School me on GVWR and CDL stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on GVWR and CDL stuff

I'm the project manager of a smallish commercial concrete contractor in Austin. We run about 3 crews that drive a dodge 3500 GVWR(14,000)with a magnum trailer(GVWR according to dps was 14,000. Secretary is pulling paperwork to verify) to tow materials and a bobcat. Today I had to go pick up one of our trailers because a foreman got pulled over and was given a ticket for not having a CDL. He was told that he was required to have the CDL because the combined weight GVWR of trailer and truck were over the limit. Since I only drive a ram 1500 that is lighter I could go pick up the trailer and take it back to our yard. Is it true that he has to have a CDL to run this setup. Also we have some trailers that i know are about a 10,000 GVWR with the same kind of truck. Are those required to have CDL too? Any help is greatly appreciated because I'm trying to google up some answer but am getting contradictory info.

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

that is for in state only, weight limits are lower if you cross state lines

Comment

Your truck GVWR is 14k and your trailer GVWR is 14K. Combined (GCWR) is 28,000 lbs, which is over the CDL limit of 26,001 lbs. You could pull that trailer legally with any truck that has a GVWR if 12,000 lbs or less.

Comment

I know is sucks.I have a landscape co and bought a one ton a few years ago just to have a heavier truck and more tire on the road for safety purposes and started getting pulled over by pd.I lowered what my trailers were registered for 2500 lbs and made sure paper work was in truck.It continued being an issue had to go to court and see judge a few times cause some LE didnt like it. But I always won in the end.I got tired of fighting it and went back to running just 3/4 tons.It use to never be an issue but just like everything else money got involved and it became more complecated.At least that’s my take on it.So if you still can lower what your vehicle is registered for and make sure you don’t over load it.Thats another ticket.Or just go to running 3/4 tons and half tons. Or get some one A CDL then you have to make sure your rigs are CDL compliant.Sorry every thing is complicated these days.Once again just some of my experience and opinions.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I did a little digging and found out what happened within our company. This one worker has been pulled over probably 10 plus times in the last couple of months by the same group of leo's without a ticket. A few days ago he swapped trailers with one of our guys that has a cdl and it happened to be the one trailer with the higher gvwr and they busted him today. Live and learn but man it sucks.

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
          I know is sucks.I have a landscape co and bought a one ton a few years ago just to have a heavier truck and more tire on the road for safety purposes and started getting pulled over by pd.I lowered what my trailers were registered for 2500 lbs and made sure paper work was in truck.It continued being an issue had to go to court and see judge a few times cause some LE didnt like it. But I always won in the end.I got tired of fighting it and went back to running just 3/4 tons.It use to never be an issue but just like everything else money got involved and it became more complecated.At least that’s my take on it.So if you still can lower what your vehicle is registered for and make sure you don’t over load it.Thats another ticket.Or just go to running 3/4 tons and half tons. Or get some one A CDL then you have to make sure your rigs are CDL compliant.Sorry every thing is complicated these days.Once again just some of my experience and opinions.

Comment

Been there, paid the fines.

Comment

And the truck manufacturers keep battling to get higher gvwr on their trucks causing many 3/4 ton trucks to be too high also.

Comment

I was a fool doing this

I had to deliver a tractor to Edinburgh TX , and my buddy in bay city asked if I would bring back his combine head , the tractor dealership loaded it on my trailer
                And said I was good to go, I drove past the weigh station and got popped
                For driving without a cdl, the dealership had to hire me a attorney and ultimately take responsibility, my lesson was learned
                I don’t know but I think txdot changed something in 2010

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                  And the truck manufacturers keep battling to get higher gvwr on their trucks causing many 3/4 ton trucks to be too high also.
                  I was looking @ a 2500 ram and the salesman insisted it’s good to go pulling 19k , see above post I know it will definitely pull it
                  Very skeptical about legal

Comment

Get some farm license plates. If you can get it rolling you’re legal.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Get some farm license plates. If you can get it rolling you’re legal.
                      You own your land , and can register As farm

Comment

Your truck and trailer cant have GCWR over 26,001 lbs. The farm plates do not keep you out of this anymore either, do the research as the rules have changed. This is why you see many companies going to 3/4 ton trucks with 10K GVWR vs a 1 ton dually with 14k. If you own a newer 3500 dually with GVWR of 14,000lbs and buy a trailer with 2-7k axles-talk to your dealer about having the trailer derated to 12k. Then you just have to worry about getting scaled over 26,001 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                          I had to deliver a tractor to Edinburgh TX , and my buddy in bay city asked if I would bring back his combine head , the tractor dealership loaded it on my trailer

And said I was good to go, I drove past the weigh station and got popped

For driving without a cdl, the dealership had to hire me a attorney and ultimately take responsibility, my lesson was learned

I don’t know but I think txdot changed something in 2010

Doesn’t matter what your hauling, is based off of rated capacity so you could get the same ticket while empty.

Comment

Start buying 1 ton single wheels and it won’t be an issue. With a dually and any trailer with 8 lug axles you’re gonna be in CDL territory.

Comment

I just bought a new single wheel one ton Chevy that is rated at 10,100 to tow a trailer rated at 14,000 for this very reason. The paperwork/registrations are under the 26,001 limit so hopefully I can stay on the right side of the law without CDL.

Comment

Working...
                              X