I found a fox in my freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a fox in my freezer

So finally running out of venison and fish and sausage and getting to the bottom of the deep freeze, found a fox I picked up on the way back from Wyoming in Sept 2016. It was a fresh road kill, barely a mark on it, and I can't bring myself to shoot them so thought it would be a good opportunity to get one to the taxidermist but unfortunately I completely forgot about it. Is it still salvageable?

should be fine if it was wraped up tight and not frezzer burnt , I kept a bobcat frozen almost 10 years and belive it or not it was fine and mounted just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
      should be fine if it was wraped up tight and not frezzer burnt , I kept a bobcat frozen almost 10 years and belive it or not it was fine and mounted just fine.
      The taxidermist just replaced it and didn't tell you. Unless it was skinned and rolled up in a ball, and package air tight, a bobcat wont make it near that long... And even if it was 10 years is a record..
      As far as the fox goes it will be iffy.. The first thing to burn will be the feet, nose and ears..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        The taxidermist just replaced it and didn't tell you. Unless it was skinned and rolled up in a ball, and package air tight, a bobcat wont make it near that long... And even if it was 10 years is a record..
        As far as the fox goes it will be iffy.. The first thing to burn will be the feet, nose and ears..
        I do my own mounts , it was packaged air tight like you said and wraped in a shipping blanket I had.forgotten it was in the bottom of the freezer and took a chance on it maby I just got lucky with it .

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          So finally running out of venison and fish and sausage and getting to the bottom of the deep freeze, found a fox I picked up on the way back from Wyoming in Sept 2016. It was a fresh road kill, barely a mark on it, and I can't bring myself to shoot them so thought it would be a good opportunity to get one to the taxidermist but unfortunately I completely forgot about it. Is it still salvageable?
          No

Comment

I'd take it and find out. I've seen a rattlesnake that was mounted after ten years of being in the freezer and it looked fine. As long as it's not freezer burnt I don't see why not.

Comment

What did he say?

Comment

I saw on TTHA tv show yesterday they mounted a wolf that had been in the freezer for 25 years and it was fine

Comment

I am wondering the same thing. I have a bobcat, ringtail, and a couple of foxes in the freezer from 8-10 years as well. I dont know if they are any good. The ringtail and foxes are skinned, except for the head and the bobcat is still whole. I doubt they are any good.

Comment

What kind of fox, you can't have certain ones in Wyoming, pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Whichever one is Legal.....

Comment

Also said on his way back from Wyoming so it could have been anywhere between there and Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                          Also said on his way back from Wyoming so it could have been anywhere between there and Texas
                          Thanks for looking out, appreciate it. It's a gray fox but I was indeed back in Texas close to Junction at about 3am when I saw it. I had to pee super bad so it was a good excuse to stop. Upon inspection all it had was a lump on it's head, no broken skin, so had to pick it up. I'm going to be upset if I let it freezer burn.

Comment

I had a South TX rattlesnake that I stuffed in the back of my Mother-in-Laws freezer almost 20 years ago. I had forgotten all about until we went to visit and I got the look when I walked in the door that only a wife/mom can give. She said she screamed and jumped about ten feet into the air when she tore package open. My father in law pulled me aside and told me thanks for the laugh, it was the funniest thing he had seen in years!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              What did he say?
                              I see what you did there

Comment

Working...
                              X