The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I've never hunted in New Mexico before, so I'm trying to get the rules straight. Last thing I want is a fine. Would you guys who hunt NM confirm what I'm understanding, please?

1. Blaze orange NOT required for a rifle elk hunt on private land. (Only required on military properties and Valles Caldera, right?)

2. Tagging a cow elk - carcass tag attached to a hock (if not boned out) OR kept with the boned out meat (not physically attached, just kept with the meat)

3. Tagging a bull elk - carcass tag same as for cow elk above, PLUS antler tag attached to base of antler

4. Proof of sex (cow elk) - must be accompanied by either the scalp and both ears (so the whole head isn't required, just scalp skin with ears attached is good?) or the external genitalia naturally attached to one quarter (similar to Colorado)

5. Proof of sex (bull elk) - antlers attached to skull or skull plate is all you need, correct?

6. Mandatory harvest reporting after your hunt. Any deadline on when it has to be done?

What else do I need to be aware of?
    Add to license (fees)
    - 29 HMAV
    - 91 - Habitat Stamp
    - 53 Game Hunting

Comment

Shane,
      Ranch only or unit wide hunt? Either sex tag?

No orange required, the harvest report will have a deadline date prior to next seasons draw.

Comment

37 is ranch only, doesn’t have unit wide LO tags. Non core
        Last edited by Texans42; 09-15-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            Shane,
            Ranch only or unit wide hunt? Either sex tag?

No orange required, the harvest report will have a deadline date prior to next seasons draw.
            Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            Right. Ranch only.

Am I reading things right on tagging and proof of sex?

Comment

I returned from NM late yesterday.

I spent two nights at the Inn of the mountain gods on the Mescalero Apache reservation. Great place, great and a fun time.

I didn't hear any buggleing while out and about, both on the res and in unit 36.

On my hike in 36 I did talk to two groups of bow hunters who have been seeing elk but not many close encounters. These were both local and out of state hunters. No talking among bulls and thick country has made it tough for them.

The Mescalero is on their second hunt for the season. The first hunt brought in about 25 management / trophies. The second hunt brought in 5 management bulls on day one. I left mid morning on day two of the hunt and nothing had came in yet.

Comment

My daughter’s dance studio is raffling off a elk hunt! Search them on FB or call the number. Unit 37 either sex private ranch.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, it is tag soup for my brother and I on our first ever elk hunt but man was it amazing. Spent 6 days in elk country with 4 encounters, 1 @ 90yds, 2 @ 40 and 1 was full draw @ 35yds only problem is the only clear shot was at 90yds and I am just not making that kind of shot.

The weather was insanely hot, hit 96 on the last day of our hunt and the bulls quit talking other than during the cool of night. We learned so much it wasn't even funny, made priceless memories and got to spend more quality time together than have in nearly a decade.

We will definitely be heading back next year but plan to push the date back to the last week and a half of archery season in hopes of cooler weather and better rutting activity. Congratulations to all whom were able to punch a tag and better luck next time to those that landed in the same boat as us!

Comment

Where did you hunt and have 96 degree weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Where did you hunt and have 96 degree weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Southern border of CO just north of the NM line. September 10th
                      Last edited by Uncle_Milty; 09-20-2021, 01:47 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                        Any rut reports from NW Colorado? Ill be heading up there the end of next week.
                        I just got back from NW Colorado. Hunted the 11th thru the 18th Bulls were bugling early and late, the rut was just starting. 81 for highs and mid 30's for lows. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tmkrueger View Post
                          I just got back from NW Colorado. Hunted the 11th thru the 18th Bulls were bugling early and late, the rut was just starting. 81 for highs and mid 30's for lows. Good luck!

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we are hitting the moon and weather right!

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                            Southern border of CO just north of the NM line. September 10th
                            We were just south of the border from you and can attest to the heat, it was brutal for NM hunting weather.

Comment

I was up in southern CO from the 2nd to the 9th. Finally bugled in a bull for the first time in 3 years. He stopped behind a cluster of pines at 27 yards. Never got a shot on him, but it was nice to actually call one in. Not to mention he was bugling right back at me. After that initial encounter they seemed to go silent. Got within 6 yards of a black bear, never spooked him also cool. No add on bear tag available in the unit I was hunting. Headed back up Thursday after work for a few day last chance attempt at filling my tag. So far I've seen/spooked more elk this year than the last two combined. I mean still just a handful, but I'll take it over my last two years. I have yet to encounter a field full of them with a tag in hand. I'm excited to get back up there.

Comment

My wife knows this hunter’s sister. I just can’t understand that people don’t identify their target. What part of a human are you aiming at that looks like behind the shoulder on an elk?

Comment

Working...
                                X