Deer story that turned into a project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer story that turned into a project

I guess this story began in the fall of 2014. A buck jumped in one of my feed pens chasing a doe. The deer was nothing jaw dropping, but I had him aged at 4 1/2. The way his kicker flared off his left g2 made a diamond shape. I knew that there was going to be something special about this one. “Diamond” stuck and it was that characteristic that made him very easy to identify in trail camera pictures. Little did I know that the one sighting in 2014 would be the only time I would see him with my own eyes. Every other sighting was just on camera. Diamond really became on my radar in 2016..... (Guessing him to be 6 years old). No luck! Following year, I threw everything but the kitchen sink at him trying to get him..... nada. Year after year it would be the same story. He would be all over my setups in the off season and as soon as season kicked off, he would do what “Diamond” does..... vanish. Fast forward to 2019, Diamond shows up on camera. Mid September, he does his disappearing act. Something felt different though about this year. Knowing he was up there in age, we were wondering every year, if he would make another. Well about a month ago I was shed hunting and stumbled on a dead buck that looked like had been dead a while. Sadly it was Diamond and coincidentally he was about 300 yds from one of my bow stands. I was sick! But I was also at least happy to have some closure because not everyone gets that. To honor a buck of this sentimental value, I decided to take on the challenge of restoring him. Not an easy task considering the condition he was in, laying dead for 7 months and the antlers bleached white. I told Bryce “we got a project”. We worked over a week on this “project”.... and let me just say this, I will never ever ever complain about the price of taxidermy work!!!! This “project” made me look like “Tim the tool man Taylor” this past week[emoji23]

I don’t know which deer will be the next Diamond, but I will be looking for him. Bryce and I wouldn’t mind another “project”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Turned out great, Gents. You two make a good team [emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Very nice. Good story. Congrats to you and your son on a well done euro. You should be proud.

Comment

Turned out great!

Comment

Awesome job man !
                Nice way to honor an old friend.

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

Really nice work!

Comment

Great job and glad you found him. Even if it was not the way you wanted.

-john

Comment

That’s a cool story.

Still amazes how deer can live on a place, but yet never be seen. Just adds to the elusiveness of a mature buck and the reason we love chasing them.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That came out really great.

Comment

Great job. Pretty deer.

BP

Comment

Great story. It’s really cool to see an old buck with someone who has history and trial cam pics to see. Mount looks great also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X