Lake Amistad 22-23 Hunting Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Fellas, I would not worry about the bike thing specifically if it’s not posted. When I asked it was some years back. At the time, NPS had taped a paper near the entrance of area one stating bikes were not allowed. I had ridden my mountain bike in the hunt areas for a several years prior to that. No one had ever told me other wise including the park rangers I had encountered.

At the time I was riding my bike for the sake of riding and not using it to get around during hunting season. I forget exactly what they told me, but it had something to do with the trails being meant for hiking/bird watching. the park administrator was reviewing rules/policies and was contemplating changing the rules.
    I remember that, they were working on the bike trails in #1. I lol'd at the idea of closing the trails to bikes out there while they did construction or whatever.

Comment

Good luck !!!!

Looking forward to some harvests and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody make it out this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
          I’m not far from there. But the deer have not been on camera in 2 weeks. Lots of pigs though
          I've never seen a pig at Amistad... unless we're talking about javelinas?

Comment

Anyone hunting this week? I’m heading out tomorrow. Will probably be there around first light and scout my way into some new areas.

Comment

Hunted the last two days and saw lots of deer but no bucks. Spent a lot of time walking and finding areas to hunt for when the rut comes around. I think I’m finally figuring out this place a little and the next time I go out blood should be drawn. This place is fun to hunt and can’t wait to get back.

Comment

^^^ I have not been out recently but bucks seem to disappear around this time. They will be/come around. Hope you paint an arrow red on your next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                  Hunted the last two days and saw lots of deer but no bucks. Spent a lot of time walking and finding areas to hunt for when the rut comes around. I think I’m finally figuring out this place a little and the next time I go out blood should be drawn. This place is fun to hunt and can’t wait to get back.

Any exotics/sheep to be found? Good on you for getting out there and hammering… share pics when you drop one!

Comment

For all you handicapped, upper limb disability, old farts who want to hunt Amistad be aware rules have changed. Crossbows are allowed this year for everyone who wants to hunt Amistad. The website hasn't been updated but phone call will inform you of this change for 22-23 season. (830) 775-7491

Comment

PSA: Crossbows are unfair.

Me and two buddies came down for the first trip of the year and brought our funny looking sideways bows. We all killed deer tonight, went 3 for 3. Now to be fair these guys and I have hunted many years down here and are well versed in the ways and methods, but still we've never tripled before only doubled, and never on the first trip of the year. These poor deer are screwed.
                      Last edited by justletmein; 10-26-2022, 10:53 PM.

Comment

First trip wrapped up, crazy winds all week but of course today was beautiful for leaving to go home. Y'all look out for the duck hunters, they're hammering 2 so we moved areas, there were dove hunters in there also hiking around and blasting. I checked in a doe today on the way out and they said that's only the 12th deer from Amistad so far this year, so my group is responsible for 33% of them so far but there's not a lot of hunters hitting it yet. Buddies left Thursday and wife and son came for Fri/Sat hunts. My son had a broadside unaware doe at 7 yards in the cross hairs and couldn't find the safety on his crossbow (LOL) so he had to turn it sideways and look for it and we all know what happens then. Wife had a buck come straight at her and end up broadside but brush was covering the vitals, he goofed around for a while but got really lucky every time he stopped just happened to be in bad spots. It's starting to get chilly out there at night but I didn't see any scrapes or any type of prerut looking activity yet, which I wouldn't expect to just throwing it out for those who may be wondering.

Comment

First evening of our trip this week. I couldn't get a dog sitter so I'm just fishing with my dog til Thursday. I took my oldest son out though and he got his first bow (not crossbow) kill. Wife took a shot at a decent buck but deflected off a branch and sailed. Found the arrow about 8' up in a tree lol. I can't get that picture to load.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by justletmein; 11-21-2022, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Congrats to the successful hunter!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              First evening of our trip this week. I couldn't get a dog sitter so I'm just fishing with my dog til Thursday. I took my oldest son out though and he got his first bow (not crossbow) kill. Wife took a shot at a decent buck but deflected off a branch and sailed. Found the arrow about 8' up in a tree lol. I can't get that picture to load.

By the time I get back there will be no deer left to hunt with your crew that whacks and stacks lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                                By the time I get back there will be no deer left to hunt with your crew that whacks and stacks lol

Lol maybe so. Wife punched the trigger on a doe last night and shot clean under it. She's got that curse going on that everybody goes through where something goes wrong every time. I had a doe at 20 quartering hard to but there was a branch and I wanted her to take one more step forward, she took a lotta more steps rapidly instead then snorted for 5 minutes. We had Thanksgiving in camp so headed back out this evening lethargically, wife headed home here in a bit she's gotta work tomorrow.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X