Lt Governor? who and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
    Dale, this is what I have against him as a Texas educator since 1982. He consistently voted down adding state revenue to public schools, even as they have grown exponentially. He will not support the state contributing more than $75 dollars toward health insurance, it has been the same since 2002. He voted to cut $5.4 bil from public education. He is pro voucher, which is not a bad idea in some ways, but his goal is to privatize schools so that teachers will then have to pay into a 401k of their own. What does that do to me? It removes the thousands of teachers that will come after me and drastically affect my TRS retirement. He wants counties to take up more of the slack for public education, so that the state will not have to pay in as much toward public education. That is why property taxes continue to soar. Those are some reasons I am looking for an alternative, and did not support him or Greg Abbott, his cohort in this. They are part of the 'do nothing" group in Austin, unless of course it benefits them.
    Well said!! Is is what he hasn't done, because he openly opposes public education. Don't believe the property tax relief it is smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
      I will vote Mostly Red; but Dan Patrick. He helped screw the Houston and Dallas Fireman out of half their pension. He is Not a friend of the Teachers either. Their insurance has sky rocketed and no pay raises as promised; while he tries to screw them out of their pension. He is a failed buisness man and he is not from Texas. Just cause you are a Republican does not you mean have my vote.
      1000%
      I have never voted anything but Red, tomorrow that changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        So, I can vote for people who "say" they will take away my guns or people who "say" they won't. I'll take the one who say the right thing over the ones who say the wrong thing every day of the week. Oh, and, if you don't like what's going on with state funding, the private sector awaits you.
        I have been in both the state funding issues hands down are more screwed up!! Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
          1000%
          I have never voted anything but Red, tomorrow that changes.
          amen

Comment

Dale, this is what I have against him as a Texas educator since 1982. He consistently voted down adding state revenue to public schools, even as they have grown exponentially. He will not support the state contributing more than $75 dollars toward health insurance, it has been the same since 2002. He voted to cut $5.4 bil from public education. He is pro voucher, which is not a bad idea in some ways, but his goal is to privatize schools so that teachers will then have to pay into a 401k of their own. What does that do to me? It removes the thousands of teachers that will come after me and drastically affect my TRS retirement. He wants counties to take up more of the slack for public education, so that the state will not have to pay in as much toward public education. That is why property taxes continue to soar. Those are some reasons I am looking for an alternative, and did not support him or Greg Abbott, his cohort in this. They are part of the 'do nothing" group in Austin, unless of course it benefits them.

Thank you.

As an educator, which do you see as the best alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have nothing more to add to this except he comes off as a phony on the commercial with old truck and work gloves

Comment

If schools have grown exponentially, then it's obvious that the tax base has as well.

I guess I don't understand the correlation between property tax, most of which goes the the ISD's, and the school districts needing money from the state. Educate me teachers.

Comment

education funding has been cut, therefore putting the burden on the local districts. This in return is causing property taxes to go up

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    So, I can vote for people who "say" they will take away my guns or people who "say" they won't. I'll take the one who say the right thing over the ones who say the wrong thing every day of the week. Oh, and, if you don't like what's going on with state funding, the private sector awaits you.
                    So, you are basing your vote on one issue. Gun rights. Got it. That is your platform on why you vote. You are told what you want to hear on one issue, so you base your vote on that one thing and that lip service. I actually look at the whole picture, because I know that I am not going to agree with everything that my candidate says and I might agree with something that the democrats say. Dan Patrick has been saying the "right thing" about education for years, yet been doing the complete opposite. If you researched, instead of just listened to what people say, you would see that. But I guess since he said the "right" thing about one issue, you are going to vote for him. Just to let you know, the people who say they are going to take away your guns are really not going to do it. Take off your tinfoil hat.

