Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the 90% on whitetail, 50% on elk but that was my fault for going in to soon after the shot and bumping up the bedded bull 50 yds from where I shot. I knew it was a good shot with bloody arrow but not heart or double lung my opinion was lung and liver and of course afterwards reading on elk wait 6 hrs......they have alot of blood.....

Comment

Big advantage I've had on whitetail is being elevated, and fairly open to either watch them drop or know exactly where to go look.

Comment

I actually lost more when I rifle hunted, much longer shots and reading all the articles I went heart lungs but once I started front shoulder never lost one dropped right there.

Comment

This post has me thinking about my personal rate of recovery of arrowed animals over the last 40 years of bow hunting. I wished now that I would have kept a journal with a running record of this very topic.

Three whitetail non-recovered stand out, none more than my last years Mexico bruiser, then the one before that was 2011's (Accepting the bad days as I do the good days - Part 2 thread) that I ended up stumbling across 2 months later.

But Buff's above post puts a little different twist to it. Out of all my kills, how many did I have to turn Buzz loose on to help me locate? And if I would not have had Buzz, would I have eventually found those? I do believe with more and more tracking dogs out there and handlers willing to offer a their service's, the percentage of not recovering a wounded animal has dropped......

All I know is when I don't recover an animal that I get an arrow in, it really sticks with me hard!

Rwc

Comment

In Colorado with elk I would guess and say well over 50% of the time the shot was bad and either results in a lost animal or additional shots.

Comment

I only remember losing one. A doe I had a complete pass through on several years ago. Shot looked perfect to me. Arrow was covered in blood, but only found a few drops on the ground. I've killed about 48 with my bow that have all been recovered. I guess I'm at 98%.

I've lost 3 with a rifle over the years

Comment

When I started hunting in 1980 the success rate for archery was about 10%. Today with the new bows, arrows & broadheads I would guess the success rate is close to 70%. Way more information for the new hunters to glean knowledge from as opposed to the old trial by fire approach we used in the old days. Still there is no better way to improve your success rate than practice, practice, practice. Most hunters that wound game consistently take marginal shoots and get gassed up before releasing the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  I have said it for years..
                  I would hate to be a deer during archery season..
                  To many yahoo's hunting with archery equipment, or any equipment for that matter, that refuse to put in the time and effort it takes learn their equipment, what it takes to be effective and efficient at killing with their chosen equipment.. There is a whole more that is required to be efficient at killing than some realize....
                  Example: We should NEVER, ok rarely, see a post describing "lack of penetration"!!! I know it happens frequently on "hunting shows" but honestly it should rarely be a issue with today's technology in bows and broadheads.. There is entirely to many hunters that are choosing speed over Kenetic energy for a flatter flight path as to help with them compensate for lack of practice and their lack of ability to judge distance.. Kinetic energy is second in importance only behind accuracy.. It's obvious that many do not get this..
                  Hi - just curious - what is your recommendation on how many joules of KE you think is appropriate? I'm new to archery and just figured my J is = to 109, if I did the math correctly. Arrows are 8.6 GPI at 29.5", plus a 100g broadhead = 353.7 g, and my bow is rated at 340 fps, but I took it down to 320 since I'm 28.5" draw at 70#. Thoughts?

