Moon phase and deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon phase and deer hunting

Interesting read from Mossy Oak about the effect the moon phase has on hunting deer: http://mossyoak.com/our-obsession/bl...xyz4U2_DHIH57U

Which side of the debate are you on?

I hunt, and fish, whenever I can whatever the phase is. Sure some moon phases might be better than others.

Comment

I think this has been put to bed several years ago. No evidence for the moon phases affecting deer movement to any appreciable amount. I do believe that the full moon is not as good as the new moon for normal deer movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I hunt, and fish, whenever I can whatever the phase is. Sure some moon phases might be better than others.
        Yes, sir, this strategy provides a lot of good results for many. Yet, we have a lot of others who also have good results that say this stuff does not matter...

Why we wanted to ask the question, to gauge what everyone thought here.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I think this has been put to bed several years ago. No evidence for the moon phases affecting deer movement to any appreciable amount. I do believe that the full moon is not as good as the new moon for normal deer movement.

Sorry, we must have missed that discussion or not been on TBH yet. We'll try to find the info you are talking about as we would love to hear what everyone thought.

Comment

Always try to hunt the moon when possible. However with limited hunting opportunities I will go anytime.
            Something that may cause an uproar, but I would expect the moon to have much less effect on the popular way of hunting in Texas.

Comment

Someone say nap time!? I lean toward the red moon having much more of an impact on deer movement and simple moon position vs. phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                Someone say nap time!? I lean toward the red moon having much more of an impact on deer movement and simple moon position vs. phase.
                Yes . . There is app that predicts the red moon . . Also a tv show I think on the pursuit channel . .

Comment

I have no doubt that the moon affects deer movement. All my kids and Grandkids have to be weekend warriors so they hunt when they can. Some weekends have lots better movement than others.

Comment

My observation for many years has been that pressure put on deer has the biggest effect on their movement.

Comment

This is probably the outlier but I killed my best bow buck one evening when the high was 85. Full moon and wind blowing 20 which is a lot in Montgomery. Went that evening because it was the only chance I had for awhile. I never saw the buck before and he came strolling out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        My observation for many years has been that pressure put on deer has the biggest effect on their movement.
                        Mic drop.

Comment

I hunt any phase but full. My favorites are in order.
                          First
                          Last
                          New.
                          Moon definitely effects game movement.

Comment

I believe that the major factors on deer movement are as follow:

Hunting pressure
                            Barometric pressure
                            Moon phase

I personally try to avoid "full" moon when hunting deer.

If I am hunting Africa, I prefer the "dark" moon. On a 10-day hunt, I want the dark moon in the middle of the 10 days. I try to avoid the full moon. Game will move, but not as good as on the dark moon.

I don't think moon phase has any impact on pronghorn antelope.

I'm not really sure about wild hogs and moon phase.

Comment

Wind and temp effects deer movement more than moon phrases I m o.

Comment

Working...
                              X