Alaska to do / to see suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska to do / to see suggestions

Gonna be all up and down the Kenai, up towards Fairbanks, and around toward Delta Junction/Glenallen for a week and a half.

Already ready have a fly out fishing trip planned and a halibut run planned.

Looking for must do’s, must see, must stop places to eat, suggestions for bank/min. wade fishing for all species (doesn’t have to be just salmon) along the highways, and any other etc. all around.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 03-28-2023, 10:55 PM.

When will you go?

I will be there during April and May, and probably a couple weeks into June. Working at first but then play time starts around mid May. I have a thread here and on a couple other sites that I'll share with you.

Jeff

Comment

May be too far south but Denali and Whitier should be on any Alaskan list

Comment

Highly recommend Matanuska and walking on the glacier.

Comment

Be there end of June.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
            May be too far south but Denali and Whitier should be on any Alaskan list
            Both on the list, and are in opposite directions from Anchorage.

Comment

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
              Highly recommend Matanuska and walking on the glacier.
              I saw this on another site, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                When will you go?

I will be there during April and May, and probably a couple weeks into June. Working at first but then play time starts around mid May. I have a thread here and on a couple other sites that I'll share with you.

Jeff
                Thanks, I saw that and might have even tagged it.

Comment

I’m sure you have, but did you reach out to Andy? He should be able to point you in several directions.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                    I’m sure you have, but did you reach out to Andy? He should be able to point you in several directions.
                    Box already checked. He has been very helpful.

Comment

I lived in Anchorage many years ago... definitely agree with Denali and Matanuska glacier. If you want to see brown bears check out Katmai National Park. You have to get there by boat or float plane but its truly amazing! Search for photos of Brooks Falls.

For Bald Eagles, there was a place between Kenai and Homer (Ninilchik or close I think) where fishing boats would dump guts/carcasses on the beach. Incredible photo opportunities. Recommend a good camera with at least a 200mm lens for wildlife and a wide angle for landscapes.

Also highly recommend "The MILEPOST 2023: Alaska Travel Planner." It literally tells you mile by mile what's there and which places are open by season. It's also hard copy which is handy when you're in remote areas with no cell service.

Enjoy your stay!

Comment

We went in Summer of 2021 for 2 weeks. One of the best trips I have ever done. The highlight of our trip was a float plane trip into the backcountry over by Lake Clark forest catching salmon and watching brown bears less than 20 yards away. We did that through Talon Air services. I would HIGHLY recommend you check into it.

A couple other things i remembered that are cool to see.
                        Bear Creek Weir, its just north of Seward. When we were there in July here were millions of salmon swimming up stream at the weir. Very cool to see and its just off the road. Very easy access.

Hike into Russian River Falls. Also tons of salmon swimming up steam. Lots of fishermen too. carry bear spray as the bears were there fishing as well.

Oh yea, also I would recommend the bus tour of Denali park. Its all day like 8 hours but so worth it. I was afraid my son would be bored but he had a blast. So much to see. So many animals. There were some smaller kids on our bus and they all had a great time.
                        Last edited by ColinR; 03-29-2023, 01:08 PM.

Comment

We were in Homer on a fishing trip for a week many moons ago. Did Halibut twice, kings twice, and were also at Homer during their Salmon snagging season, so we went down to the spit and snagged, which was a lot of fun.

Comment

I can’t remember the name of the store in Delta junction, but It’s a huge building kind of like a warehouse with tons of hunting and fishing equipment. It’s all kind of disorganized and you have to kind of look around at everything to find stuff but they had great deals on clothes, boots, hunting fishing, etc.. just ask around there somebody will know.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                              We went in Summer of 2021 for 2 weeks. One of the best trips I have ever done. The highlight of our trip was a float plane trip into the backcountry over by Lake Clark forest catching salmon and watching brown bears less than 20 yards away. We did that through Talon Air services. I would HIGHLY recommend you check into it.
                              We are doing this and that is who we are using

Comment

Working...
                              X