Woodturning thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
    Bassmat by the way I have watched your antler ring video over and over, you have a steady hand for sure and your work is awesome.
    Thank you! Is it the original Vari grind system that you have? Looks like it comes in two sizes a larger and smaller, if thats the case I totally understand now how it might not work for your gouge.

Comment

Here’s some pens I turned. I’ve got about 2 dozen done so far. The top one is made from oak. The bolt action pen is made from box elder and the bottom is a pencil I made for my daughter and it’s made out of mesquite and acrylic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
          Here’s some pens I turned. I’ve got about 2 dozen done so far. The top one is made from oak. The bolt action pen is made from box elder and the bottom is a pencil I made for my daughter and it’s made out of mesquite and acrylic.
          Nice! Which mandrel do you use? Can you post a pic. of it with a simple explanation of how you turn a pen?

Comment

Carbide cutters mostly. I made my own carbide tools.

Comment

Started with a PSI benchtop lathe and made tons of pens, calls and boxes. Haven't turned in a couple years since we moved into the new place. Here's a few of them
              Attached Files

Comment

I will be back on this one tomorrow while I am at work.
                I dont have to may pics on this laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                  Started with a PSI benchtop lathe and made tons of pens, calls and boxes. Haven't turned in a couple years since we moved into the new place. Here's a few of them
                  Very nice, and you displayed them nicely. How did you drill the antler for the brass tube that goes inside the pen kits?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                    Very nice, and you displayed them nicely. How did you drill the antler for the brass tube that goes inside the pen kits?
                    I tried many ways to do it. Hand drill, Drill press with and without a pen blank vise...but the best and actually easiest way I found was on the the lathe just like the way he does in the linked video. I always start me a small starter hole on both ends so it will line up easier than what he does.

BTW great idea for a thread

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxQOGL3A6Xk"]Drilling antler..[/ame]
                    Last edited by WildThings; 11-29-2020, 11:42 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

...BTW great idea for a thread...

It was eaglegolfj idea, I just took the idea and got it going. Good video with lots of ideas in it.
                      Notice it didn’t look like he wasn’t using a mandrel? I think he was just turning with the bushings and using a live center in the tail stock and a dead drive center in the head stock?

Comment

Some pens and other stuff

A few of mine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pens
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some duck calls
                            Attached Files

Comment

pen, bottle opener