No announcement yet.

Medical bills -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad had a gap in insurance between jobs and when he could retire and get on Medicare. Had $300k to $400k in medical bills due to several heart issues. He didn't pay a single one. They stopped calling eventually. He is debt free (otherwise) and on SS now. Never got sued or anything.

Lots of folks probably drowning in debt due to this racket.

Comment

Insurance under $700 (family)/ month deductible is usually around $3,000 then 100% covered after that. I agree there are a lot of BS medical charges out there. That’s just the gamble you take not carrying insurance at all or good insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
        They can, they can tell you your corn could cost $7.99 a bag or $7,999 a bag depending on variables , ie deductible, in /out network, complications, emergency care. Etc. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get a ball park figure for your run of the mill scheduled procedure as long as you ask the right questions and confirm all services will be in network.
        But, they don't. The doctors office had all my info for a couple of months before my scheduled cataract surgery and I gave it until the week before I cancelled the surgery Because they wouldn't tell me how much. The medical profession sucks.

Comment

After reading all these stories and the pain and suffering some have been thorough, I and the wife feel very fortunate to have not incurred any debt due to medical bills. We are fortunate with insurance provided by firms we have worked for and now that we are retired, Medicare and supplemental has taken over, no medical bills, but we do pay premiums but way less than the bills for the surgeries we have had since retirement.

Comment

I spent a good many years with no insurance. It was eye opening what I was able to negotiate and pay for a MRI versus what my good college buddy with gangster insurance had to pay just in his copay. Just a comparison in our out of wallet costs. Same MRI. Same facility. Same part of our body.

What did I learn from this? Don't give them your insurance info until you have done the math. You can always give it to them later.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              But, they don't. The doctors office had all my info for a couple of months before my scheduled cataract surgery and I gave it until the week before I cancelled the surgery Because they wouldn't tell me how much. The medical profession sucks.
              Sounds like you had an unfortunate event. Good thing is you can shop around for another doc. Good luck in your search

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                Sounds like you had an unfortunate event. Good thing is you can shop around for another doc. Good luck in your search
                No, not really. This seems to be the norm lately and I have always had very good insurance. Up until my last two events, I hardly ever went to the doctor, never met my deductible. The first was about my big toe. Went to the doctor five times over two months, paying my copay each time, and then I get a bill from UT saying they were charging me for a hospital stay each time, $1800 each visit. I never went to the hospital, just the clinic off 45 in League City. C'mon, I was in there for 20 minutes or so, didn't get anything hospital related, just time with the doctor. My insurance picked up $1500 for each time but I ain't paying the difference. After seeing this, I cancelled my next appointment with the doctor and haven't been back. It is such a scam. And, then the incident with the eye doctor and them not telling me my cost which included UT again. I'll say it again, screw the medical profession.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  No, not really. This seems to be the norm lately and I have always had very good insurance. Up until my last two events, I hardly ever went to the doctor, never met my deductible. The first was about my big toe. Went to the doctor five times over two months, paying my copay each time, and then I get a bill from UT saying they were charging me for a hospital stay each time, $1800 each visit. I never went to the hospital, just the clinic off 45 in League City. C'mon, I was in there for 20 minutes or so, didn't get anything hospital related, just time with the doctor. My insurance picked up $1500 for each time but I ain't paying the difference. After seeing this, I cancelled my next appointment with the doctor and haven't been back. It is such a scam. And, then the incident with the eye doctor and them not telling me my cost which included UT again. I'll say it again, screw the medical profession.
                  Definitely sounds like you got to deal with some crappy billing folks. Hope you find some good folks to help you with your next medical need.

Comment

I may ruffle some feathers with this but lets talk some reality and truth here.

Many post here about folks talking about and advising how to NOT PAY their medical bills. Many Post about how to get out of paying a hospital or doctors for services you received. Either you don't pay or you just pay a little.

If you did not take care of YOUR business and find some health insurance then that is on you. I posted multiple times here that anyone now days can find health insurance for very low cost or even NO COST if you take the time to research the health insurance exchange - there is no excuse now days for not having health insurance - period.

But when you do not pay your medical bills then guess what? The cost for everyone else goes up - those of us that pay our bills end up paying more because you did not pay YOUR bill. You wonder why hospital and doctors fees are huge? Because folks like some of you do not pay your bills.

Apparently this is the way of the world today - ridiculous

Rant over

Comment

Yup lots act like libs and try to get out of paying their bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                        I may ruffle some feathers with this but lets talk some reality and truth here.

Many post here about folks talking about and advising how to NOT PAY their medical bills. Many Post about how to get out of paying a hospital or doctors for services you received. Either you don't pay or you just pay a little.

If you did not take care of YOUR business and find some health insurance then that is on you. I posted multiple times here that anyone now days can find health insurance for very low cost or even NO COST if you take the time to research the health insurance exchange - there is no excuse now days for not having health insurance - period.

But when you do not pay your medical bills then guess what? The cost for everyone else goes up - those of us that pay our bills end up paying more because you did not pay YOUR bill. You wonder why hospital and doctors fees are huge? Because folks like some of you do not pay your bills.

Apparently this is the way of the world today - ridiculous

Rant over
                        Post up some actual links where this no cost health insurance is. I’ll be waiting. And yes I pay my bills!

Comment

look in this thread - I posted where you can go on the exchange and plug in your info and see what is available - NO MEDICAL QUESTIONS TO ANSWER AND NO PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS - depends on income - please go back and read this thread -

IF you are not willing to spend a little time checking into what you can and cannot get for health insurance then that is on you - end of the day yes - it MAY cost some premium payments for good health insurance - welcome to the real world
                          Last edited by Huntingfool; 08-13-2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Recent experience I had

Last week I pulled a bone head move and got about a 1.5 inch gash in the top of my hand down to the bones. I know I need stitches so I drive to the Urgent Doc. While doing the paper work there on the touch screen the doctor comes out and asked where the cut is. (my hand is wrapped heavily in a towel because it got a vein and was a bleeder). I showed her on my good hand where the cut is and told her what happened. She said they couldnt stitch it there because there may be tendon issues. Id have to go to ER. Thats it, I didnt even finish filling out the paper work and she didnt see the cut. I did have a couple of tabs filled out on the tablet. I asked what to do with the screen I was on. "Ill take care of it" was their reply. So I left and went to the ER.
                            Today, I was wondering what I would owe the ER so I pulled up my insurance online. Well the Urgent Doc billed my insurance 1300 and I owe 200.

After calling and raising a stink, I received a new bill for my $35 co pay and the issue is settled. Im not saying dont pay you bills, but, what they do should be illegal. There should be set rate for procedures. I still have not received my bill for the ER visit. "Eagerly" waiting for that.....

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                              Yup lots act like libs and try to get out of paying their bills.

So....Is a person considered a lib if they negotiate the exorbitant out of pocket down and then pays the negotiated amount
                              after insurance pays their part?

Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                                look in this thread - I posted where you can go on the exchange and plug in your info and see what is available - NO MEDICAL QUESTIONS TO ANSWER AND NO PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS - depends on income - please go back and read this thread -

IF you are not willing to spend a little time checking into what you can and cannot get for health insurance then that is on you - end of the day yes - it MAY cost some premium payments for good health insurance - welcome to the real world
                                Now that makes sense. No cost to illegals and the lazy!

Comment

Working...
                                X