Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time OTC Colorado Elk hunt advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boots

You'll hear "good boots" drilled into your head when asking this question. I must have not walked enough miles or not had a heavy enough pack 'cause this po boy took his cheap Walmart clearance boots and didn't have any problem. I didn't go OTC but definitely traversed some mountains. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
      You'll hear "good boots" drilled into your head when asking this question. I must have not walked enough miles or not had a heavy enough pack 'cause this po boy took his cheap Walmart clearance boots and didn't have any problem. I didn't go OTC but definitely traversed some mountains. Good luck.
      I think we all did it in some Walmart boots back in the day, and no one ever came out worse for the wear.
      Everybody soft nowadays so you gotta have all that high dollar crap to protect your weak ankles...(including me).
      My go to is a pair of Russels.
      Re-vamped, and re-soled multiple times, but weve been together for 22yrs.
      Its certainly no where near what people make it out to be.
      The locals that live in the mountains will be in Walmart stuff, everyone from Texas will be in the high dollar stuff.
      Being in shape is all that really matters imo.

Comment

The important think is boots that fit and are broke in. I don't eve wear boots. I wear hiking shoes unless I'm in snow.

Comment

My son and I hunted elk in colorado last nov for the first time. The mountains kicked my butt. My son did better. We never seen an elk on public hunting ground. We had a bull tag and a cow tag. We seen neither. We did see hundreds of other hunters. Even when my son and 2 other guys humped 4 miles up the mountain they could see a sea of orange walking around. Tough hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            The important think is boots that fit and are broke in. I don't eve wear boots. I wear hiking shoes unless I'm in snow.
            Same here. Even in snow I usually stay in hikers.

The only issue I find in cheaper boots is the rubber absolutely sucks when temps get below about 15 degrees. The rubber doesn't flex, and stops gripping. If I throw my kenne's on, I can go to -10 with tons of grip and flex. And my feet stay warm.

Comment

There’s a thread Around the Campfire called “The Elk Thread.” It would be worth it to grab some beer and spend time going through that from the beginning.

Lots of good advice in this thread so far. Exercise way more than you think you need to. Cardio and a pack with weights up and down hill. Stairs or stadium steps if you have access to them. I built a wood box for step-ups. It’s mind-numbingly boring but it helps.

Practice hiking in your boots with pack weight and do a lot of side-hilling when you can. Great gear helps but is not absolutely essential to have a great hunt. You can have a good hunt and be successful with whatever your budget allows. Boot recommendations are hard because everyone’s foot is different and it would depend on what kind of area you’re hunting. I like a light boot, almost like a running shoe, so I wear the Salomon X Ultra Mid boots.

Your ATV question and answer will depend on the area you’re going. Some places you can use it, some you won’t be able to. Just know if you have one and are using it, so are lots of other people in that area.

It’s fun researching all the gear, but spend more time learning about elk. You’ll increase your chances way more learning the how/why/where/when of their behavior than you will learning about which tent to use. Elk 101 is a great recommendation given earlier. There are lots of podcasts available that dive into what to look for as well. Don’t get too overwhelmed picking the perfect OTC unit. Figure out your criteria, find a place that meets that criteria and just go for it.

Watch some videos on cleaning one using the gutless method. Practice on a hogs or exotics here before your trip if you can. Think about meat storage in the field and figure out how to tie your game bags up if you’re successful.

The top 2 pieces of advice I would give you are to train hard and to level-set your expectations. Colorado OTC can be very difficult. I’ve had hunts where I’ve seen elk every day and I’ve had another hunt where I hiked 50 miles across 3 different units and never saw an elk. The hunt itself will most likely not be what you see on TV/YouTube.

Most states have seen an increase of 20-30% (or more) applicants for tags over the last couple years. Lots more people are trying to get tags, and with the increase in applicants, fewer people are getting them. That leads everyone else into the OTC areas. Idaho sold out pretty quick this year so that leaves people trying to figure out something in Colorado OTC. Expect company.

Very generally speaking, the further you get from roads, trails, and parking lots/camp grounds, the better you’ll be. Not always the case though. You will see people, probably hear them calling, and they may even walk through your camp. If you’re close to a campground or stay close to a maintained trail system, you will probably see hikers. Know and expect to see people going in and it won’t be such a bummer when it happens to you on the mountain.

One of the areas I go is between 10 and 13 miles back, with the last few miles off old, un-maintained trails. I’ve seen multiple hunters every year I’ve hunted that area. Further in doesn’t always mean it will be better or that you won’t see people. It can, but not necessarily.

Again depending on area and availability, you might be able to get a bear tag as well. Could be a cool opportunity tag and only about $100.

Above everything else enjoy it. The mountains in the fall are a fun place. Have fun. Take pictures. Enjoy the experience.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Pack plenty of Skittles.

Don't walk faster than you can breath ~ Maurice Chambers
                Last edited by Traildust; 05-14-2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  There’s a thread Around the Campfire called “The Elk Thread.” It would be worth it to grab some beer and spend time going through that from the beginning.

