No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa........those are some beast of deer.......and in daylight!!! I wonder if East Texas has begun to change......at least a little bit.....lol.
    I was out on our new place looking around and clearing some limbs on over grown roads the last two days. Saw about 4 deer but no bucks. Probably be another 2 years to get it under control but it feels good to have our own place that is big enough to actively manage for wildlife. Gotta wait on a cool front to get fired up to drive to the hill country to bowhunt this year.
    Oh, the neighbor to our south is selling their place for a HUGE price but we are considering making an offer as it has a house and two barns already. It would make a great buffer for what I believe are my primary points to bowhunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      Today I scored a 80 acre place to hunt just down from my house. Guy said consider it yours forever if you just maintain the roads by mowing them. I got three cameras out and one pop up today. I am impatiently waiting for pics from the one cell cam I put out.
      Niiiiiiiice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Basically I’ve got 9 deer over 2 stand locations, 4 young bucks and 5 does. I was just making a joke about having nothing to get excited about, but I know you’re right about it being WAY too early to call it a season. It’s just a tiny bit disheartening when some guys seem to be covered up in good bucks already.

I am pleased about our fawn crop this year though, so that bodes well for the future after what I presume was a big die-off from the freeze.
        Yea… I just saw a video from a friend in Trinity County, most guys would have fallen out of the tree. He saw same buck 3 hunts in a row at 15 yards. Meanwhile, just down the road in Polk County we are patiently waiting for it to start. Thing is, it’s always been that way on my place, it gets real interesting here in 2 weeks. Right now they are still laying low. Don’t give up hope yet and hunt every minute from Oct 25 to mid Nov. Thats my plan anyways.

Comment

Got another big 6 to chase this year.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Persimmon right???

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post

Sign me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                Sign me up!

Ditto.......i love big unicorns of any species!!!

Comment

Heck of a 6 EastTx
                  Noticed you are in Cherokee cty
                  I’m bow hunting my place here in Mixon area

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                    Yea… I just saw a video from a friend in Trinity County, most guys would have fallen out of the tree. He saw same buck 3 hunts in a row at 15 yards. Meanwhile, just down the road in Polk County we are patiently waiting for it to start. Thing is, it’s always been that way on my place, it gets real interesting here in 2 weeks. Right now they are still laying low. Don’t give up hope yet and hunt every minute from Oct 25 to mid Nov. Thats my plan anyways.
                    Thats the plan. I’m sure it will be fine.

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Persimmon right???
                    Good lord you found the mother load!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                      Persimmon right???
                      Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                      Wild Pear

Comment

OMG! That's a beautiful buck.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                          Wild Pear
                          Yup. Persimmon leaves are longer and thinner and the fruit is more orange with a teardrop bottom. The persimmon bark is also dark and rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                            The boys are starting to come home. One of my lease mates feed pen.
                            Wished the deer I had all summer would come back home. He has been gone a month now. I really would like to put my hands on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              Well I got it done this morning. Sometimes a blind hog does find an acorn. I had an epic hunt this morning on one of the most beautiful opening mornings I can remember. I woke up at 3:45 am to a thermometer reading 48 degrees at camp. I had to wake up early so I could get on my stand extra early as the last few days deer had been showing up well before daylight and I didn’t want to spook them. I parked my four wheeler right at a half mile away from my stand and started walking in. About that time my cell cam alerts me that a buck is at my feeder. I try to time it so he leaves before I get there, but I also worried more would show up. I decide to sneak on in. I was in and settled at 4:55 am. I spent the next hour seeing a doe and a hog on camera in front of me, but it was so dark I saw nothing. Finally as dawn approached I had a young doe come in to my feed pen and a minute later a mature doe came from my left and walked about 3 yards in front of my stand. At 7:15 a squirrel hunter drove down the road about 800 yards away and spooked the two does. Shortly after, the woods erupted in 22 caliber shots. It sounded like WWIII. I was getting pretty low on my expectations for the day. At 7:50 a small 8pt came in directly from behind my feed pen but never went in. He kept looking to my right and behind me. After about 5 minutes 3 more small bucks come from that direction at 15 yards. One pushes the first buck off and then something big runs in wide open and chases all the bucks back down to my right. About that time this buck comes in from the left and follows the others off. Ten minutes goes by and three of the smaller bucks head back in. I can tell they are not going to my pen but back behind me to my right. I look up and this buck is behind them. I quickly range a big pine at 30 yards. I can tell he is going to walk right past it but he is facing me. Finally he starts to turn and I draw back but another buck gets in front of him. I hold for a good two minutes. Finally the other buck moves but this one is now blocked by a tree. At 8:16 he makes a step or two forward and I decided to thread the needle. I made a good hit and had complete pass through. He turned and ran 50 yards or so and stopped and stood for what seemed like forever then stumbled and fell over.

[ATTACH]1104118[/ATTACH]

Beautiful deer!!

Comment

I want this deer !! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X