Rare animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    Javelina, horn toads, blue quail, bob white quail, been a very long time since I last got to hunt blues, I really miss hunting those things. Another thing I have not seen in years, are some kind of huge toad, that buries it' self deep in the mud. I have only seen them once or twice 40 something years ago, when I was a kid, at my grandparent's house. It had rained a lot, for weeks, the ground was very saturated, they had around 35 acers on the Nueces River, on the edge of Corpus. But a crew came out and started digging the ditch out, much deeper in front of their place to improve drainage. Afterwards, there were huge toads all along where they dug out that ditch. Those toads must have been buried 3 ft. or more down. These things were about the size of 6" to 8" diameter plate. My grandparents had never seen those toads previously. I had figured out, when it rained, you could drop vegetable cans in the ditches, leave them there for an hour or so, then come back and pick them up, and usually have a crawdad in the can. So I was trying to catch crawdads, with cans, then found a huge toad, caught that. Then quickly realized there was another, and then quickly realized there were a bunch of them all around the freshly dug out ditch. Only saw those toads, after one or two monsoon seasons we had. Somewhere there is an old picture of me holding one of those toads.

Other things I have not seen in may years, are hognose snakes, water moccasins, and blue indigos. I don't miss the moccasins, and their attitudes. Other things I have not seen in years, are what we used to call glass snakes, supposedly they are actually legless lizards. They grow to about 1 1/2' long, their tails will break off easily, but they will regrow new tails. They are kind of strange things.

Of the things I listed most have dropped in population some to a lot, but at the same time, I don't live or hunt in the same areas I used to, when growing up, so that's the biggest reason I don't see those critters anymore.

I have never seen a spotted skunk, or at least that I can remember. Now I have pictures of a skunk that is more white than black. It was basically a white skunk, with a black stripe. I wanted to shoot it and get it mounted, but never actually saw it in person, only on camera. It showed up a few times to my feeder.
    The white skunk you saw was a hog nosed skunk. Their back is solid white and the hair hangs almost all the way to the ground. They are bigger than striped skunks as well.

Comment

Red wolf

Comment

I miss the bob whites here in Wood County. Been many years since I’ve seen a wild covey.

Comment

Horned toads, Bob white quail and robins

Comment

Never been an honest politician since the beginning of time

Comment

I killed a buck with a white nose this year. One taxi had never seen one, another only 3 in 25 years.

Comment

Firefly’s. Where did they go?

Comment

A black whitetail, blonde coon, and a white squirrel. Been a minute since I’ve seen the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                    I saw a black fox last week. Ran across the road near the quarry in Jarrell.
                    Saw one of those back in 2020. Hunted hard for it but only ended up getting a regular Red Fox. I really don't care to shoot another but I would if I seen that black Fox again. That's pretty dang cool and very rare.

Comment

There are 2 or 3 Zoo’s in Texas working on repopulating the Horned toad lizard. They raise the lizard get the eggs and hatch them and have started turning them loose.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                        There are 2 or 3 Zoo’s in Texas working on repopulating the Horned toad lizard. They raise the lizard get the eggs and hatch them and have started turning them loose.
                        San Jose Island has a good population of horned toads. They established a no pesticide program many years ago.

Comment

A shrew. First and last one I saw was in the early 80's.

Comment

Seen coatimundi a few times camped on the lower Pecos. Suckers would pilfer through our chuck box at night. I watched 2 of them, one holding the chuck box lid open, the other inside throwing Oreos out like he bought them.

Comment

Quail and horn toads in Smith county

Had good numbers of both 35 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Highbridge hand View Post
                                Seen coatimundi a few times camped on the lower Pecos. Suckers would pilfer through our chuck box at night. I watched 2 of them, one holding the chuck box lid open, the other inside throwing Oreos out like he bought them.
                                LoL

Comment

Working...
                                X