No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever meet any y'all out here I'll show ya some of my secret spots. Cant post on here, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
      If I ever meet any y'all out here I'll show ya some of my secret spots. Cant post on here, sorry
      Wow that was quick!
      Oh yes! If I come down I'll definately be giving you a shout and see if you want to hunt.

Comment

Guys I posted a quick lil video clip I took of out at TBR from scouting the past week. ALL footage was taken from one spot on the lakeshore in UNit 3. take the old boat ramp road to unit entrance North bound from the bridge that goes over the EQ Channel and go all the way to the lake shore and then head West (left) and follow the shore until you see a big halfmoon shaped shoreline. midway in the halfmoon you will see where 2 treelines open to a long brush flat that spreads out to the south. I was parked right there in the tall weeds/brush and could see deer stacking up in the tree brush transition zones just waiting for sunset to come around to go to water. It would be best hunted early in the week when there is MUCH less traffic. Forget about it on a weekend. even a couple nights I went out it was a bust with kids and their trucks running arounas you'll see in the video. But some deer still came late even those evenings.

Tip: get back towards the tree line early about 2 hrs. before dark and about 45mins before sundown you'll start seeing nice deer stacking up in these zones. There are alot of overgrown roads along these areas if ya get out and look from the constant water level changes over the years that make great set-up and shooting lanes

Comment

Saturday

Will be headed out to unit4 tomorrow AM with my boy. Probably load up the 4 wheeler too, just in case it needs to be rode.

Thanks for the info SAB.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
            Will be headed out to unit4 tomorrow AM with my boy. Probably load up the 4 wheeler too, just in case it needs to be rode.

Thanks for the info SAB.
            I highly recommend the west end of the unit behind 12 mile ranch. The other section behind the Boys Ranch is very heavily hunted during wknds. Don't be surprised if you hear a BUNCH of shooting during archery season out there from all the Dove hunters. They stay pretty close to the sunflower patches close to unit entrance usually tho. so the farther you get back in towards 12 mile the better. Deer heavily travel along the fenceline boarder back there in the treeline. Walk back in there and you'll see what I mean

Comment

Lookin good!!!

We spent a few hours scouting out at unit 4. First place I was interested in found a tripod stand and feeder. So, that place is out. But we found serveral other options. Some great big old trees way back in there looked nice. But there was a blind in there as well. Not sure how old it is but that is ok I found two other places. I am going to see if I get anything to come in. Looks like I will be leaving unit 1 and hunting unit 4 this year. Found a good place to dove hunt too. Man it was HOT out there!
              Last edited by TXHORNZ; 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

glad ya found something ya like but I'd recommend looking way back in 6 before ya settle for sure. 4 gets awful crowded during dove season and a lot of shooting going on.

Comment

Well, drove back into Unit 1 the Saturday before last. Just a quick trip since we were in Angelo for a few hours. Hafernick and I must have kept it trimmed up with loppers when we were there (actually I'm pretty sure I remember we did), cause I don't remember the mesquite limbs being so thick over the roads. Broke in my new truck with some scratches!!
                  Went all the way back to the river and saw the new high fence. Sure brought back a lot of good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    Well, drove back into Unit 1 the Saturday before last. Just a quick trip since we were in Angelo for a few hours. Hafernick and I must have kept it trimmed up with loppers when we were there (actually I'm pretty sure I remember we did), cause I don't remember the mesquite limbs being so thick over the roads. Broke in my new truck with some scratches!!
                    Went all the way back to the river and saw the new high fence. Sure brought back a lot of good memories.
                    Ya the high fence was a big concern but it really didnt effect the deer movement as much as I thought it would. Hint: find a spot not far from where that high fence starts and work one of the trails coming over the fence around there or the nearest water source

Comment

Good of you to share all of this information SAB. Not many folks would willingly give out as much detailed information as you have. Good luck out there!

br

Comment

Originally posted by buffalorider View Post
                        Good of you to share all of this information SAB. Not many folks would willingly give out as much detailed information as you have. Good luck out there!

br
                        Been playing around out there for 14yrs. I only hunt it now for a quick run close to town. I have several other places I hunt on private land as well, so I don't mind helping folks out. I've given several tours / guide folks out there visiting from TBH. Theres so many places to go that are away from the weekend crowds that I dont mind giving some tips in detail. I HIGHLY recommend hunting TBR Tuesday-Thursday tho when the crowds are down and deer have had a chance to relax after the weekend chaos

Comment

Sab

SAB, is the tipod I stumbled upon or maybe the shotgun blind in the BIG old trees yours?
                          Also, when did they spray some of brush out on the south side of IV?
                          Saturday we also crossed from IV to III around the Spring Creek ****. Then drove back through unit III to the EQ. There is a lot of thick mesquite back in there.
                          Got to add more scratches to my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
                            SAB, is the tipod I stumbled upon or maybe the shotgun blind in the BIG old trees yours?
                            Also, when did they spray some of brush out on the south side of IV?
                            Saturday we also crossed from IV to III around the Spring Creek ****. Then drove back through unit III to the EQ. There is a lot of thick mesquite back in there.
                            Got to add more scratches to my truck.
                            NOT my tripod. I dont have a set-up out there. I have a deer lease out in the county. Hint: when ya cross the "creek" back there go southwest towards the back gate of unit behind houses. The nresidents have automatic feeders in the backyards that deer travel to

Comment

How do the falls look just below the creek crossing y'all are using? That's a beautiful spot.
                              We used to be able to cross Spring Creek way (maybe 1/2 to 3/4) below the falls when the lake was super low. Then we had the big rains a few years ago and the lake backed up way into Spring Creek and could no longer cross. Just below that crossing was a ledge that ran the entire width of the creek that created a falls. But not as pretty as the falls 1/4 mile below the Spring Creek dam!

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                                How do the falls look just below the creek crossing y'all are using? That's a beautiful spot.
                                We used to be able to cross Spring Creek way (maybe 1/2 to 3/4) below the falls when the lake was super low. Then we had the big rains a few years ago and the lake backed up way into Spring Creek and could no longer cross. Just below that crossing was a ledge that ran the entire width of the creek that created a falls. But not as pretty as the falls 1/4 mile below the Spring Creek dam!
                                Haven't been back that far in unit 3/4 for awhile but I can tell ya it should be easy to cross right now as the EQ channel is DRY

Comment

Working...
                                X