Medicare question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare question

I’ve been at my current job for 38 years and have been thinking about retiring. I have spoken with the retirement board and they told me my health insurance will go up from 550.00 month to 1700.00 a month when I leave( Im 57 now) I asked if that would go down once I reach 65 because of Medicare and she said no. When I was hired they did not take Medicare out of my check and I have been grandfathered in since. I am 20 credits shy of having the 40 I need to
    Qualify. My question is can I buy Medicare points or will I have to work somewhere that takes out Medicare for a few years to get those points?

Never heard of buying points

Comment

How did you escape paying Medicare over the years. I contributed a couple hundred thousand and will still have to pay $500 or so a monthly when I qualify.

Comment

I didn't realize you could opt out of medicare. I know you can with Social Security with approved pensions.

Public Servant?

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
          I’ve been at my current job for 38 years and have been thinking about retiring. I have spoken with the retirement board and they told me my health insurance will go up from 550.00 month to 1700.00 a month when I leave( Im 57 now) I asked if that would go down once I reach 65 because of Medicare and she said no. When I was hired they did not take Medicare out of my check and I have been grandfathered in since. I am 20 credits shy of having the 40 I need to
          Qualify. My question is can I buy Medicare points or will I have to work somewhere that takes out Medicare for a few years to get those points?
          You got me curious so I looked it up. I saw nothing allows you to buy points, you can only earn them while working. You can earn up to four points a year or one point each quarter where you earn about $1,500. With less than 30 points, Medicare is currently $471 a month (which is Part A or hospitalization), if 30 but less than 40 it is $259.

HOWEVER……..

I found a two different websites that said if you’re married for at least a year and your spouse is at least 62 years old and has enough credits, you qualify. It also gave other options such as being a widow, under some circumstances being divorce, etc.

Married? Spouse works and has earned enough credits and Social Security eligible (at least 62)…. from what I read you qualify automatically.

Comment

Call a Social Security office and schedule an appointment to discuss that $ and point issue.
            I've never heard of not paying in to Medicare while employed. It's no skin off your employers back to do so.
            Last edited by Bluesman; 05-11-2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

My employer has a pension plan that I’ve paid into for 38 years. They do take Medicare out on employees now but say I was grandfathered in when I started and have not had it deducted. I work for the City of Dallas.

Comment

I don't know anything about buying points.

My wife and I pay per month:

Original Medicare part A = 0
                Original Medicare part B = $170.10
                Original Medicare Plan G = $112.00 which covers all charges not covered by part B after the $233.00 deductible is met.
                Original Medicare part D Prescription Drug Plan = $10.60

It has been awesome coverage.

My wife has had a knee replacement and surgery on her wrist. We have had colonoscopies. I have had 3 MRIs and 2 biopsies that required day surgeries plus a lot of specialty Dr. visits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
                  My employer has a pension plan that I’ve paid into for 38 years. They do take Medicare out on employees now but say I was grandfathered in when I started and have not had it deducted. I work for the City of Dallas.
                  I was in your situation with SAFD but I saw the problem coming. My retiree medical required I buy Medicare part "B" so I got a part time job for my last 5 years of employment. Got just enough contributions to qualify. My Medicare is paid for and part "B" is mostly paid for. Because of my pension I am limited to SS payments of around $260/month and after paying part be I get a grand total of $11/month.

Comment

Only folks that can opt out that I am aware of are clergy--

Comment

Are you married? Has your wife paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Are you married? Has your wife paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years?
                        I said that in post #5 from my awesome Google abilities…..

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                          I said that in post #5 from my awesome Google abilities…..
                          Great minds....

Comment

Yes married. Spouse has always been a house wife staying home and taking care of the kids and house stuff. I spoke to a tax expert today and she said I can file an amended tax return on my side business for three years back. I would just pay the Medicare tax on those 3 years and that would get me 12 of the 23 points I need.

Comment

Working...
                            X