Axis map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis map

Has anyone ever found a map of Texas showing the concentrations of free ranging Axis? When I get serious about buying property it will be a big consideration to me.

Bump. Interesting idea

Comment

The Hill Country.

The axis deer was first introduced into Texas in the 1930s and now occurs in at least forty-five counties. Largest numbers occur on the Edwards Plateau, where the semiopen, dry scrub forest vegetation resembles that of its native habitat in India.

Link from where I took info.
      The Handbook of Texas is your number one authoritative source for Texas history. Read this entry and thousands more like it on our site.

Comment

I know they over run boerne.

Comment

All over Bandera, Boerne, spring branch

Comment

Roosevelt/Junction would be heavy with them as well

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
              Has anyone ever found a map of Texas showing the concentrations of free ranging Axis? When I get serious about buying property it will be a big consideration to me.
              And be sure to hire a Realtor that understands your considerations...

Comment

Kendall,Kerr,Real,Eastern Edwards, northern Uvalde County, Northern Kinney County, Kimble county, Gillespie County, Mason County, McCullough County Sutton County, Menard County,etc....lots of counties have them, with western Kerr, Kendall, Real and Eastern Edwards probably having the highest concentrations.

Comment

Some bright young A&M Student could get their PHD by charting their spread in Texas.

Comment

Still waiting for them to show up in Blanco county!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Some bright young A&M Student could get their PHD by charting their spread in Texas.
                      they are nomadic and move in and out of areas with heavy hunting pressure. my inlaws live in south western blanco county (200 yards from the Kendall County line) and they had some axis move in about 8 years ago. the locals acted like it was a free for all and they killed several and then they hauled butt and havent' been seen since.

buddy of mine did a lot of land clearing work up by possum kingdom and he saw a bunch while he was up there.

I know several ranchers in Gillespie that have never seen one on their ranch, same goes for guys in bandera, but you drive 10 miles down the road and they are infested with them.

few things to keep in mind....axis like water. If your in a river bottom or a drainage and in one of the counties mentioned, odds are you will see them every once in awhile, they may even be the predominant animal there. that's not to say you won't see them miles away from water but they do concentrate along river bottoms and drainages.

I went to high school in spring branch (comal county), we never had them out there 10 years ago, then we started seeing a few here and there, now they are everywhere in the Guad river bottom, we see them dead on the side of 281 all the time now.
                      Last edited by txtrophy85; 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
                        Still waiting for them to show up in Blanco county!
                        far werstern and south western blanco counties. not in huge numbers but they are there.

Comment

I live a couple miles east of Boerne on hwy 46. Getting to the point we see more axis than WT. Doing our best to keep numbers in check. Killed one last night.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                            I live a couple miles east of Boerne on hwy 46. Getting to the point we see more axis than WT. Doing our best to keep numbers in check. Killed one last night.
                            Need any help with that?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              far werstern and south western blanco counties. not in huge numbers but they are there.
                              We are smack dab in the middle, just south of Johnson City. Maybe one day. I saw a lone sika doe a couple of years ago on the neighbors place while driving in but nothing since.

Comment

Working...
                              X