No announcement yet.

Fishing etiquette....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to fish with a couple of brothers. One of them had a BIL that was a badazz. One time they were wading & a couple of guys came blowing in & drifted right up on them. Like rod touching distance. Words were exchanged & next thing my buddy knew his BIL was in the boat & commenced to whup up on the 2 guys in there. My buddy said his BIL calmly jumped out of the boat & said I bet they mouth off further from waders next time. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Wouldn't it be more polite to idle by them? Those fish in the back lakes have to travel to get there through that canal. All fishermen deserve respect, regardless of their means, methods and location.

I go by on plane as slow as I can. If I come off plane in gonna push a 4' wall of water on em. If you play in the street expect to see cars!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
          I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return
          You showed them by killing them fish.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Talk about a sense of entitlement. This post is heavy in hypocrisy.

Comment

Those dang youngsters getting out and enjoying a day on the water and catching fish how they want to, shame on them. That's just terrible. If they can't catch a fish like you do they don't deserve anything you get to enjoy.

Seriously though, what does it matter to you how they catch a fish or post on social media? Is your life that bad that things like that eat you up? I've been fishing for many years and catch fish with lures, live bait, cut bait, on a fly rod...whatever I'm feeling that day. And at the end of the day I dont give a rat's azz what someone thinks of it. I'm enjoying a day on the water in my boat that is non of your business how I obtained.

My boys are 10, 7, and 4. They haven't exactly mastered the lure strategy yet. I dont hesitate to let them soak a little live bait if it means they have a huge smile on their faces at the end of the day, and I really dont care what you think about that.

Point is, to each their own how they go and catch a fish. This thread was about the negative attitudes towards others out on the water, and after reading your post, sounds like it's about you.

Who cares how someone catches a fish, theres more than one way to do it, your way ain't the only way, get over it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Happens every year on Lake Livingston, Park the boat the family and I start getting bites and next thing you know you have 3 boats pulling up trying to get in on the good luck...Common courtesy is a thing of the past

Comment

Lately my biggest issue has been IDIOT jet ski people. Drifting a small bay and jet ski idiots running super close. Then they wave.

Stale chex mix and cheetos stay in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Used to fish with a couple of brothers. One of them had a BIL that was a badazz. One time they were wading & a couple of guys came blowing in & drifted right up on them. Like rod touching distance. Words were exchanged & next thing my buddy knew his BIL was in the boat & commenced to whup up on the 2 guys in there. My buddy said his BIL calmly jumped out of the boat & said I bet they mouth off further from waders next time. LOL!
                    I saw something similar on Sabine once. Boat rolls in on some waders...right between two of them. One of the waders threw his arms in the air like "WTH".(I was too far away to hear words) This BIG guy jumped off the boat and went after the smaller of the two waders and that little ******* beat that big man like it was his favorite hobby. It wasn't tough for that big man to get ahold of that little wading fellow but it was **** sure hard for him to let go of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      It's getting bad. No one can just enjoy fishing these days. It's all a competition for who can "limit" and cheesy dead fish on a deck pictures. A lot of boats on the coast are pretty much just a status symbols with too many of those types of people at the helm. They don't care who's day they ruin as long as they can tell their peers they caught fish.
                      Hey, then when you're not limited out and back to the ramp by 7:30, it was a "grind"

Comment

70 year old friend of mine was fishing up on a shallow flat off Marathon in the Keys when two jet skis decided to run doughnuts around them. He threw a live crab across one of the jet skis and the line went across the drivers neck causing him to fall off. He got up and walked over to the boat , threatening to whip my friends butt. Dennis, on the poling platform jabbed the guy in the chest with the pointy end of the pole and told him to leave before he got hurt bad. He left, and didn't return. Idiots are everywhere.

Comment

Went to Reimers on the Pedernales to catch some white bass in my Kayak. Its a thin strip of water and you need to try to be as quite and courteous as possible. Always try to make sure that your are not crossing in front of other fishermen or disturbing their fish. Had an gentlemen in his late fifties show up with his two grand kids in a small boat. They drove right thru everyone. I was anchored up just off the main channel on the deep side of the river bed and he comes over and drops his anchor in front of me no less than 20 yards and the whole time literally screaming at his kids probably around 12 & 8. . IF I ever hear " DO YOU WANT A SANDWICH" screamed for the 42nd time again I will lose it. Kids were miserable. I pulled my anchor and headed to another spot further upstream, probably 1/4 mile or so. As soon as I got set up and caught another fish, here he came again. Almost swamped me, set up 30 yards away. I pulled anchor and just left. Can't fix stupid.

Comment

I have always found that a big weight that accidentally snaps off the line when casting seems to make rude people give you more space.

Comment

Some of these stories are incredible...

Comment

You should be on a lake when one of those new high school bass tournaments is going on, the most un-courteous not to mention dangerous boating I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X