Prickly Pear Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prickly Pear Jelly

My wife and I were at the property this week and found the prickly pear cactus fruit was blooming. Instead of letting those go to waste we decided to make a jelly out of the fruit. Special Thanks to Coachs Wife on here and to www.mywildkitchen.com for this awesome recipe! Followed it to a T and it was delicious! Pictures to follow!
    Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM.

12 pack can of beer worth of prickly pear fruit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 08-11-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Good stuff, friend of my from work makes it and gives me some every year.

Comment

This was by far the most important, but meticulous part of the entire process. After picking fruit we had to burn off the small hairs of each fruit. We took our time to make sure all hair was burned off. We used our gas stove, but next time will purchase a propane torch!!
        Attached Files

Comment

After removing all hairs from fruit, we peeled skin from fruit and added all contents into bowl for boiling. We boiled fruit, seeds and juice for 10 minutes to release the enzymes from fruit to allow SureJell mix to form properly.
          WORD OF CAUTION...PEEL FRUIT OUTSIDE AND WEAR CLOTHES YOU DON'T CARE FOR AS FRUIT JUICE STAINS EASILY. DOING THIS WILL AVOID THE EVIL DEATH STARE FROM WIFE!!
          Attached Files

Comment

After allowing boiled mash to cool, we separated fruit and seeds from juice by using fine mesh kitchen ladle. Next I added 1 tablespoon Fruit Fresh as a preserver and 1 packet of SureJell to allow juice to form a jelly. We stirred this until dissolved and added 2 cups sugar. (Coaches wife suggested more, but I had significantly less fruit, so we adjusted as necessary). We brought mixture back to a slow boil and continuously stirred until sugar was dissolved.
            Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

Man I want to try this, but we don't have any prickly pear around us.

Comment

After boiling canning jars for sanitary, we added mixture of fruit, sugar and SureJell into jars. We filled them 7/8 full and secured hand tight.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do this. I have stopped trying to burn off the spines and just use a steam juicer and throw the tunas right in and then once they are good and steamed just smash them with a potato masher.. We filter the juice through a coffee filter to get any things other than juice out It saves lots of time and aggravation of getting all those buggers out of your fingers. I also add cinnamon red hot candies when the juice is still warm from being steamed. I just usually add in a good sized handful and then stir to dissolve. It really highlights the prickly pear natural flavor.
                    If you really want to wow your friends. Google the cochineal bug. You probably have them on your cactus. Interesting history there.

Comment

We added the jars back into boiling water and let boil for 15 minutes. Carefully removed jars from pot and will let set for 24 hours before trying. This is my first time attempting this recipe and will let yall know how it turns out tomorrow and will adjust as necessary.
                      Quick Note: 12 pack can of beer full of prickly pear fruit only yielded Nine 4oz. cans worth of jelly. Lots of loss due to amount of seeds!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you ever make extras ill by a batch from you just let me know your price

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus rancher View Post
                          I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do this. I have stopped trying to burn off the spines and just use a steam juicer and throw the tunas right in and then once they are good and steamed just smash them with a potato masher.. We filter the juice through a coffee filter to get any things other than juice out It saves lots of time and aggravation of getting all those buggers out of your fingers. I also add cinnamon red hot candies when the juice is still warm from being steamed. I just usually add in a good sized handful and then stir to dissolve. It really highlights the prickly pear natural flavor.
                          If you really want to wow your friends. Google the cochineal bug. You probably have them on your cactus. Interesting history there.
                          Really good info for next time!! Thanks for the input and will DEFINETLY do this next time. My hands will thank me!

Comment

Breakfast this morning! Farm Fresh Eggs, Toast with the Prickly Pear Jelly and Peach Preserves. Prickly Pear Jelly turned out great and only thing I'll do differently is harvest more fruit for next time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

My mom recently showed me this gem. I used it on wild grapes for grape jelly. It is unreal how much of a difference this makes.

Jelly Mesh Strainer

Comment

Working...
                              X