Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
    Alright. I'll go ahead and be the first to admit it. Aransas NWR is the absolutely most miserable and nasty place I've experienced. Encountered mosquitos like you'd never understand, Alligators and cotton mouth snakes all within steps distance.

I was there about 15 years ago as a boy. The place is even more indescribable than I could recall. ITS ABSOULTELY A MISERABLE JUNGLE. What a challenge!
    Myself and a couple of my partners drove the refuge Friday afternoon, the auto tour loop, which was no where that I initially intended to hunt. We all 4 scouted Saturday, arrived at 6:30 am, the refuge did not open scouting until 7:30. I was 5th in line. Thumper, you were right behind me, I heard the officer call you by name and put 2 and 2 together.

We drove ALL the way to the very back south end, until you couldn't go any further. Satellite scouting doesn't do this place a lick of justice. It was all WAY different than expected. I knew before applying, ARANSAS was a miserable place. I did not expect this. 30'' of rain in the last 2 weeks, EVERYTHING IS UNDERWATER! If you don't have a 4WD, stay on the main road. If you don't have hip waders, your boots will get filled with water, you might as well where shoes and just accept getting soaked up to thigh deep. The mosquitos will wipe you out. We all carried OFF to continually apply, wore FROG TOGS to keep skeeters off, and took a mosquito tent and cut it up to wear over our heads. STILL, mosquitos hoarded us ALL DAY. We each covered over 40 miles in 3 trucks touring the refuge Saturday morning, NO DRY LAND FOUND until 4pm. Let that "SOAK" in. The end of Saturday, resulted in setting 4 tripods in areas that we found without water, we were at our ends with the place, didn't really care anymore, fully exhausted, near heat stroke conditions. F**K that place.

I made myself go back Sunday. I got on foot and covered MILES! If I wasn't in water, I was taking steps over vines, position ivy, and weeds that were up to my chest. I want you to imagine lifting your feet waist high just to get ONE step in, or else you couldn't walk. Now imagine, getting into a spot off the road, in the dark, quietly. You still don't have an idea.

Over 2.5 days, I encountered 3 bucks and 1 hog while driving. Nothing on foot. I estimate that I put in nearly 60+ miles of driving.

We are still coming for the archery hunt, BUT I'm on the fence about paying for the gun hunt, it is a difficult hunt, and I'm for these hunts, but to allow myself more time at ANWR, it isn't really worth it for what else I could be doing. Im going to let luck determine it all, tomorrow right before the deadline, I'm flipping a coin as to whether I pay for the gun hunt, HEADS= PAY / Tails= NOT.

Also, if you aren't in shape in the slightest bit. Go ahead and save yourself some money, time and frustration. Its not going to be a cake walk.
    Just like home brother . I thought it was going to be easy in Texas . Lmbo .

Comment

I’m Not picky y’all I love deer! I cant eat antlers . I love hogs to . If it’s legal I’m taking it home . Just saying .

Comment

This video had me laughing until I was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.

https://www.facebook.com/bustedrack/...int=action_bar

Comment

Originally posted by gbludau View Post
          this video had me laughing until i was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.

😂😅🤣😄

Comment

Y’all!!!!
            I had a dream last night I killed the biggest buck ever killed on the Aransas! He was a main frame 11 point with trash and a small drop. Scored 168 7/8”!!!! Dream was soooo real! I think that might be the realest hunting dream I have ever had. Most of my hunting dreams the deer start talking or I forgot my bow or something stupid.
            Good lord, please let me kill a buck half that big and I will be happy!

Comment

Yes sir it’s greatwe

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
              Lets hope it dries out some before Sat. Bought a pair of cheap camo high-top tennis shoes this afternoon and 6 cans of 40% deet Repel. I'm going wading where mosquitoes are known to roam. Some call it bowhunting aransas, others call it hell, I call it both.

Saw a couple of young bucks messing around yearling doe, didn't see any hogs. Tracks were all washed out from the heavy rains and surprisingly acorns, every where. If there were ever a year to discourage new hunters, its this year.
              I probably never had it so good sir. No airboats or buggies no dogs no chasing down deer ! Real hunting ! Hearing deer comming in the water watching the ripples . No cypresses thumper?

Comment

Your sick with the bug

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
                Y’all!!!!
                I had a dream last night I killed the biggest buck ever killed on the Aransas! He was a main frame 11 point with trash and a small drop. Scored 168 7/8”!!!! Dream was soooo real! I think that might be the realest hunting dream I have ever had. Most of my hunting dreams the deer start talking or I forgot my bow or something stupid.
                Good lord, please let me kill a buck half that big and I will be happy!
                The hunting bug ! I’m still that way at 47 years young .

Comment

This video had me laughing until I was crying. So funny! All for humor! Don't get butt hurt if you carry a cross gun.

thats good stuff right there!

Comment

It is pretty funny,,,

Comment

Video on crossbows

The funniest ever lmbo . I have fought it also . I still keep my bow at 70# and I hope to never need one .

Comment

Thank the good lord the opening weekend wasent during the full moon .

Comment

Completely unmotivated about this hunt. Which is not typical me at all.

I let the gun hunt go to 2nd draw
                          Lol there's my thoughts summed up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just Incase anyone was worried about the refuge drying up and making it a little easier for us, don’t worry. It’s been raining all night long on the good ol fuge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got a chance to hunt this guy opening day in Oklahoma so I won't be out at Aransas until Wednesday. Just wanted to wish everyone luck for the weekend!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Standby Permits Still Available

Hey y'all, we still have 31 standby permits available at Aransas for the archery hunt. If you have a buddy who wasn't drawn, tell her/him to show up tomorrow at 8:30 am. If more than 31 people show up, we will draw for permits at 9. Final scout day is tomorrow. Bring bug spray, snake boots, mosquito netting, bug suits - actually, Kevlar is probably your best bet. We've gotten more rain in the last couple days. Good luck with the hunt!

Comment

Working...
                                X