Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you show me your cotton seed feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
    So the t post is just so it can't be pushed over??
    Not fastened to wire at all??
    ^^^ Thats correct. It allows the cage to move. . . but not fall over.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
      So the t post is just so it can't be pushed over??
      Not fastened to wire at all??
      Yep

Comment

I'm going to try it in Bosque if we can locate a mill
        Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          We subscribe to the "one center t-post" theory. Don't wire the cage to the t-post, so the deer can move the cage around to get all of the seed. The cage needs to be moveable.
          This is a way that I've seen work very well...

Comment

Following

Comment

We feed it on the ground. Fill up a small stock trailer once a week, drive around the ranch and put a pile beside the road every quarter mile or so. Come back a week later and you can't find one seed. Only time I've ever seen rain hurt it is if it rains heavy, for days and days on end. If that happens, you don't need any more cottonseed.

Comment

We bought a roll of 58-inch V-Mesh (165 ft) at Uvalco Supply Store and I think it ran a bit under $450. That's higher than giraffe tail but it beats the expense of pellet feeders by a long shot.

Here's what you'll need:

1. V-Mesh
                2. Tape measurer
                2. Bolt cutters
                3. Hog rings (approximately 10 per feeder)
                4. Hog ring clamps
                5. T-posts (one per feeder)
                6. T-post driver
                7. Young men with strong backs to work (lots of stooping involved)
                8. A drink to watch them work (or at least that's what my dad did while we built them)
                9. Cottonseed (hard as hell to find right now)

We cut the pens 80 inches long with bolt cutters, overlapped the ends 3-4 inches and tied them together with hog rings. This was my first go around and they are surprisingly simple to make. We completed 14 of them in about an hour with one man cutting the length and two more following him tying them together. Of course, that does not count t-post drive time--and we had a few drinks before we began. We didn't use the whole role on this trip but (theoretically) it should make 24.75 feeders. We used 6-ft t-posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
                  We feed it on the ground. Fill up a small stock trailer once a week, drive around the ranch and put a pile beside the road every quarter mile or so. Come back a week later and you can't find one seed. Only time I've ever seen rain hurt it is if it rains heavy, for days and days on end. If that happens, you don't need any more cottonseed.
                  Hey Bodey, where are you getting the cotton seed? I am gonna try to build a few of these out at our lease between Big Lake and Ozona. I cut through San Angelo on the way and it would be nice to source some of this stuff down towards your neck of the woods.

Comment

Check the Wall Coop and Gin, just east of San Angelo

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
                      Check the Wall Coop and Gin, just east of San Angelo
                      Will do, know exactly where it is. Used to hunt out there off of Susan's Peak Rd around Marathon Oil. Thanks

Comment

Pigs may not be able to eat it, but that doesnt stop them from thinking about it! Hopefully I can stick this bad boy before he does too much damage to all my feeding equipment. I dont know if hog panels will keep him out!

Onto the topic, I made mine 96" in length, so that when rolled up, they had about a 3' diameter. My feeders hold about 500 lbs a piece when full. I have had great success with them.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Where in Sinton did you get the cotton seed and do you know if they had anymore?
                          Fellas down south where Im at there are several Cotton Gins with tons of seed piled up. I live a few miles from Sinton. Get in tough with someone at Smith Gin in Odem, TX. There is also two others between Odem and Taft, not sure of the names. Im sure they would be glad to give it away unless they sell it in bulk.

Comment

[ATTACH]488131[/ATTACH]

Comment

^^^nice! Where are u hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by dkj8287 View Post
                                [ATTACH]488131[/ATTACH]
                                What's up with the gap in you pen and the 3 t-most there?

Comment

Working...
                                X