X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
    Shoot straighter!
    Or use a compound

Killed plenty with a compound. I enjoy my compound but I want to transition to a recurve as my primary archery tool

Comment

Everything started clicking when I switched to 3 under. I’m cross eye dominant and it allowed me to get the arrow higher for a better sight picture.

My confidence in my form was creased and then I started bare shaft tuning.

Despite all of that, the wheels still fall off the wagon from time to time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forget the instinctive stuff if it hasn't happened by now. Think through the shot and make every action deliberate. There are about six things that have to be right to get off a good shot. Ignore any one of them and it won't be pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
          Forget the instinctive stuff if it hasn't happened by now. Think through the shot and make every action deliberate. There are about six things that have to be right to get off a good shot. Ignore any one of them and it won't be pretty.
          Well I wouldn’t exactly say it hasn’t happened by now. Maybe I’m comparing it to my compound where I think all 3 shots should be touching.

I’m not quite ready to give up on instinctive shooting yet, gonna go back to shooting at around 12- 15 yards and really concentrate on each individual shot.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
            I’ve been doing it 30+ years and still have that problem, stay with it, shoot a light weight bow to get your form down ,shoot reasonable distance finish on a good one and most important have fun
            Word.

F the instinctive Mr85.
            (Hands down…)
            The top shooters dont do it. Sure…itll kill but…keep struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              Word.

F the instinctive Mr85.
              (Hands down…)
              The top shooters dont do it. Sure…itll kill but…keep struggling.
              Well….lots of great shooters shoot split finger instinctive.

Barry Wensel killed numerous Boone and Crockett bucks split finger instinctive.

It’s hard to throw that style of shooting in the trash completely.

Not saying I won’t have to switch to 3 under but I don’t think I’m mentally there yet

Comment

You are correct.
                And I played ball until I was 49 years old. On several teams that won trophies and leagues. But I never was a college level player much less a pro.
                Not everyone is as capable as others.
                Like I said, I've killed quite a few animals with the split instinctive style. Just decided I wanted more out of my accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                  Well….lots of great shooters shoot split finger instinctive.

Barry Wensel killed numerous Boone and Crockett bucks split finger instinctive.

It’s hard to throw that style of shooting in the trash completely.

Not saying I won’t have to switch to 3 under but I don’t think I’m mentally there yet
                  Split finger doesn't really give you any advantages over 3 under if you want to shoot instinctively. 3 under is actually more helpful with instinctive shooting because the arrow is closer to your eye, thereby reducing the arc at hunting distances. You don't need to use it to aim with, but the arrow being higher will make the instinctive shooting easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    You are correct.
                    And I played ball until I was 49 years old. On several teams that won trophies and leagues. But I never was a college level player much less a pro.

Totally off topic but I went up to Cooperstown NY a few years back. There was a league of guys from their 40's-60's playing in the Double Day field, which is purported to be the first and oldest baseball field.

I thought that was pretty cool to watch those guys play...they were having a blast.

Comment

I have a Satori that shoots crazy good using a fixed 7/8" crawl at 25yds dead on. 20yd I aim low 3" and 15yd 8" low, 10 back to 4" low I group almost as good as my compound.

But my selfbows and my custom R/D longbows are even tillered and just will not group as good using a fixed crawl as the satori, I believe its due to they are lighter and even tillered, where I have my satori set with a negative tiller and have riser bottom weighted. They do well enough to kill a deer or hog but they are very touchy to my grip and release. I actually shoot the longbows a little better target practicing instinctive. But what I have learned is under hunting conditions (tree stand angles and being nervous) my instinctive shooting doesn't hold up as good as my fixed crawl shooting. Having a focus point of my arrow tip and a exact under aiming point just seems to help my focus in hunting conditions. Where when I leave my target practice environment my instinctive shooting suffers.
                      Last edited by coop2564; 08-08-2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I got into Trad bows in the early 1990’s and was active for close to twenty years…haven’t shot much since moving to the Houston area in 2013.

I was around some of the best shooters all over the Gulf South in that era and have met very few consistently good pure instinctive shooters. Almost all of the good & great ones admitted to referencing the arrow to some degree and I didn’t believe the ones that said the didn’t

The things that took my shooting to the next level were:

1) get over thinking it was some kind if trad “sin” to see the arrow
                        2) shoot lower weight bows
                        3) big white or yellow feathers that I could see in flight

I never was a straight-up gap shooter but I definitely referenced the arrow-tip in relation to the target.

Going to three-under kind of kick-started me into shooting better but after few years I could shoot both split and 3 under equally well.
                        Last edited by mikebyrge; 08-08-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I’ve strictly hunted with a recurve for over 10 seasons now. If I’m being honest it probably took me 3 years of shooting darn near everyday to get good with it. Instead of telling you what you should do (cause I don’t have a clue) we all learn different and there is not 1 style that magically makes folks shoot lights out. I will only say find a style that comes natural, comfortable, and 100% repeatable. If you do that then you can get very accurate. Also there's a big difference between quality practice and just going out back flinging arrows.

Let me tell you instead what you don’t want to do! You don’t want to start changing things every time you have a bad day. If having a bad day either get super close to target or simply call it a wrap.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Boogieman View Post
                            I’ve strictly hunted with a recurve for over 10 seasons now. If I’m being honest it probably took me 3 years of shooting darn near everyday to get good with it. Instead of telling you what you should do (cause I don’t have a clue) we all learn different and there is not 1 style that magically makes folks shoot lights out. I will only say find a style that comes natural, comfortable, and 100% repeatable. If you do that then you can get very accurate. Also there's a big difference between quality practice and just going out back flinging arrows.

Let me tell you instead what you don’t want to do! You don’t want to start changing things every time you have a bad day. If having a bad day either get super close to target or simply call it a wrap.

Good luck!

This is some sage information right here^^^^^^.

Maybe the best post on the whole thread?

Hey Boogieman, how come you never post any LDPs in the Trad Harvest thread? We love to have you participate!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Boogieman View Post

Good luck!
                              Thank you for this. Great information

Comment

TxTrophy85 in the end you need to shoot the way it fulfills you. If it doesn't then you'll lose the drive for it.
                                I was one who said I didn't want an "aiming system" but things changed for me.
                                The coolest thing about this is making it yours.
                                Unto thine own self be true.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X