Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to include in your dream shop build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30x40x14 with a 12' lean too. Two 12x12 doors in the front and a 10x10 in the back for a draft. Always a good breeze in there. Very comfortable. Love it!
    Attached Files

Comment

Walk in cooler for hanging meat when processing. My dad had one in his shop as well as a meat room for processing. We processed many a deer growing up. Lots of fun nights listening to guys BS while cutting up deer.

Comment

If you think you might want a car lift have the slab a bit thicker in that spot... mine was under 3 grand installed

Also a good idea like mentioned is the I beam up top... I have that also but I actually fabbed up a mobile hoist with scrap ibeam I had leftover from the shop build and I can push it back out of way and use it in spots that aren't dead center like needed if using the shop beam
        Attached Files

Comment

Lift
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow what a great thread full of good ideas/info!!
            I'm about to start my shop too... I have a barn that was on the farm when we bought it... Thought that was going to be my shop, but it is not raised as high as the house and yard so when Harvey came calling, it was flooded so no shop there...

Regarding construction, IF you plan to have this shop sealed and dry, do NOT use roll up doors. Use panel doors. There's no dependable and good way to seal up roll up doors. If you look at chrisgunguy's pics, he has panel doors that follow the roof line up top. THAT is the best way to put in a panel door.

I will have an electric winch and seeing the I-beam idea down the middle of the shop in this thread, that will definitely be an addition for me!! A buddy of mine has one of those "Big Arse Fan's" in his shop and those suckers move some air!! with doors open both ends, even an overhead door and a man-door, there's plenty of air movement! I too will have both hot and cold running water inside and out on the shop. Outside will be along a wall somewhere along the lean-to that will face the back yard...

Electrical outlets, LOTs of electrical outlets... No less than 4 50 amp 220 circuits for my stick burners too... Currently have one and it is in the WRONG place!

Also comments about bigger than you think are all true!! The barn I have is 30 X 60 X 12 high and it's cram full of stuff NOW!! When we bought the place, I thought I'd have room to spare!! Go as big as your budget and/or physical space will allow!!

I'm going to have a processing room that will be enclosed, insulated and air conditioned with a mini split. Will have provisions for meat processing, vegetable processing from the garden and refrigeration/freezer space. I currently have 4 freezers scattered throughout the house, garage and barn...

Comment

Lift and rv parking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 30x40, with a 12x40 covered porch. Spray foam on walls and ceiling was a great decision. Central AC/Heat. And electrical outlets @ 4' high, spaced every 5-6'.

And yes, go bigger. I don't care what you think, it needs to be bigger.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                    I have a 30x40, with a 12x40 covered porch. Spray foam on walls and ceiling was a great decision. Central AC/Heat. And electrical outlets @ 4' high, spaced every 5-6'.

And yes, go bigger. I don't care what you think, it needs to be bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post

Just finished the 30x40x14, pouring concrete this week. But seeing and reading all the above.. really thinking of adding floor drain. But would one in the center suffice?
                      I did plumbing for toilet and 2 sinks on for restroom and a shop sink. Now deciding on closed cell or open cell spray insulation not sure the big difference I know the open is cheaper but what looks better is my question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About a 60x 120 x 20 would be a good start for me with lean toos off one or both sides. Multiple drive through bays.

End bay would have RR tracks laid in the concrete to drive dozers and trachoes on. With plenty of welder plugs in that area and through to keep from having to break out the gas welder all the time.

Big *** style fan for sure.

Hot and cold water in mulitple areas is a great idea.

Over head Gantry crane would be awesome also.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post

Just finished the 30x40x14, pouring concrete this week. But seeing and reading all the above.. really thinking of adding floor drain. But would one in the center suffice?
                          I did plumbing for toilet and 2 sinks on for restroom and a shop sink. Now deciding on closed cell or open cell spray insulation not sure the big difference I know the open is cheaper but what looks better is my question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go closed cell but it has nothing to do with looks. Open cell can retain and hold moisture on the inside between the insulation and the sheeting. It will rust from the inside out.

Comment

great, that is what i was looking for, someone to tell the difference, the change difference will off set the future head ache, thanks RdRdrfan

Comment

Agree with basically all the above, and ESPECIALLY the hoist/beam setup. I have one in mine, and it’s a life saver when working on/fabbing on big stuff. Getting too old to be trying to flip stuff by hand. I seem to do more and more building of big bulky items that would be a pain to flip, move around, and whatnot, without it. Plus I can trolley it out to the outside edge of the big door, back my truck under it, and unload a deer for quartering too. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

It’s an open ended question. One size doesn’t fit all.

For me it’s an industrial dust collector with a bag house and huge cyclone located outside. Having and a fume and smoke extraction system would be next inline. Then it would be a paint booth.

Comment

Working...
                                X