Lawn care what do you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
    $30 per cut, twice per month for typical suburban residential lot. Just the standard cut, weed eat, edging and blow. They don't mess with the flower beds, etc. Even when the grass isn't growing much, it's worth its weight in the fall when the leaves start falling and again in the spring with the oak tree pollen. They do an Ok job, but at the price it's fair.

At least in my part of Houston, lawn crews are a dime a dozen, so pricing is pretty competitive. There's probably 10 different crews that work my neighborhood and the one next to us.

This is the hardest part in my part of Houston. There are crews everywhere you turn and some of these guys are charging 1992 prices. Been a solo operator for a little over two years now on my off days from the fire department. My minimum charge for suburban lots cut, edge and blow is 35$ per service, prices go up from there. When I had 54” zero turn i quoted 100$ for an acre.

Comment

I do this on the side and am still building. Up to 6 properties now and looking to add a couple more. I charge $80/hr. Anything over an acre and I knock it down to $60/hr after the first acre. When I quote a job, I just estimate the amount of time it will take. Generally I can mow/trim/blow an acre per hour. It’s usually pretty close. I also have a $50 minimum. Even on a standard 8-10K sqft lot.

You have to remember you are doing this on the side so it has to be worth your while. You aren’t out cutting 20 lawns a day. Just from fuel alone, I wouldn’t entertain anything less than $50. Don’t be afraid to turn something down.

As a side business you are also able to offer a more personable, flexible experience for the customer. Most full time lawn companies are too busy to offer that for the most part. That in itself can be worth a little more and the customer may not realize it until they need or want something last minute.

Then you have wear and tear and equipment costs. I buy $200 worth of blades, 2 extra deck belts at $125/ea at the beginning of each season. Trimmer line isn’t cheap either, oil mixes. Plus having the mowers hydros and everything else serviced. One thing I have learned in my full time job is you never let a customer down because of equipment. My first month of cutting doesn’t even really go into my pocket. It pays for everything to keep me up and running for the summer.

I personally prefer larger estate sized lots as a side hustle. You get more bang for your buck. If I was full time, maybe wiping out an entire residential neighborhood would be the better route but on the side sometimes a few big ones are better than multiple small ones.
      Last edited by Sleepy; 03-17-2023, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Last year I subbed out to a company that had a right of way mowing contract with the county. He cut the esplanades and the sides of the road including ditches. That was a lot of work and I would help him out on my off days with my tractor and 6 ft bush hog on the esplanades that were too high for the zero turns to handle. I enjoyed it, but you have to have an army of employees and equipment to handle those contracts.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are knocking out yards in my neighborhood for $30. 3 man team will finish a house in almost 10 minutes. They have got it down to a science. I'm probably the only one left on my street who still is actually mowing his own yard. (I actually enjoy it though).

Comment

Most folks don't factor in upkeep. A trailer tire will set you back $100. I retired from it a couple of years ago but even then my minimum was $80

Comment

Originally posted by JakeM View Post
              I pay 30 a week for a suburban corner lot in Deer Park.
              Kinda near DPJH?

Comment

Neighbor's pay 75.00 for 1 acre.

Comment

I retired from this several years ago and at the time I charged $55per lawn for edging, mowing, and blowing. All I did were residential yards. I still mow a neighbors’ up the street and still charge $55. I can’t justify more than that for a 45-minute job. Only reason I continue is having to pay $12+ a bag for corn.

Comment

I’m in Temple. Guy in my neighborhood does yards on the side, had him mowing mine while I was out of town/deployed. Small yard, just shy of 4000sqft for the front and back. Mowing, weedeat/edge and blow it all off. $35. Had him mowing once a week during the peak growing season.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Knocked out 13 yards today just today... Anyone around dfw fortworth area have some pricing?

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                        I have been doing lawn care for a few years now on the side but this season it seems very hard to get jobs with normal pricing, everyone is seeming to want a huge discount. I typically charge around $100 for a acre lot and people this season are wanting to pay $50 $60.... Just curious to those of you who pay for lawn care are paying these days.

$57.50 for .87 acres. Was $55 then when gas got really high they increased to $57.50 and I just pay $60 per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X