Lots of good advice in this thread so far. Exercise way more than you think you need to. Cardio and a pack with weights up and down hill. Stairs or stadium steps if you have access to them. I built a wood box for step-ups. It’s mind-numbingly boring but it helps.

Practice hiking in your boots with pack weight and do a lot of side-hilling when you can. Great gear helps but is not absolutely essential to have a great hunt. You can have a good hunt and be successful with whatever your budget allows. Boot recommendations are hard because everyone’s foot is different and it would depend on what kind of area you’re hunting. I like a light boot, almost like a running shoe, so I wear the Salomon X Ultra Mid boots.

Your ATV question and answer will depend on the area you’re going. Some places you can use it, some you won’t be able to. Just know if you have one and are using it, so are lots of other people in that area.

It’s fun researching all the gear, but spend more time learning about elk. You’ll increase your chances way more learning the how/why/where/when of their behavior than you will learning about which tent to use. Elk 101 is a great recommendation given earlier. There are lots of podcasts available that dive into what to look for as well. Don’t get too overwhelmed picking the perfect OTC unit. Figure out your criteria, find a place that meets that criteria and just go for it.

Watch some videos on cleaning one using the gutless method. Practice on a hogs or exotics here before your trip if you can. Think about meat storage in the field and figure out how to tie your game bags up if you’re successful.

The top 2 pieces of advice I would give you are to train hard and to level-set your expectations. Colorado OTC can be very difficult. I’ve had hunts where I’ve seen elk every day and I’ve had another hunt where I hiked 50 miles across 3 different units and never saw an elk. The hunt itself will most likely not be what you see on TV/YouTube.

Most states have seen an increase of 20-30% (or more) applicants for tags over the last couple years. Lots more people are trying to get tags, and with the increase in applicants, fewer people are getting them. That leads everyone else into the OTC areas. Idaho sold out pretty quick this year so that leaves people trying to figure out something in Colorado OTC. Expect company.

Very generally speaking, the further you get from roads, trails, and parking lots/camp grounds, the better you’ll be. Not always the case though. You will see people, probably hear them calling, and they may even walk through your camp. If you’re close to a campground or stay close to a maintained trail system, you will probably see hikers. Know and expect to see people going in and it won’t be such a bummer when it happens to you on the mountain.

One of the areas I go is between 10 and 13 miles back, with the last few miles off old, un-maintained trails. I’ve seen multiple hunters every year I’ve hunted that area. Further in doesn’t always mean it will be better or that you won’t see people. It can, but not necessarily.

Again depending on area and availability, you might be able to get a bear tag as well. Could be a cool opportunity tag and only about $100.

Above everything else enjoy it. The mountains in the fall are a fun place. Have fun. Take pictures. Enjoy the experience.

Good luck to you!
                  Last yr they dropped the bear tags to $50 after the season started.
                  Will do it again this yr from what I heard.
                  Just some fyi.

Comment

Go get an old school compass. Don't rely on your phone!

Comment

That's some good advise MooseontheLoose. Thank you! I know the cardio thing is going to get me. Not that I'm not in shape but I'm sure I'll be more out of shape than I think once I get up there. Planning on just taking it slow and steady, not going to try and rush to waypoints or anything.
                      I plan on it CBHunter. I'm kinda old school so I'll be brining an analog compass and paper maps. I love reading maps anyway. Good down-time material. lol

Comment

Buy the small game license if it won't brake the budget. I saw/encountered lots of grouse while there and it would have have been fun to arrow a few to eat at dinner.

Comment

Leukotape is your friend for blisters.

MooseontheLoose hit the nail on the head.

Good luck and find some stairs to train on with your pack. get your hip flexors, abductors and adductors in shape, you won't be just stepping straight forward over deadfall.

Comment

Getting in shape is very important, but no matter how good of shape your in the altitude will kick your but. If you can arrive 3 or 4 days before your hunt to acclimate it would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                              Getting in shape is very important, but no matter how good of shape your in the altitude will kick your but. If you can arrive 3 or 4 days before your hunt to acclimate it would help a lot.
                              This. I was very prepared... arrived at 10k ft. Got out hiking over two miles and all of a sudden I'm cramping. My weight wasnt too heavy, but it was just like something sucked all my endurance out the window. Hiking inclines that were just small stairways essentially beat me up, even though I knew I was more than capable of it. I managed fine and got into my spot at 11k ft. Dpent a few days and was good. Got snow and 0 degrees, suddenly it was like all the air fell out. Breathing like I ran a marathon just walking around with no weight.

Comment

I appreciate all the help guys. Going to try and just take it kinda easy and enjoy the experience and get accustomed to the elevation the first couple days and then hunt the plan after that. Never thought about the small game license thing. Good idea. Also like the idea of a bear tag but not sure if there'll be a descent bear population where I'm looking to go so not sure it'd be worth it.
                                Side note on the whole exercising thing. I get it. I work out and do cardio and all that and I race cross-county dirt bikes and after every race, I'm dying for the next 3 days so no matter how much I train, I know to expect an *****-whooping when it comes down to it. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X