Gun Room with Hardiebacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
    It depends on what the value is you're trying to protect. Hardie is not stopping fire or a thief. I have built two for myself. One with 1" steel plate and a 16" concrete floor with rebar on 8" centers and triple mat. The other with 10" concrete walls double mat rebar. Both are probably overkill but they works as storm shelters too. I also own a few valuables that I dont want to go missing. I own a construction company so I am saving money doing it in house.
    This! This is an open forum as we all know.

Comment

Originally posted by btreybig View Post
      Not on a tight budget but slab is already poured. So already past the concrete stage. My thought is a room equivalent too a 45-60 min gun safe. Steel door will have a bio-metric key pad or something equivalent. Just more worried about the fire aspect of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You could do 4" 16 gauge metal studs for walls and ceiling with double layer of 5/8" firecode sheetrock with mineral wool insulation. I know someone will barge in and say why 16 ga. and it's because I don't know the room size and span.

Comment

There was a thread a few years ago about a gun safe room . Was pretty awesome.

Comment

This one is built out out of 8” blocks with 5/8 rebar in every hole filled with 5000psi concrete all the way around. Ceiling is 8” concrete top. With 1/2” rebar 12x12” centers. Slab was already poured for this one but it’s tied in with 5/8 rebar drilled into the slab at an angle and then bent straight into the blocks. Was a little under $10k including vault door. 8’x10’ only wish I’d made it bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
            This one is built out out of 8” blocks with 5/8 rebar in every hole filled with 5000psi concrete all the way around. Ceiling is 8” concrete top. With 1/2” rebar 12x12” centers. Slab was already poured for this one but it’s tied in with 5/8 rebar drilled into the slab at an angle and then bent straight into the blocks. Was a little under $10k including vault door. 8’x10’ only wish I’d made it bigger.

Roof top is 6” thick not 8” and it has 5/8” rebar at 12” centers. It was poured all at same time as walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
              Roof top is 6” thick not 8” and it has 5/8” rebar at 12” centers. It was poured all at same time as walls.
              Hopefully the slab was designed with the gun room walls in mind.

Comment

i have a hammer lol you need cinder block rebar and concrete

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                  Hopefully the slab was designed with the gun room walls in mind.
                  Yes sir. Has 14”x30” beam all the way around and our fireplace does too.

Comment

Working...
                  X