Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Anyone get drawn to hunt Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge?

I got picked to hunt unit 2 this year Dec 7-9. Anyone got info on this Unit?

I hunted unit 8 last year.

Good luck. For a place you'd think would be covered with deer, I never saw very many out there. I was really surprised. The trails I did see followed the drains and crossed the saddles, so keep that in mind. Try to find a place where several drains come together. They will be low in the a.m. and high in the p.m. and if the day is hot, they will bed just below the ridgelines on the NE side, in the shade. Watch the drains in the a.m. to find them coming up to bed. In the p.m., find a junction of drains and trails midway between the bedding areas below the ridges, and the valleys, esp. if you can find a pasture they want to go to.

John

Comment

I got drawn for unit 11 for Dec 7-9. Did you do any good last year? This is my first year hunting this land. I called and they said I could use my bow, but that I would be "out gunned" so to speak.

Do you know how the orientation works? They said it was on the hunting weekends, but I am not sure when those are.

Comment

Call the refuge and ask for Rob or David.

Yes, they do lump rifle and bowhunters together, but don't let that discourage you. They spread the hunters out well enough that gun hunters aren't going to affect you much, if at all.

John

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
          I got drawn for unit 11 for Dec 7-9. Did you do any good last year? This is my first year hunting this land. I called and they said I could use my bow, but that I would be "out gunned" so to speak.

Do you know how the orientation works? They said it was on the hunting weekends, but I am not sure when those are.
          lol i asked the same question last year and the guy was like "uhhhhhh you have better chances with a rifle."

the orientation is on dec 7 at 2pm i think and another at 5pm.
          heres the flyer that will tell you.

Comment

I got drawn to hunt unit 7 on the 30th. Last year we had a youth hunt and hunted unit 4. My son took his bow and his rifle. I'd recommend taking a rifle.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I may see you there. I am a tall guy 6' 4" with a beard, name is Keith. I would enjoy meeting some guys some TBH so just holler at me if you see me. I was thinking I might strap my 30-30 to my back and keep my bow out in case I see a monster at 100 yards or something I don't have to pass on it. This is my first year bow hunting and I am super excited to kill something with it, so I will definitely be trying to get in close enough to get one with my bow.

Comment

The only bad thing about this hunt is the use of ATV's. Many times people use the access to ride the ATV's all over during the hunt period. Many times people who travel just allow the kids to take the ATV's out without supervision. GW was notified but it continued throughout the week. Good Luck

Comment

I will be hunting Unit 3 Nov. 16, 17 and 18. This will be my 2nd trip to Unit 3.

Comment

I'm gonna try to go during the scouting days and see what's going on in my unit.

Comment

Would love to know if anyone here has actually taken a deer with their bow at Balcones...

Comment

ttt anyone else?

Comment

My BIL was drawn for 11/16-16 Unit 11.

Comment

I gun hunted Balcones for the last two seasons but never connected on a deer. Didnt apply for the drawing this year. Good luck to all those that go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Polar Bow View Post
                              My BIL was drawn for 11/16-16 Unit 11.
                              I am out in 11 for December, you will have to let me know if you find any good spots. I would appreciate it. I have been looking at google satellite images and have an idea where I will scout and probably setup, but I'd love to hear how things go for you. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, that 14 pointer out there as my name on it, so just save him for my trip if you see him and send me the GPS coordinates ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X