Comment

I've been hunting dang near all my life but have only been a bowhunter for 15 years. I've killed countless deer with a rifle and never lost one but have only taken 8 deer with my bow. I consider myself very accurate with my bow out to 40-50 yds. With that said, I have lost two deer in my 15 years of bowhunting. The first was a doe at 46 yds during the very first season with my bow. I had been practicing religiously and made a great shot on the doe. I learned a huge lesson on patience that season. She dropped only a few yards from the shot and I didn't see her moving so I climbed down after only a few minutes only to jump her up. Lost blood after 100 yds and looked for hours without success. The second one was last year when I took a quartered to shot that I knew I shouldn't take. It would have been my biggest buck ever taken with a gun or bow and I let my excitement cause me to make a bad decision. The hit was high and the buck survived and was shot on youth weekend on another property. I don't think I've ever lost a hog that I tried to find. I'm also curious what the actual percentage is on whitetail deer. I also wonder how many hunters make a bad shot and then never tell anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      Hi - just curious - what is your recommendation on how many joules of KE you think is appropriate? I'm new to archery and just figured my J is = to 109, if I did the math correctly. Arrows are 8.6 GPI at 29.5", plus a 100g broadhead = 353.7 g, and my bow is rated at 340 fps, but I took it down to 320 since I'm 28.5" draw at 70#. Thoughts?
                      I don't use any formula or fancy calculation I just use common sense and experience and I'm not to worried about FPS either as I keep my shots to 35 yards and under.
                      I've never, in 40 years of bowhunting, shot a bow through a chrono.
                      When your arrow in sticking in the ground or lost in the brush because it blew through your target animal you are good...
                      I shoot 72lbs, 31.5 draw, arrow is 30.5" long @10.9 grains per inch, and 125 head.. 457gr. total weight.. Expandable or fixed blade,it doesn't matter, it blows through.. Even the upper shoulder blades.

Comment

I picked up a bow for the first time in May of 2018. Nobody in my family or many of my friends hunt with a bow so it has been a big learning curve for me and have learned a lot from my mistakes. I felt adequate to go hunt last fall if my shots were kept in my comfort zone under 30yds. I ended up recovering 4/4 deer I shot, 3 does and a buck. The buck I feel especially lucky to find. I was at full draw for too long and my buck fever was through the roof. As soon as I let the arrow out..."****"....I hit it way further back that I would ever want to. I gave it 2 plus hours and my brother and I began trailing and ended up finding him after 500 yards of a decent blood trail. I know bad things can happen from a great shot so I count myself lucky to find him.

I have shot a lot of deer with a rifle and lost a few, mostly to my early years of hunting with a smaller caliber. But the bottom line is it happens at times to the best of hunters. All we can do is practice and be in tune with your equipment to give an animal a clean kill and yourself the best chance of recovery.

Enjoyed reading posts from long time bow hunters as I just have a small sample to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Browning270 View Post
                          I picked up a bow for the first time in May of 2018. Nobody in my family or many of my friends hunt with a bow so it has been a big learning curve for me and have learned a lot from my mistakes. I felt adequate to go hunt last fall if my shots were kept in my comfort zone under 30yds. I ended up recovering 4/4 deer I shot, 3 does and a buck. The buck I feel especially lucky to find. I was at full draw for too long and my buck fever was through the roof. As soon as I let the arrow out..."****"....I hit it way further back that I would ever want to. I gave it 2 plus hours and my brother and I began trailing and ended up finding him after 500 yards of a decent blood trail. I know bad things can happen from a great shot so I count myself lucky to find him.

I have shot a lot of deer with a rifle and lost a few, mostly to my early years of hunting with a smaller caliber. But the bottom line is it happens at times to the best of hunters. All we can do is practice and be in tune with your equipment to give an animal a clean kill and yourself the best chance of recovery.

Enjoyed reading posts from long time bow hunters as I just have a small sample to share.

30 yards in under is a very wise choice.. 4 for 4...

Comment

Missing from a tree or ground blind that is most likely setup 20-30 yards from a feeder is a little silly. Missing is inevitable but that is as close as you can get to a perfect storm.

Missing a mule deer at 70 yards in high winds, off your knees, is easily explainable.

Comment

I back strapped a doe a few years ago . It was my first time hunting out of a tree stand and I dropped my bow arm instead of bending at the waist. I lost a axis doe a couple years ago on a day lease she was looking at me when I shot and I hit her in the shoulder. Arrow passex through but she was almost facing away from me when it hit. The land owner dumped the dog on her 10 min after the shot and jumped her twice.. I always feel bad about losing an animal or if it takes one awhile to die..

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                                Missing from a tree or ground blind that is most likely setup 20-30 yards from a feeder is a little silly. Missing is inevitable but that is as close as you can get to a perfect storm.

Missing a mule deer at 70 yards in high winds, off your knees, is easily explainable.
                                When I first started bowhunting I was shaking so hard I thought I was gonna drop my bow so no it's not silly missing

Comment

Working...
                                X