• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in!

Comment

Putting this on my list!

Comment

Awesome! Way to persevere! Don't waste ammo, could probably save a catch dog from death at the pound and stab em? I'm be happy to mail you some slightly used surplus arrows too.

Comment

Oh WOW Tracey, I went back and read the other two threads!! How I missed these up to now is beyond me!... well except I never go to the DIY forum... THANK YOU for putting this one main stream!! These rival the Boaris threads!! ... Well except for maybe Ethan being the star over there with Boaris...

If you built a swing gate, you could trap all the time, even after it is sprung... We had a pen like this when I was a kid in the woods in East Texas and there's no tellin' how many hogs we caught out of it... My dad built a deer stand that overlooked it too... Killed some good bucks there too. These threads brought all sorts of good memories rushing back!
          Thanks for taking the time to post all of this! I'll be in and watching for Round 4!

Comment

The best part is, except for the cameras, there are no electronics involved. Just a huge self-trapper.

Comment

I read all 3 parts and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Comment

I think the key was as Kenner said on here- stay flexible, try everything, and adjust as we go. That's what the pigs are doing.

All of my neighbors said the 138 we trapped and shot last year made a big difference this year. I wish and hope the pigs know they are always welcome to check-in! But they'll never check out.

I have to add - the biologist finally checked it out and he was very impressed. My neighbor saw it today and said he was going to build one. He said he just couldn't afford that drop trap system and thinks this is just as effective at catching whole sounders.
                Last edited by Dusty Britches; 03-11-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Like it

Comment

Congratulations on a great idea, kill em all.

Comment

The problem with a swing gate, Charlie for me is first, the gate needs to be at least 8 feet wide. This was one of the best trap design ideas or component that I researched. Big hogs are intimidated by smaller gates and it takes a lot more coaxing to get them in. I went with 10 feet so I could drive my tractor with disc and shredder into the food plot.

The other problem I see with a swing gate is once they get this big, there's not a whole lot of hogs that can push it open. I've tried the "9" design and only the bigger hogs would go in.

The trap trigger is 75 feet into the trap and needs a 20+ pound pig to push the tire. That means with them eating the corn it gives time for the bigger pigs to make their way past the gate. The more pigs eating corn, the more attractive it becomes. And if they come and go, that's fine. They are just getting comfortable. They will eventually come and stay.

My next design upgrade will be to build a load out chute and an ATV access. My problem is finding the strong backs and weak minds to help.

Comment

Awesome! Loved last years thread!

Comment

Nice work. Love the simplicity.

I built a load out chute and it has made loading the pigs the easiest part.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            The problem with a swing gate, Charlie for me is first, the gate needs to be at least 8 feet wide. This was one of the best trap design ideas or component that I researched. Big hogs are intimidated by smaller gates and it takes a lot more coaxing to get them in. I went with 10 feet so I could drive my tractor with disc and shredder into the food plot.

The other problem I see with a swing gate is once they get this big, there's not a whole lot of hogs that can push it open. I've tried the "9" design and only the bigger hogs would go in.

The trap trigger is 75 feet into the trap and needs a 20+ pound pig to push the tire. That means with them eating the corn it gives time for the bigger pigs to make their way past the gate. The more pigs eating corn, the more attractive it becomes. And if they come and go, that's fine. They are just getting comfortable. They will eventually come and stay.

My next design upgrade will be to build a load out chute and an ATV access. My problem is finding the strong backs and weak minds to help.

That's good sound reasoning! I concur! However, if there's a particular area where the hogs show up on the back side or down another side of the fenced off area, it might still be a good idea to add a swing gate and just leave it free... more than one way to get in now...

Comment

Could it be? Maybe?

I think so... maybe.... Sometimes they go in but don't hit the tire, but looking at the time stamps, I think they checked in.

Dad gum fog this morning blocked my cameras!

Yup. Definitely checked in. But how many?? Auuggghhh! This is killing me!

I guess you all are going to be in suspense with me until I can get out there to kill them this afternoon.

Comment

So you caught 'em and they're in the pen somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X