No announcement yet.

2019 F150 3.5 ecoboost max tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will do fine, I pull a 30' TT that weighs about 8K. Yes, you do know it is there, but if you are not pulling every a lot, it will do fine. For me managing my cost vs what I really need is a bigger priority that driving the biggest truck out there. Others think differently. A half ton will do what you need, it more depends on what your priorities are.

Comment

Id agree with rest. I have a 2013 3.5 eco and have pulled 11-12k several times with no issues. If you were pulling like that daily then no doubt the 350 is what you need.

Comment

Agreeing with the 1/2 ton crowd. I have a '12 3.5L ecoboost. It will pull that no problem. If you were towing very frequently I would stick with a 1 ton, but for just a few times a year the ecoboosts have plenty of power. Plus when you take the trailer off, it is really fun surprising the heck out of cars that think trucks won't go

Comment

I personally wouldn’t go to a 1/2 ton transmission, brakes, suspension and curb weight. I would go 3/4 SWB though.

I’ll take safety over money to any degree I can afford.

Also everyone’s objective 9k varies, as does trailer configuration. You may not notice tongue weight of a shorter trailer on a 1 ton but on a 1/2 it may be borderline max

Comment

With a $400 a month savings you could rent a 3/4 ton 5 times a year.

13,200 gross wt? Pulling 9k what does the whole pkg weigh?

Comment

Wait for the new 7.3 gas for the F250 with ten speed transmission for 2020.
              It’s never the motor, but the brakes, suspension etc. I have a diesel F250, but I bought my son a 2018 f150. It’s like driving a station wagon at this point on the half tons. Gets up to speed fine, but it’s so light and squishy with a real load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For 5 tows and trip is 70 miles, why spend $4800 a year multiple by the years. Trust me, I tried to justify buying a diesel but ended up back in a Tundra and tow 15 plus times a year dragging my mule 600 miles a weekend.

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                I personally wouldn’t go to a 1/2 ton transmission, brakes, suspension and curb weight. I would go 3/4 SWB though.

I’ll take safety over money to any degree I can afford.

Also everyone’s objective 9k varies, as does trailer configuration. You may not notice tongue weight of a shorter trailer on a 1 ton but on a 1/2 it may be borderline max

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  For 5 tows and trip is 70 miles, why spend $4800 a year multiple by the years. Trust me, I tried to justify buying a diesel but ended up back in a Tundra and tow 15 plus times a year dragging my mule 600 miles a weekend.
                  What kind of mileage do you get with the Tundra pulling the mule?

Comment

Single digits pulled tandem car hauler and mule pro fxt loaded with corn and whatever else we may need. Had 210k on my last tundra, no repairs or parts needed.

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                      I bet a lot better than the diesel. I’ve pulled a lot with my 17’ 350 and my dads 14 & 17’ Tundras. The Tundras would get 16-17 unloaded, and 13-14 loaded with a 18 ft trailer a UTV & ATV. My 350 pulling the same stretch gets 11 with just a 12 ft trailer and UTV or 10 with my 24’ gooseneck and both UTVs.

Comment

Like others have said, the F150 will serve you just fine. I don't own it anymore but, had no problem pulling my 32' TT which was usually in the 8200# range with my 15' 5.0. You feel the trailer more than in a 3/4 or 1 ton but, for all the time in-between that you're not hooked up to a trailer you'll enjoy the ride and lower costs.

Comment

Right at 10k. Pulls great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

F-150's nowadays have the same HP the old diesels did back then...it won't feel the same but that motor can easily that load great...1/2 tons are easier around town for finding parking spots too....I went from a f250 diesel (2016) to an '18 F150 with the 5.0. Doesn't have the torque but still gets around slower traffic just fine...especially if you shift into "Sport"...lots of fun!

Comment

My 3.5L with max tow takes off and accelerates better than my 2015 GMC 2500 duramax did. Now you can definitely feel the trailer more in the F150 if its heavy and stopping is harder but with a load like yours you should be running brakes on the trailer. I would not think twice about it with the limited amount of towing you do.

Comment

I think you got your answer - on my 4th half ton eco boost - tow a 7 lb boat and 11 lb trailer with zero issues. When not towing you will love the gas mileage - I get 22-23 on hwy

Comment

Working...
                                X