Nosler BT effective range on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosler BT effective range on deer

As the title suggests I’m wondering what the effective range is for Nosler BT’s on deer, specifically 140 grain 7mm-08.

I passed a super nice buck recently due in part to the distance (384 yards) and not knowing how effective they’d be at that range.

A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we haven’t had to track. I can’t see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you won’t have an exit. Some like all energy “dumped” in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)
    Last edited by RR 314; 11-24-2022, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      A ton of animals are killed with the BTs. Well, many tons. My son shoots a 7-08 and I set him up with accubonds. I prefer bonded bullets as I like an exit wound in case tracking is needed. Thankfully we haven’t had to track. I can’t see any reason to shoot non-bonded BTs over the accubond at game. In theory, at the distance discussed, with a relatively mild non-magnum, the BT may actually be more lethal (with one in the vitals) as it will have better expansion than a bonded bullet. Then again, no question you won’t have an exit. Some like all energy “dumped” in the animal. I prefer adequate damage and two holes. :-)
      Everything you stated is pretty much what I expected. Thank you.

On a related note, I would love to find some 7mm-08 Accubonds in 140 grain, but unfortunately Nosler seems more interested now in making rifles than ammo.

Comment

Yeah you’d be better off hand loading or finding a company that can do it for you like unknown munitions.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

At that range, any 7mm-08 should be very lethal. The Ballistic Tips are very deadly over a wide range of velocities. Then there is more to it, than just the actual speed of the bullet. Basically at that range with a 7mm-08, if you put the bullet in the right spot, you should have a dead deer very quickly. The BC numbers for a 140 gr. Ballistic Tip are not great, I would say a 140 gr. 7mm, would be a bit above average for BC for a 7mm, but they are still good enough to reach way beyond most people's maximum range. Meaning the farthest most people are capable of hitting the target, reliably. Truly depending on muzzle velocity, I would say, it would be lethal, to beyond a 1000 yards, likely not a fast kill, unless dead on heart shot or spine shot. 600 to 700 yards would be a good maximum, if you have a good load and a 22" to 24" barrel.
          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-24-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer with a BT , they will be less explosive @ 200-400 meters
            Like any thin jacket bullet designed for long range, my uncle loves them on deer .
            If the gun shoots them good I would stick to them, people get really hung up over this when over thought. Yes I like a nosler partitions better but that’s just me

Comment

384 would have been a chip shot for the Nosler BT's.

Comment

Split a Nosler BT bullet in half length ways and you will see that it has a tapered thickness jacket. Same with Accubonds. BT's will kill stuff out to as far as the gun will shoot accurately. Nosler was making BT bullets for at least 30 years before the Accubonds came out in 2003. Lots of old Federal ammo was loaded with Nosler BT bullets. BT bullets will mushroom only slightly more than the Accubond and may shed a little more weight but they will keel.

Comment

Excellent long range bullet.

Comment

If you have ANY doubt that your bullet will be effective at that range, don’t shoot them at all.

I’m not a fan of BTs and their explosive nature. However, the further the shot, the slower they are running, the less explosive they’ll be. I woulda shot.

I agree on running bonded core bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Everything you stated is pretty much what I expected. Thank you.

On a related note, I would love to find some 7mm-08 Accubonds in 140 grain, but unfortunately Nosler seems more interested now in making rifles than ammo.
                      I would love some Accubonds in 140gn for my 7mm-08. Been looking since I ordered my 7mm-08 from APR last February and no luck. Its hard to find Accubonds in almsot ant caliber right now.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        I woulda shot.
                        In fairness the main reason I didn’t shoot was because I’ve never had a need to shoot a deer that far, let alone actually done it. Even though I know the drop, which I got off of Nosler’s website, I didn’t want to chance it. I really thought he would follow a couple of does through a fence gap into the pasture I was hunting, which would put them inside of 300 yards and I’da been much more comfortable with.

But this whole thing has inspired me to set up some stuff after the season to practice shooting at that range, just in case

Comment

I prefer the 120 BT’s over the 140’s in the .284 choices for the 7mm-08.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post

I agree 100%

That said I have a 7-08 that’s handloads include 140 BT’s and I would not have passed up the shot you did

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                              I prefer the 120 BT’s over the 140’s in the .284 choices for the 7mm-08.
                              I agree 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X