pulled a cultipacker in tandem with my drill. I also hook up the 3pt seeder followed by hitching my disc (its a pull type, not 3pt) so I can run those together, and drag 2 big logging chains behind the disc to help cover.

Comment

Cool.
          Why not mount the chain harrow after the plow and do it all in one pass?

Comment

Great Job !!!!

I like that custom stick rake too!

Comment

Nice job! looks great!

Comment

Figure out how put a roller/packer back there, and you will be set!

Comment

Man that's a great ideal. Looks like I will be welding a receiver on my plow Saturday!

Rwc

Comment

another why didnt I think of that moment

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Cool.
                      Why not mount the chain harrow after the plow and do it all in one pass?
                      Good question, even when the disk is fully lifted the harrow would drag and hang everything, some places I put in are pretty tight and turning with it dragging behind would be a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                        Good question, even when the disk is fully lifted the harrow would drag and hang everything, some places I put in are pretty tight and turning with it dragging behind would be a no go.
                        gotcha.

The first time I used a harrow I didn't know you had to lift it to turn and broke a disc.

Comment

Neat! Just pray we continue to get rain through September as I’d hate for that stuff to germinate and then get burned from lack of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I like it. Haven’t found a 5’ disk for the lease yet cause I want to do a similar setup. So for now I’m using my $30 spring harrow.
                              behind my mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X