Nosler BT effective range on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    I’m not sold on the NBT. I found complete bullet destruction testing 300blk 125gr NBT shot from a 10” gun on water jugs at 100yards. All I found was a small lead core that was max 10-15grs.

I was expecting them to rapidly expand but at least somewhat hold together. I tested 3-4 and had Sam results.

With that being said I have killed a few animals with 6.5mm NBTs.
    sounds like they held together well and exited leaving only a trace of bullet behind,,, that is a win, not a loss!

i have shot about 30-35 deer with ballistic tips from a 30-06 at 3050 fps,,, never found a bullet and had 100 percent exits out to 429 yards,,, and as close as 35 yards....

Comment

I love the BT’s but, everyone is correct about not good on exit holes. I just shot a buck with a 125 BT from my 30-06 at 60yds and found the bullet on the opposite shoulder just under the hide. It does do a lot of damage to the meat but, I soak it/clean it in water to get the blood shot out for minimal loss.
      I’m in the boat of not tracking animals anymore.

Comment

I lung shot a doe at about 75 yards broadside with a BT and found the green tip in a backstrap about 18" from the entry point.

It was a 30 caliber 180 grain BT with a muzzle velocity of 2700fos.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          I prefer nonbonded bullets on deer. The Nosler 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip has a thicker jacket. So it’s not unusual to have an exit on a heart/lung shot. I‘m not in to tracking deer. High shoulder or neck shots drop them on the spot. I don’t need an exit hole for tracking. But if you can’t shoot maybe a bonded bullet is what you need.

I agree with this 100%. Speed kills. I would rather shoot a lighter billet faster and more frangible than a bonded heavy bullet going slower.

I am a big fan of the hornady sst, Winchester ballistic silver tips and nosler ballistic tips for game animals. Unless I am worried about it killing me or penetration being an issues aka bear or moose those are my preferred pills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            I agree with this 100%. Speed kills. I would rather shoot a lighter billet faster and more frangible than a bonded heavy bullet going slower.

I am a big fan of the hornady sst, Winchester ballistic silver tips and nosler ballistic tips for game animals. Unless I am worried about it killing me or penetration being an issues aka bear or moose those are my preferred pills.

Speed does kill. I just prefer speed coupled with bonded.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              Speed does kill. I just prefer speed coupled with bonded.
              Bonded bullets serve a purpose. But not on animals like whitetails. Exiting bullets are wasted energy. But they will kill. Lung shoot them with a bonded bullet and get to tracking.

Comment

Bonded bullets serve a purpose. But not on animals like whitetails. Exiting bullets are wasted energy. But they will kill. Lung shoot them with a bonded bullet and get to tracking.
                Agreed. I personally haven’t found a more devastating bullet on whitetails when properly placed.

Comment

True. But a gut leaking out both sides is a better scent trail for the dog to follow. Or so I hear.
                  Dogs dont track guts n blood

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

What an entertaining thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      What an entertaining thread.
                      Yeah it kinda got a little off topic. Fortunately I was able to glean what I was after from it.

Comment

I shot this bull in October with a 150 gr BT out of a 7mm WBY Mag. He was 150-175 yards and never took a step
                        Attached Files

Comment

I like a bonded bullet with speed also. I may hit some lung, but it will be because they got in the way when the bullet was going through the top of the shoulders... Lol. I do agree though that a softer bullet produces better results out of behind the shoulder shots.

Comment

When all else fails and you can't decide just grab a box of the old Remington PSP Core-lokt and go hunt. Probably been more critters large and small killed with these than any other bullet in the last 100 years. Always my go to if I don't have any of my handloads.

Comment

I always find the different philosophies on bullet performance, interesting.

I’ve never seen a need to complicate it, personally. I shoot everything I can with core lokts, or some sort of similar soft point. Only one I’ve ever had to track was with a 240gr .44 cal.lol

Comment

I had a couple of bad experiences with BTs in the early 2000’s and swore them off since.

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit. Might have to retry them in a mild caliber like 308 Win with a 168 grain BT.

I actually have some Combined Technology Ballistic Tips I may try in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X