T4 Exotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T4 Exotics

Recently, when Dean ran the TBH special for exotic does, I felt a Spring Break trip was in order for my wife and I. So after making the arrangements to hunt a couple days, March 13 finally arrived. It was also the day after my 71st birthday, so with what was left of the cake we left for Brownwood.

Arriving Tuesday at noon we were met by Dean and his lovely wife Sheila, as well as their pair of JRTs, Abby and Lucy. We then took a Ranger tour to look things over before I settled into a bow blind to sit until dark. Not long after, a chocolate Fallow buck missing most of one antler came and buried his nose in the alfalfa trough. For an hour or so, the buck and a B&C fox squirrel were my only entertainment. A pig, (a very nervous pig), finally joined the scene, and shortly after a flock of about twenty turkeys, including a very nice gobbler who strutted for the ladies. I decided to take the pig, and drew my bow. He then turned his butt to me, and I had to hold too long I guess, because by the time he turned broadside again, I was not steady. I skipped the arrow off his back and it hit the rocks. Fallow, pig, and turkeys all scattered, but the fox squirrel was not impressed. He just kept eating corn. Five or six more pigs came in but wouldn't come out of the brush. My arrow was laying between them and me, and it's my belief they could smell human on that arrow and just wouldn't commit.
    Attached Files

Was that it

Comment

Due to the fact that I've had shoulder problems for the last couple years, and haven't been shooting enough, and my poor performance on the pig, I asked Dean to put me in a rifle blind on Wednesday morning. He obliged and I watched the sun come up overlooking a feeder about 70 yards out. Just before the feeder spun, two pigs arrived. I believe these boys know the routine ! After the breakfast corn hit the ground, I had three chocolate Fallow bucks, two white ones, the two oinks, and several turkey hens cleaning up the corn. No Axis does ! I did see some in the distance through the brush, but they didn't come my way.

I apologize for the crappy phone pics. Po' folks have po' ways !
      Attached Files

Comment

After lunch, and possibly a nap , Dean carried me to a different blind for the afternoon hunt. I climbed into the tower blind and Dean spread some corn out into the open area in front. I prepared to wait until the animals started to drift back in. It didn't take long ! I must have had over fifty animals in view in the opening and in and out of the brush. Fallow, Blackbuck, Axis, even a whitetail or two, plus the four rams that were there when I climbed into the blind.

A screen grab from cell phone video. Now this is what I came for !
        Attached Files

Comment

So now all that remains is to separate the biggest Axis doe that I can find from all the bucks, and other does. I watched for ten minutes or so with my Nikons, but they were constantly moving, pushing each other, etc. I decided that I'd better just get my 6.8 out the window and watch them through the scope, as any opportunity for a clear shot might only last a few seconds. One that looked to be large enough stepped out ten or fifteen feet from the others, and I squeezed the trigger.

I can't say enough about the hospitality, the cabin, and the number of animals. Dean has a charcoal grill that will hold more meat than I can afford and a gas grill that cooked our rib eyes to perfection in minutes. Check out his website for more info.

The good looking middle-aged gentleman is Dean, the old fat guy is me.
          Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff!!! Congrats on a great weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice story and animal

Comment

Just got back from my hunt at T4! It’s everything you said an I hunted some of the same stands you did! We took 2 axis doe and a Axis buck.

Comment

Originally posted by grtwht View Post
                      Just got back from my hunt at T4! It’s everything you said an I hunted some of the same stands you did! We took 2 axis doe and a Axis buck.
                      Congrats on some fine eating ! Dean has a nice place, we're headed back in about a month......

Comment

Working...
                      X