2021 College Softball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    You should probably just stop dude. Jesus christ.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    AND we could say the same for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
      Obviously there are in athleticism between the two genders, but I think you are discounting some things that may look different as a lack of athleticism when maybe it isn't. If you get out on the field and throw, hit and run with some of these girls you would realize they are pretty athletic.
      Most of them throw the ball a lot harder than you realize, but they are on average smaller and throwing a much larger ball.

Wouldn’t disagree with that but that is exactly the point. To the eye it isn’t as appealing to watch.

I have never understood why their ball is so much bigger when they are so much smaller. Maybe to make it play to the size of the field? Has there ever been any talk of increasing the size of the field somewhat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2021 College Softball

Obviously there are in athleticism between the two genders, but I think you are discounting some things that may look different as a lack of athleticism when maybe it isn't. If you get out on the field and throw, hit and run with some of these girls you would realize they are pretty athletic.
        Most of them throw the ball a lot harder than you realize, but they are on average smaller and throwing a much larger ball.

I agree....plus the pitcher's mound is closer and the bases are closer, so you have to be pretty dang athletic and have great eyes to preform at those distances. I watched Texas play against North Texas up here when they came to town a few years ago ....I was impressed with what those girls do with a larger sphere. Dang ball at 60 mph gets to the plate quick.... and the good ones stay in the low 60s.

Here’s a conversion chart that takes in to account the the distance and gives what a 59-61 mph softball pitch is equivalent to baseball wise.

Last edited by Smart; 06-03-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

And I’m not belittling the ladies. They are obviously very talented to be doing what they are doing on this level. I’m just comparing the optics of the ladies’ game vs the guy’s game.

Comment

Originally posted by BRust View Post
            Fouts for Alabama is bringing it tonight 14K's thru 6 innings
            Fouts almost always brings it, she is tough.

Comment

I'm in the only softball group. More entertaining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                You should probably just stop dude. Jesus christ.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                Why don't you give it up. You have your opinion and I have mine. But yours for sure ain't any better than mine.

I can state a lot of things about the athleticism of quite a few of these girls compared to you at your best, but you wouldn't believe any of it. I have played with guys that played college and professional baseball. I am not saying these girls are as athletic, but they aren't scrubs and you would be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Wouldn’t disagree with that but that is exactly the point. To the eye it isn’t as appealing to watch.

I have never understood why their ball is so much bigger when they are so much smaller. Maybe to make it play to the size of the field? Has there ever been any talk of increasing the size of the field somewhat?

Some schools have increased the size of the field but only slightly, maybe 10 to 20 feet. Much more than that would likely quite a few home runs out of the game and they would have to increase the distance between bases as well I would think.
                  To Smart's point, the ball gets to the plate in a hurry and there are quite a few pitchers these days that are consistently mid to upper 60's. Fouts and a couple others are consistently around 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I agree....plus the pitcher's mound is closer and the bases are closer, so you have to be pretty dang athletic and have great eyes to preform at those distances. I watched Texas play against North Texas up here when they came to town a few years ago ....I was impressed with what those girls do with a larger sphere. Dang ball at 60 mph gets to the plate quick.... and the good ones stay in the low 60s.

Here’s a conversion chart that takes in to account the the distance and gives what a 59-61 mph softball pitch is equivalent to baseball wise.

SO when she is 71-73 that equals to 101-102. Also enjoying the conversation.

Comment

Pretty tough to hit I would think. Rachel Garcia is throwing in that range as well. Aroldis Chapman of softball territory.

Comment

I umpire baseball, mostly High School Varsity but have done some college games as well. The game from HS to College gets much quicker and cleaner because when you get to this level the kids know what they are doing and anticipate the ball and play much better. I will say that that baseball hurts when it hits you at 90+ MPH, I've got a couple bruises from today to attest to that. This being said I do like watching the girls play and am watching the UCLA v Fla St game right now. I do this just for the pure enjoyment of it. These grils are talented.

EDIT: One of the hardest things to do is hit a round ball with a round bat, no room for error.
                        Last edited by Richard S.; 06-03-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

2021 College Softball

Some schools have increased the size of the field but only slightly, maybe 10 to 20 feet. Much more than that would likely quite a few home runs out of the game and they would have to increase the distance between bases as well I would think.
                            To Smart's point, the ball gets to the plate in a hurry and there are quite a few pitchers these days that are consistently mid to upper 60's. Fouts and a couple others are consistently around 70.

70s? . Son of a...

Comment

Smart..... YEA that is bringing it

Comment

Smart..... YEA that is bringing it
                                It'll get there in a hurry. I have caught for a couple girls that throw in the low 60's and it is quick.

Met a Dad one time working with his daughter who was throwing around 60, she was about 14 or 15. He put a hitting tee up (about 3 feet in front of himself) for her to work on her curve, try to make it break after the tee. He wore no mask. I was just waiting for one to clip the tee and hit him square in the teeth. Dude was nuts, and had plenty of 'em I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X