Interesting "jumping the string" research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting "jumping the string" research

This has probably been posted before, but I had never seen it.

Yeah, Dr. Grant Woods is an awesome resource. If you haven’t subscribed to his YouTube channel I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. Exactly why I don't shoot at deer over 20 yds. I have in the past, mostly with bad results. Too big of a gamble on what the deer is going to do before contact.

Comment

Interesting stuff especially after listening to a podcast with Lee and Tiffany talking about taking 50+yard shots. I will stick with my 20 yard shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
          This has probably been posted before, but I had never seen it.

https://youtu.be/IWXWUBWSszk
          Yeah, I watch his GDTv show all the time.

Comment

it's amazing how fast their reflexes are!! my impact area is only about 15 yds away from my stand.

Comment

Now I know I never made a bad shot. Just the deer dropping.
              Good info

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                  Interesting stuff especially after listening to a podcast with Lee and Tiffany talking about taking 50+yard shots. I will stick with my 20 yard shots.
                  At the longer ranges a deer will cease to react to the sound of the bow because the sound level has decreased below their sound threat threshold. I do some photography out of my pop up and have noticed different deer react at different ranges to the shutter. Generally, I'm good at 20-25 yards, some deer won't react at 15 while others will spook as far out as 30.

The big problem with long range shots is flight time. A deer could easily take a step or two forward during a 1 second flight time and that double lung shot turns into a gut shot.

Comment

I stumbled across this video the other night. Good stuff, I've watched several of his videos, but still haven't subscribed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for posting, great info.

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

Thanks for posting, makes me feel better about some of my shots I thought were bad.
                          I will certainly keep this in mind going forward.
                          Great Video and research!

Comment

Shooter

Test would've been more accurate with a hooter shooter.

Hunter might've been off on his shot, showing diff impact.

But..... I do agree with the results that deer can drop farther at 40 than 20 and that a faster (and accurate) bow "helps" to cover that gap.

I use a rangefinder and aim at the top of the heart at all distances. If they don't drop, I'm still good. I rarely shoot past 40.

Comment

I agree a hooter shooter would have been better, but pretty good info on there non the less! I did notice all the extreme droppers were doe. And never thought about the head down vs head up advantage... or disadvantage

I’ve noticed traveling deer are not a 10th as jumpy as feeding deer (plot, feeder, oak tree) they are always on guard. But a deer walking a ridge or scent checking sometimes never knew they were hit and the deer in group just stand around clueless

Awesome video. Thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                              X