Take The Time To Visit Your Loved Ones That Have Passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
    Yes sir, a guy told me one day "I just wish I could hear my mothers voice again". He also told me to record my folks, make copies and keep them in a different location just in case. He stated on his ruff days he would listen to voicemails of his mother to get him through the day. His phone crashed and he loss it all. I did the same with my brother but no copies, phone crashed and lost it. Thanks for posting Gumbo, just a heads up for others to make it a point to visit their loved ones!!
    Awesome stuff Redfeathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      Yes. I wish I could go back and record my mom and dad. I tell everyone to take lots of pictures. I save all my wife and sons voicemails as well. Take no day for granted.
      That is no lie. I kept my laar voice-mail from my grandfather as long as I possibly could. Had to end up getting a new phone and never had it again. Killed me at the time

Comment

My folks sit in a jar in my sister's closet. It's a long story. Great job on the clean up Terry

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread Terry. Thanks for the reminder. You describing your dad sure reminded me of mine. I lost my dad to cancer January 2021. Right in the middle of covid madness. I was able to see him in the hospital the night he passed. I didn’t attend the very small graveside service for him again because of covid. My grandmother was 90 at the time (still alive). She was scared of covid because all she does is watch the news on tv. I wanted her to be there and grieve the loss of her son. I went later after she had left. Someone took this pic of me kneeling where my dads ashes had been buried.

It’s never easy to say goodbye to someone that was so influential in the man you became.

I think I will pay him a visit this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gumbo Man, that is a great tribute and reminder, thanks for sharing. And know that your pops has been smiling down from above, watching you fail and succeed along your journey, with a smile on his face. Take care brother!

Comment

I’m a sorry SOB. I don’t get wound up about dead family members. I loved them but they are dead and gone, just like I will be dead and gone one day. Putting flowers on my/their grave won’t bring them back. That’s just $30 that will die and get swept up by the caretaker of the cemetery.

The religious folks may have different opinions and that’s cool also.

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I do not like going to graveyards. I miss my father, mother, grand parents, uncles & aunts and great uncles and great aunts. To me they are not at that grave - they are with me. And I still talk with them. One of the things I love about hunting is sitting in the still dark of an hour before 1st light and just thinking and talking. When I kick the bucket, I'll be cremated and spread out somewhere. There is always the guilt of not visiting and I don't want to pass that on.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Great thread Terry. Thanks for the reminder. You describing your dad sure reminded me of mine. I lost my dad to cancer January 2021. Right in the middle of covid madness. I was able to see him in the hospital the night he passed. I didn’t attend the very small graveside service for him again because of covid. My grandmother was 90 at the time (still alive). She was scared of covid because all she does is watch the news on tv. I wanted her to be there and grieve the loss of her son. I went later after she had left. Someone took this pic of me kneeling where my dads ashes had been buried.

It’s never easy to say goodbye to someone that was so influential in the man you became.

I think I will pay him a visit this weekend.

That’s awesome AC.

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                    Gumbo Man, that is a great tribute and reminder, thanks for sharing. And know that your pops has been smiling down from above, watching you fail and succeed along your journey, with a smile on his face. Take care brother!
                    Thankyou for the kind words brother.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      I’m a sorry SOB. I don’t get wound up about dead family members. I loved them but they are dead and gone, just like I will be dead and gone one day. Putting flowers on my/their grave won’t bring them back. That’s just $30 that will die and get swept up by the caretaker of the cemetery.

The religious folks may have different opinions and that’s cool also.

I’m sorry that this is the only response that you could come up with. You really didn’t need to respond at all.

Comment

I probably should but I get depressed going to graveyards. I need to make it a point to see people that I love that are still living as much as I can. And I'm not the worlds best about that either. It's easy to get caught up in the things going on in your life. I don't ever want to regret not seeing people when they're here. That's a bad feeling walking up to a gravestone and talking to it instead of the person it's there for. I don't ever want to do that and feel like I'm looking at a strangers headstone. I need to be better about going to see people I care about because it's not going to be that way forever. I have a choice. One day I won't be able to see them or hear their voice and not by choice.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 08-10-2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                          I may be in the minority, but I do not like going to graveyards. I miss my father, mother, grand parents, uncles & aunts and great uncles and great aunts. To me they are not at that grave - they are with me. And I still talk with them. One of the things I love about hunting is sitting in the still dark of an hour before 1st light and just thinking and talking. When I kick the bucket, I'll be cremated and spread out somewhere. There is always the guilt of not visiting and I don't want to pass that on.
                          If you're religious then they are there to an extent, the way I read the book anyway.
                          When it says "the dead in Christ shall rise first" I'm not sure where else they would be rising from .

Comment

Talk to my grandpa every time I smoke anything. He taught me how to do it. Lefty, Jones, haggard provide the lyrics. Vince and Randy make appearances too. My parents and me will be cremated. We all prefer memories over memorials. Definitely not judging.

I do go and sit with grandpa a few times a year. I doubt it upsets him, but I know he prefers cooking g with me.
                            Last edited by 3whunt; 08-10-2022, 06:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

May be identifying myself as an oddball but I like going to old cemeteries and reading the tombstones. There is a really old one on a hilltop at a friends ranch in Bosque County with graves going back to the mid 1800”s. He keeps it mowed and trimmed and maintains the original wrought iron fence around it. About 40 graves. A few that say “killed by Indians “. Several with a woman and a newborn buried together - died in childbirth. All my mother’s people are buried at Hollywood cemetery in Richmond Virginia. In addition to my grandparents and generations going back to the 1840’s there are the graves of 4 presidents and lots of people you would know from your history books including Jefferson Davis. Lots of beautiful and ornate graves. How we remember our dead says a lot about who we are

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                May be identifying myself as an oddball but I like going to old cemeteries and reading the tombstones. There is a really old one on a hilltop at a friends ranch in Bosque County with graves going back to the mid 1800”s. He keeps it mowed and trimmed and maintains the original wrought iron fence around it. About 40 graves. A few that say “killed by Indians “. Several with a woman and a newborn buried together - died in childbirth. All my mother’s people are buried at Hollywood cemetery in Richmond Virginia. In addition to my grandparents and generations going back to the 1840’s there are the graves of 4 presidents and lots of people you would know from your history books including Jefferson Davis. Lots of beautiful and ornate graves. How we remember our dead says a lot about who we are
                                My wife and I do the same. We enjoy the history and family names that have been in one area for over 100 years. The old monuments are beautiful and you can usually tell who was wealthy for the period. And your last sentence speaks volumes Jerp.

Comment

Working...
                                X