No announcement yet.

First Aoudad on Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like others said, they are more destructive than hogs. If you have everything staked down and tough feeders you will be fine. Your alfalfa feeder may be in trouble. Good luck. Hopefully a big one will show up for ya.

Comment

A TPWD biologist in west Texas told us to kill everyone of them we see. So I did and still do. Big rams are fun to hunt if free range in the mountains of west Texas, but they eat everything down to the ground and leave nothing but rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Like others said, they are more destructive than hogs. If you have everything staked down and tough feeders you will be fine. Your alfalfa feeder may be in trouble. Good luck. Hopefully a big one will show up for ya.
        Yep, they seem to like to knock stuff over and are hard headed, obviously. They also like to coax the feed out of the feeders. Kind of like some relatives - they are nice to have over for a few days but they become annoying pretty quickly.

Comment

We lost quite a few of our deer to anthrax so if it weren't for aoudad we wouldn't have much to shoot at besides pigs.

Comment

I hope you are a good welder! You will need to be if you have aoudad!

I also hope you don’t have any ASF stand and fill corn feeders! They will destroy those in one night! Also, if you have protein feeders with extended tubes, be prepared to have to repair/replace every one! I’ve been there!!!!

Other than that, good luck in getting a good one for the wall!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nice! It’s always good to see something new on the game cams. On/Off topic here, everyone that is talking about all the damage they do...why not sell some hunts? I’m sure there are plenty of folks that will pay a reasonable price to shoot a few rams/ewes. That could pay for feed bill, lease dues, land improvements. I get that most people don’t want total strangers showing up and shooting/wounding a bunch of animals but in a controlled environment this would be good for everyone. I know I’d pay for a weekend bow hunt/wife rifle hunt. Seems like a reasonable and lucrative way to control the population.
              Last edited by stickman; 06-11-2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I hope you are a good welder! You will need to be if you have aoudad!

I also hope you don’t have any ASF stand and fill corn feeders! They will destroy those in one night! Also, if you have protein feeders with extended tubes, be prepared to have to repair/replace every one! I’ve been there!!!!

Other than that, good luck in getting a good one for the wall!

Bisch

We build our feeders to last. No worries there. Hopefully a big ram will come home and hang out on my wall soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. Beautiful animals.

Comment

I had a couple made into tamales and they turned out very good

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                      Nice! It’s always good to see something new on the game cams. On/Off topic here, everyone that is talking about all the damage they do...why not sell some hunts? I’m sure there are plenty of folks that will pay a reasonable price to shoot a few rams/ewes. That could pay for feed bill, lease dues, land improvements. I get that most people don’t want total strangers showing up and shooting/wounding a bunch of animals but in a controlled environment this would be good for everyone. I know I’d pay for a weekend bow hunt/wife rifle hunt. Seems like a reasonable and lucrative way to control the population.
                      I would, but you can’t pattern them. They can show up at anytime from week to week.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                        I would, but you can’t pattern them. They can show up at anytime from week to week.
                        Makes sense. I don’t know much about them other than they make great mounts, tamales, and are supposedly worse than hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                          We build our feeders to last. No worries there. Hopefully a big ram will come home and hang out on my wall soon...

I hope you are right! I see the feed tube/bottom of that setup as a weak point that they will bang on and eventually tear up! I have 3 corn feeders and 2-2000# protein feeders in my shop now that they have beat to h-e-double l!!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

On another note, I have come up with a way to aoudad proof Lamco 1500# trough protein feeders!

Bisch

Comment

Like others have said, more destructive than hogs. The big ones look cool on the wall. But overall, only thing they are good for is bullet test subjects. Maybe jerky the little ones.

REDGUN holds the confirmed kill record on our ranch at 760yds.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X