Hog on ice question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog on ice question

Daughter shot a sow a week ago Saturday. I’ve had it covered in ice with the cooler plug open and had the intention of processing it this past weekend, but life got in the way. Will it be okay until Wednesday or possibly this weekend?

Unless you've had Salt in there with it, i'd say absolutely not. Toss that pig and get her another one.

Comment

I have kept quartered deer like that for two weeks. I'm not sure about wild hogs. I don't see why not.

Comment

Skinned...heck ya. Skin on...I'd pass

Comment

Yes its fine. Bet it ends up being one of the better hogs you've ever had.

Comment

If it doesn't stink then it is fine..
            If it has a slick/slimey feeling on the surface I would feed the coyotes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              Yes its fine. Bet it ends up being one of the better hogs you've ever had.

This

Comment

I would not be scared of a pig on ice for 2 weeks.

Comment

No problem at all. It’s getting mo betta.

Comment

I shot a mulie several years back that was rank from being on sage and also rutting. I did exactly what you’re doing with a constant stream of fresh ice and open drain plug. That sucker turned out good.

Comment

As long as you have not let the ice melt in the cooler, it's good. I have done the same thing to a couple of deer I shot, then the nilgai. Meat was great. I have since learned that the flavor of the meat is supposed to improve, if you let it sit on ice or in a cooler for a two weeks. The longest I have let something sit on ice, was five days.

So far the best wild game I have ever eaten, by far, was a mule deer, I shot and left on ice for five days. I still don't know if that deer was going to be great eating no matter when I butchered it, or if it had anything to do, with it being on ice for five days. That meat, was very tender and tasted great.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        No problem at all. It’s getting mo betta.
                        This!

Rwc

Comment

It will be great. Like others said, if it stinks or has a slimy film then toss it. Bet it will taste great.

Comment

Just closer to tofu.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              As long as you have not let the ice melt in the cooler, it's good. I have done the same thing to a couple of deer I shot, then the nilgai. Meat was great. I have since learned that the flavor of the meat is supposed to improve, if you let it sit on ice or in a cooler for a two weeks. The longest I have let something sit on ice, was five days.

So far the best wild game I have ever eaten, by far, was a mule deer, I shot and left on ice for five days. I still don't know if that deer was going to be great eating no matter when I butchered it, or if it had anything to do, with it being on ice for five days. That meat, was very tender and tasted great.

How many words per minute do you type?

Comment

Working...
                              X