Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A target just showed his face, youth hunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercool! Congrats Logan!

Comment

Awesome congrats to y’all!

Comment

thank you fellas, Logan read all the replies with a huge smile on his face

My title as full time guide/deer dragger/deer cleaner really solidified itself right before Thanksgiving when my oldest, 11yo Brock, killed his first buck on the first evening of a 4 day hunt. We spent the rest of the weekend trying to get Logan his first kill, deer, hog, ANYTHING, and just couldnt make it happen.

All they want to do anymore is hunt every free second we get. I finally hunted by myself a few times the last 2 weeks of the season (and got blanked) and told them as soon as youth season started it would be on!

The forecast hasnt looked good all week but I told them we would go today after school no matter what. Luckily the rain kept getting pushed back and we made our way out there with hopes of getting it in before the rain hit.

We have had this 6pt on cam for 3 years now, and he has looked pretty much the same, just a little bigger each year. This was supposed to be Brocks buck but when I was unable to close the deal on a big 8, I told Brock he could have him if he shows. So the 6 and the 8 were pretty much all we were looking for tonight.

I knew we would be pushing it but we got down there about 20mins later than I wanted to. I have a Redneck soft side blind out there that is on the ground right now, awaiting a platform I have ready to go. We got settled in, with the feeder in front of us to our left, the southeast, which is where the wind was coming from...perfect.

We werent in the stand for more than 5 minutes and I am still giving my "Logan, you CAN NOT tap your feet like that bud...Logan, YOU CAN NOT talk that loud buddy.." speeches and I look to the southwest and see a buck looking right at me through a bush from about 40y. He has a little dink with him who has no idea we are there but the 6pt knows something is up.

At this point Brock was in the shooters seat, and I asked him if he wanted the 6 or wanted to wait for the 8, and he said Logan could shoot the 6. So they (surprisingly) quietly swapped seats and Logan got locked in.

We all get quiet and watch for a few minutes as he starts to walk to the west behind a big cedar. The 7mm08 was on a Caldwell Fieldpod and was pointing out the window to the south, so as soon as I had a chance, when the buck went behind the cedar, I picked it up and swung it around and pointed it right at a small opening I thought the buck would walk through.

Logan jumps over in my seat and I told him where to look. The buck comes out, and I thought he could have taken the shot, but he was still pretty nervous and by the time he was ready the buck was quartering to us pretty hard and disappeared to our right. We sat for few minutes with nothing then Brock says he can hear footsteps in the woods. I sat down and told Logan to sit on my lap because I could tell the rifle was a bit too tall for him.

Thats right about then I started typing the first post here, and in mid-post we hear a loud "blow" no more than 20y from us. We could still hear him walking around so I hit a soft grunt at him and he blew again and I thought I heard him take off...

Well he didnt, we could see him on the other side of a big cedar but he walked off to the right again. Logan looked back at me and said, "dad, my whole body is shaking."

We waited for a few more minutes and I figured the chance has slipped away, but then Logan says, "dad, there he is!" He was walking straight away from us at about 60y and I grabbed the grunt call and hit it, WTH IT WORKED! He stopped and turned around, stared for a second and took 3-4 steps towards us. He was quartering hard but gave us enough of his left shoulder that I told Logan to put it on his chest and squeeze.

At the shot the buck whirled to his left and hit the ground. He bounced up and ran behind some brush, I heard the running stop and hoped that he had gone down. He did, he made it about 20-25y. We didnt wait nearly as long as we probably should have, but was got out and snuck up with the binos and could see him laying there. What a moment

The Barnes Vor-tx didnt exit but it made soup inside that buck.

Now we will be focused on Brock and the 8pt until the 20th, we will be back out Sunday and then again next weekend.

Sorry for the long post, but this will be fun to look back at down the road

Comment

Ham

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Great stuff. Congrats Logan

Comment

The 8pt... should have been my buck[emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome job the little TBHer! Is this the place you were talking about last week on here around Boles?

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  Awesome job the little TBHer! Is this the place you were talking about last week on here around Boles?
                  thank you.. same place, but what is the definition of "around Boles."

its probably 6 miles from boles.

Comment

Comment

Congrats Logan! Great buck!

Comment

Thanks fellas

Found a pic of the buck from last year, we tried to get Brock on him but never saw him.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to Logan. I bet Dad was shaking as much as Logan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats that's awesome!

Comment

Oh man thats awesome.
                                I cant wait to post something simular someday.

Comment

Working...
                                X