Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
    Haha oh it’s like New Years or the 4th of July! Luckily all they feed is corn and only during the season so that definitely helps with keeping the better deer from ending up in their sights.

It’s do able just takes time and patience, I bet you get there. honestly I feel that a lot of Texas it’s not an unrealistic expectation with decent circumstances. My Goal is to one day be in the stand and have a 170 come wandering through. Something about low fence and that 170 number is what I think keeps us from giving up and not high fencing or just saying forget it and not supplement feed.
    170 inch LF deer is a dream, I've been blessed to take several in the 60s but have never killed a 70s LF deer. I did take a HF native 70s deer a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Low fence hill country. Lampasas County. Get lots of deer to 6-8 years old, just not always the correct ones. Mostly 8 points. But every now and then I get that special deer. When it comes together it is a special thing. I did kill a mid 70s deer last year on my LF lease near Menard but nothing that big on my family place in Lampasas. 163 is biggest I have taken in Lampasas. Have killed 4 bucks in the 150s over last 12 years as well. Usually about every 3 years we will get one to sneak into the 50s.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
        Low fence hill country. Lampasas County. Get lots of deer to 6-8 years old, just not always the correct ones. Mostly 8 points. But every now and then I get that special deer. When it comes together it is a special thing. I did kill a mid 70s deer last year on my LF lease near Menard but nothing that big on my family place in Lampasas. 163 is biggest I have taken in Lampasas. Have killed 4 bucks in the 150s over last 12 years as well. Usually about every 3 years we will get one to sneak into the 50s.
        That's what I'm talking about!! Any pics of these deer?

Comment

We have no control of our herd. We border the Waggoner 530,000 acres on 70 % and the another 20,000 acre place is the other 30%. Neither hunt much. The Wag just started last year and it was 35 miles from us.We have about 2400 acres total.
          The deer are rarely pressured and get to 7-8 yrs old and older. We have wheat and oats that draw deer when the weather turns really cold. The deer are very transient
          We try and shoot mature deer with a good deal of success. We see 140-50 class deer regularly.
          I don't know where the closest high fenced place is to us. From our back fence its 40 miles across the Wag to the next ranch.
          Last edited by Abcdj; 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
            We have no control of our herd. We border the Waggoner 530,000 acres on 70 % and the another 20,000 acre place is the other 30%. Neither hunt much. The Wag just started last year and it was 35 miles from us.We have about 2400 acres total.
            The deer are rarely pressured and get to 7-8 yrs old and older. We have wheat and oats that draw deer when the weather turns really cold. The deer are very transient
            We try and shoot mature deer with a good deal of success. We see 140-50 class deer regularly.
            That's absolutely 100 percent without a doubt..... UNFAIR!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              That's absolutely 100 percent without a doubt..... UNFAIR!

pm me your cell, ill text pics of some

Comment

pm me your cell, ill text pics of some
                Incoming...

Comment

Incoming...

Im still scared to go South of the border

Comment

Im still scared to go South of the border
                    No need with the place you guys have, that's a dream setup! Just the fact your deer have such little pressure and can reach a ripe old age is incredible!

Comment

I had a 600 acre place up in New Waverly for 26 years. We finally got control about 10 yrs ago and managed it pretty hard. We killed 2 160’s. One would have been in 170’s but he broke off a 10” dagger. We grew a deer that went 184” that I hunted religiously but was killed by a neighbor. Sadly this place sold this year to be developed. We are killing 150’s at our house 3 miles down the road but nothing to touch 160-170 yet. Not bad for some Montgomery county deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

The deer on the left is a deer we are still looking for. We call him Torch. He was a 3 yr old in the picture. I’m guessing he will be 6 this year. We know he made it through at 4 and 5 but no pictures of him as we only have 80 acres on that side of the road. I killed the deer on the right 2 yrs ago at my house. He scored in the 150’s, 143” as main frame 7 point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

The deer on the left is a deer we are still looking for. We call him Torch. He was a 3 yr old in the picture. I’m guessing he will be 6 this year. We know he made it through at 4 and 5 but no pictures of him as we only have 80 acres on that side of the road. I killed the deer on the right 2 yrs ago at my house. He scored in the 150’s, 143” as main frame 7 point.

Incredible deer! Obviously you were putting the age on them and that's half the battle! Did you guys feed as well?

Comment

Incredible deer! Obviously you were putting the age on them and that's half the battle! Did you guys feed as well?

We did some the last 5 years at our lease, but there is mostly just genetics and age. All those deer were 5 or older. I passed the 184 as a 4 yr old and one of the 160’s as well at 4.

At the house we feed corn and soybeans 365 days a year and spring/fall plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                              We did some the last 5 years at our lease, but there is mostly just genetics and age. All those deer were 5 or older. I passed the 184 as a 4 yr old and one of the 160’s as well at 4.

At the house we feed corn and soybeans 365 days a year and spring/fall plots.

Just goes to show what age can do, even without feed or little feed if you'll just take a chance and let 'em roll.
                              I'm very impressed you were able to grow that size of deer on 600 acres in probably one of the most poached area's in Texas. Hats off to you! I guess guys like Garguy and you both have proven it can be done.

Comment

Amazing hill country deer to say the least! Wow! I'm wondering why the decline this year though? Drought? Sounds like for several years you guys were killing very top end hill country bucks!
                                The bottom deer was our best deer to date. I had my target buck at 10 yards last night but he didn't come exactly where he needed to. The one I'm after is about a 145 10 point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X