Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar Microdiscectomy

Has anyone had it done?

I’m scheduled to have one done early next month for a disc herniation on my l5/s1. It couldn’t be any worse timing coming right before the start of season but it’s gotten to the point that I can’t even stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and basically been on bedrest for the past two weeks. I tried PT, Chiro, massage, pain management, etc but nothing lasted longer than a day. I tell you what guys, this is the most debilitating pain I’ve ever had. From my lower back all the way down to the side of my foot on the left side. Nothing but laying down makes it subside. So if you have had the surgery:

How long did your recovery take?
    Any chance I could get back to shooting within a week or two?

I’ve had 3 of those surgeries, starting at L/3 and going right on down. The surgery itself is simple and you’ll get immediate relief. However, you really need to heed the docs warnings and cautions about overdoing it afterward. If you follow instructions, 3-4 weeks and you are good as new with the exception of lifting much weight.

Comment

L5-L4, L5-S1 out 5 1/5 months. 16 yrs ago, time for round 2.
      good luck, you're kind of out of choices. did i mention the sixteen good years?

Comment

I’ve had two of them.

Surgery was easy. Follow the docs orders and take things slow. You’re going to feel so much better you’re going to want to do everything all at once. Don’t rush it or you’ll pay for it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had one done on my L4/L5 3 years ago on October 14th. I was back in a tree stand by my birthdday, November 13th. Now I had back up for helping pull an animal out of the woods and load it up because that still wasn’t an option, but I could easily climb into a stand and shoot my bow. You’re going to feel GREAT and glad you did it!

Comment

Good to hear!

I just got a vertix from the fiancé for my birthday and put close to $1000 in accessories on it before all this happened. Haven’t even got to shoot it but maybe 5 times. I did get it to the local shop and cranked down to 60 lbs though just in case.

I’m still in my 20s and the thought of surgery scared me but I’m at a breaking point, tried driving the other day and made it about two blocks before hauling tail home to grab an ice pack and hit the couch lol

Comment

^

Comment

I have not had that done yet but, I am having a lumbar laminectomy on 2 levels done next Friday on L2/L3 & L4/L5. Best of luck to you!

Comment

I was working 9 days later. It's been 5 or 6 years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

L4-L5 and the L5-S1 done last August. 7 days later I went on a spot and stalk ram hunt. Walked out of the hospital the same day. Amazing relief!! After 4 years of bad sciatica, I was done with the pain! I walked a lot the first week and that’s what helped heal it faster. Laying up is not good for the healing process. Just listen to your body and know when to stop!

Comment

Well I got it done this morning. Showed up at the hospital at 6 and walked out at 10:30. It was a very quick procedure, the worst part was hooking up the iv (I don’t do needles)

The sciatica pain is gone for the most part, still a little numbness on the side of my foot but I can live with that. I’m actually able to stand up for more than 30 seconds at a time and sit! It’s shocking how oblivious I was to the extent of the disability. I just put up with it for so long hoping it would go away. Just glad I went through with the surgery up to this point.

Comment

Bed rest for a week, then start walking short distances, gradually increase distance once or twice a day. I was back at work in 2 weeks.

You'll need to reprogram your lifestyle about lifting heavy unless you want to go under the knife again. I've been good for 13 years with only a few sore days from over doing it.

Comment

This is exactly what I'm looking at having done. Mine is also an L4/L5 and L5/S1. I was referred to Neil Badlani in Houston by a couple of colleagues that have had it done.
                          My back used to "go out" once a year only. Blinding sciatica pain for 2-3 days and then I was ok. But it's been a daily struggle now for pretty much the entire year. I'm over it.

To you guys that say lifting heavy is out, do you mean forever or just during the recovery? What about running? I'm definitely not a small guy but I've run a few triathlons and want to get back into that.

Comment

Texaslongball. Heavy lifting is relative. I’ve had it done. I was a big power lifter. I still lift but just do moderate lifts and isolate instead of the big power movements. I don’t do anything other than curls with Olympic bar. I still grab 80# and up to do my dumbbell chest work. No more sets of 4-5 for me either. I’m 10-15 reps now. You can still get muscle fatigue just gotta be smarter about it

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Texaslongball. Heavy lifting is relative. I’ve had it done. I was a big power lifter. I still lift but just do moderate lifts and isolate instead of the big power movements. I don’t do anything other than curls with Olympic bar. I still grab 80# and up to do my dumbbell chest work. No more sets of 4-5 for me either. I’m 10-15 reps now. You can still get muscle fatigue just gotta be smarter about it
                              Thanks.

Geez, I just found this and it sounds like he had a hell of a time:

Comment

Working...
                              X