And I knew it was coming. The "you chose to be a teacher and if you dont like it, get out of teaching and go do something else" comment and way of thinking. I am surprised that it did not come earlier in the thread.Did you not read any of my earlier posts? As evidence by your comment, I highly doubt it. Go back and read what I posted about my choice to become an educator. It is not just about me and what I make as a teacher and coach. It has to do with the future of our state and the way it is headed. Education and funding should be at the forefront of everyone's minds. If not, you are going to cry and moan about your school district not having enough teachers to serve your kid. You are going to complain and moan about the teachers are not qualified to teach your kid. You are going to whine and moan about the coaches not calling the right play or not knowing what they are doing, because all the coaches that knew what they were doing took your advice and got out of coaching to join the private sector. You are going to gripe and moan because your little Jimmy is being coached in some sport by somebody who cant spell "ball", yet the district had to hire him 2 days before school started because they needed a teacher and had to hire anyone that could breath because the quality coaches left. And then when the quality teachers have taken your advice and left for the private sector, you will gripe and moan about that because they wanted to make more money and they really never cared about your kid in the first place. So, either way, you are going to gripe about one thing or another when it comes to public school funding!

But as long as that person said he is not going to take away my guns makes it alright.
                    Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-24-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I was going to post something.......

but what's the point?

Comment

The exponential growth of students does not necessarily translate to more property tax revenue. Just because you have more mouths to feed does not make your property more valuable. The influx of "foreign exchange students" with special needs means more programs, and that means that the dollars are cut that much thinner to meet state mandates by our political heroes in Austin. We have a proposal that Patrick supports, school vouchers. In some cases it will be very beneficial to families needing to be able to go to a private school to escape an ISD that is failing the clientele. It will not help many rural districts because the choices are limited. It will not help student who have handicaps because most private schools do not want to take on the burden they become. It will also take public dollars and put them into private teachers salaries, and if the state was willing to make up the shortfall in my TRS account, then that would be a start. I think there are too many programs, too many mid management people who have no functional part of the education process that make too much money for what little they do. It is a mess, and Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick support it. The need for cutting regulations and mandates in Texas education is vast. They mean well, but they want us to shoulder the greatest burden and not do their part. The Texas Supreme Court agrees with me on that. That is all I have to say.

Comment

Pretty much sums it up

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Thank you.

As an educator, which do you see as the best alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Well, it was Scott Milder in the primary. Now, in my opinion, it is Mike Collier. Anyone really other than Dan Goeb. But if you vote for someone that cant win, the libertarian candidate, then Goeb is going to win because of the split votes between Collier and the Libertarian, McKennon.

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          If schools have grown exponentially, then it's obvious that the tax base has as well.

I guess I don't understand the correlation between property tax, most of which goes the the ISD's, and the school districts needing money from the state. Educate me teachers.
                          Your answer is below.

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                          education funding has been cut, therefore putting the burden on the local districts. This in return is causing property taxes to go up
                          Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 10-24-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

The exponential growth of students does not necessarily translate to more property tax revenue. Just because you have more mouths to feed does not make your property more valuable. The influx of "foreign exchange students" with special needs means more programs, and that means that the dollars are cut that much thinner to meet state mandates by our political heroes in Austin. We have a proposal that Patrick supports, school vouchers. In some cases it will be very beneficial to families needing to be able to go to a private school to escape an ISD that is failing the clientele. It will not help many rural districts because the choices are limited. It will not help student who have handicaps because most private schools do not want to take on the burden they become. It will also take public dollars and put them into private teachers salaries, and if the state was willing to make up the shortfall in my TRS account, then that would be a start. I think there are too many programs, too many mid management people who have no functional part of the education process that make too much money for what little they do. It is a mess, and Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick support it. The need for cutting regulations and mandates in Texas education is vast. They mean well, but they want us to shoulder the greatest burden and not do their part. The Texas Supreme Court agrees with me on that. That is all I have to say.
                            Amen!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

As I said before. If you want to rid the Republican party of bad actors the time to do that is in the primaries. Very few people vote in the primaries compared to the general election.

Voting for another party just because you don’t like that person still most likely gets someone that is actually much worse.

There are more than a few that need to be replaced in the next primaries.
                              Last edited by TXHunter12; 10-24-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post

Depends on the district. "Robin Hood" takes property tax from what Austin considers "wealthy" districts (aka Chapter 41 districts) and sends it to Austin for "redistribution".

Comment

Working...
                                X