Alaska to do / to see suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    We were in Homer on a fishing trip for a week many moons ago. Did Halibut twice, kings twice, and were also at Homer during their Salmon snagging season, so we went down to the spit and snagged, which was a lot of fun.
    Yeah, I have looked into ‘flossing’ (snagging salmon), but was also looking for some places to do some DIY walk-in rainbow trout, grayling, etc. fishing on our own as well.

Comment

Can always stop at The Great Alaskan Bush Company

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        We are doing this and that is who we are using
        It is so freekin awesome!!! We caught out limit of salmon pretty quick and then went over to this little island where our guide cleaned them. While he was cleaning them he set my son up with a rod and he sat there and caught white fish one after another. The bears swam over to us and was eating the entrails of the fish he was cleaning. He even broke out this little grill and cooked some up while we watched the bears. INCREDIBLE!!!
        Last edited by ColinR; 03-29-2023, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
          Have you been?

Comment

Have you been?
            I've been to AK many times for work travel

Comment

This would be a great family activity

Comment

I've been to AK many times for work travel
                Not sure you answered the question

Comment

Anyone done an overnight in one of the cabins in Katmai?

Comment

Anyone done an overnight in one of the cabins in Katmai?
                    Haven't overnighted there but have fished below the falls and to do so we had to walk through the cabins. Also had to eat our lunch inside the designated outside eating area by the cabins and as we were eating, a sow and cub came strolling down the path 15' from us. Also got a picture (he was up on the bank and we were in the river fishing) with Otis, the old boar bear that is rather famous on the Brooks Falls cameras. Katmai will be VERY packed by July and especially August. Tons of tourists and every single one has a camera with a 5' long lens!

Comment

Delta store is granite outdoors, you can catch grayling at just about every pull off in clean not muddy water. Montana creek and willow would be good trout and salmon spot off the parks highway. Pike fishing in land locked lakes is fun they are hammers, we always had a 5wt fly rod with a ant/mosquite fly for grayling bad A dorsal fin. Just drive and glass, in denail you will see sheep in the mountains and bou in the flats. I miss it the Air Force let me live up there for 8.5 years. Anchorage is like Austin, hippies and the like. I consider it heaven on earth.

Comment

Great info, thanks gents.

Looking forward to it!

Comment

Anyone ship fish back? Whadya do?

Comment

Anyone ship fish back? Whadya do?
                            There’s a place in Homer and may be a couple now that flash freeze your fish. Contact them ahead of time and see if they also handle shipping. We just packed ours in styrofoam coolers and brought them back on the plane frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                              There’s a place in Homer and may be a couple now that flash freeze your fish. Contact them ahead of time and see if they also handle shipping. We just packed ours in styrofoam coolers and brought them back on the plane frozen.
                              10th and M seafood is super easy seafood storage in anchorage ( not too far from the airport). I don’t remember exactly what it cost, but not bad. Lots of places will process/freeze and store game/seafood. Most hotels have walk in freezers and resorts all have chest freezers. Some even have food savers, you just buy the bags.
                              I skip the coolers and fish boxes, just freeze everything solid and put in a sleeping bag inside a duffel. It stays frozen solid 8-12 hours easy. If you’re over #50 throw a stack of frozen fish in a balled up sweatshirt in a carry on. If you get a credit card for the airline you use, pay for a couple extra bags coming home. Fish boxes are fine, but they add up and many won’t hold 45-50 pounds of fish.

Old Denali highway is a lot of fun to drive and a great glimpse of real interior Alaska ( big contrast from anchorage and the peninsula. Bring a gas can and fill up every chance you get, it’s fairly desolate and the fuel and everything gets exponentially more expensive.
                              The fishing is ridiculous, learn about flossing and “chuck and duck” steel head style “ fishing” for reds.
                              If you can swing it, pop for a lodge on the Kenai. They’re all right in the honey holes, and will fill your freezer.
                              Water taxis out of Homer and Seward can be a great side trip and are pretty affordable.
                              The glaciers are all great, highly recommend hiking them all.
                              Be prepared for lots of people and traffic in the summer months. Lots of campers and giant boats being towed down the road. You can get pretty much anything you need up there, so don’t stress about packing a bunch of stuff. Some stuff like waders will be sold down at the peak early sockeye late June.
                              Talkeetna is a fun stop over, jet boat tours are great and there’s some decent rafting there as well.

Comment

Wife and I went caribou hunting last year out of Kotz. Spent 5 days traveling down the Kenia and it is beautiful. If you’ve never been get ready to be hooked. We cant wait to go back. Heck, we’ve contemplated just moving there bc we love it so much. Some great breweries and recommend stopping at each one. We were there during the fall and got to watch the colors of the leaves change. It was incredible!

The guide we fished with on a float trip was hands down the best fishing guide I’ve ever fished with. He grew up on that river and knows every inch of it and put us on a ton of rainbows and dolly’s. His name is Mike and he’s out of cooper landing.

If you need to rent anything here is a place in anchorage. We rented waders and wading boots from them. One of the waders had a small hole in the knee. I’d recommend keeping some Contractor trash bags with you in case one springs a leak. I’m sure they would have most everything else you’d need if you choose to leave something at home. Better call and make a reservation if it’s the busy season.

Alaska Outdoor Gear Rental | Ski rental, Snowboard Rental Anchorage, Backcountry Ski Rental, Ice Skate, Snowshoe, Winter Parka rental, Winter Parka Fairbanks, Camping Gear Rental, Anchorage Fishing store, Hiking, Paddlesports, Electronics, Hunt, Bear Spray Rental, Denali National Park, fishing rod rental, resort ski rental, Book Alaska Railroad packages, reservation, Book Alaska railroad tours, Spencer glacier tour Railroad, Explore denali Alaska railroad, Alaska Airline Cruise Passengers.

I’d also recommend renting a sat phone in anchorage or at least renting/buying an inreach mini if you’re going to get off the beaten path. You can text using the mini through your phone. Better safe than sorry and the cell service is non existent unless you’re in a town. Huge plus in my opinion!

Alaska is a magical place and has stolen my heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X