Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
    It's official. The archery hunt has been cancelled.
    Yea, just got the email and phone call. Dang it! Been putting in for several years and this was my first time to be drawn. Oh well, nothing you can do about a river flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
      I'm fixin to stir up a **** storm here I'm sure but I will not put in for this hunt even though I live only 20 min away. when I seen the buck that the guy that runs the place shot out there and found out that he don't let no one hunt that area ****** me off. Also they let a GW go in there and hunt and killed a monster. I would like to know if he put in his draw hunts. I used to put in there for about 5 yrs and never got drawn there,then when I found all this out about the GW and the guy that runs the place i never decided to hunt there again. My opinion it's run by somebody that it shouldn't be run by. I'm sure somebody could find a pic of the buck that the GW killed and post it. It just to fishy to me.
      This is speculation on my part but most likely the GW hunted a standby spot. Standby spots are from people that did not show up or pay their permit fee. Anyone can show up the day of the hunt and put their name in the hat. I have hunted draw hunts this way. You just need a pretty flexible work schedule to make it work. You not wanting to hunt it because of those rumors is hurting no one but you. There are great deer there. I promise you the guy running it doesn't have them all locked up in a secret spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
        Yea, just got the email and phone call. Dang it! Been putting in for several years and this was my first time to be drawn. Oh well, nothing you can do about a river flooding.
        sorry to hear that. there are some big buck genetics in that WMA

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
          I'm fixin to stir up a **** storm here I'm sure but I will not put in for this hunt even though I live only 20 min away. when I seen the buck that the guy that runs the place shot out there and found out that he don't let no one hunt that area ****** me off. Also they let a GW go in there and hunt and killed a monster. I would like to know if he put in his draw hunts. I used to put in there for about 5 yrs and never got drawn there,then when I found all this out about the GW and the guy that runs the place i never decided to hunt there again. My opinion it's run by somebody that it shouldn't be run by. I'm sure somebody could find a pic of the buck that the GW killed and post it. It just to fishy to me.
          Is this a heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend of a friend scenario? I just doubt the are canceling hunts for the sole purpose of keeping it to themselves.

Comment

I got drawn for the waterfowl hunt last weekend of duck season.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
              Is this a heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend of a friend scenario? I just doubt the are canceling hunts for the sole purpose of keeping it to themselves.
              Theres just been rumors for a long time, they really should rotate WMA managers around more often, one guy staying in the same place for so long is not good and fishy.

Comment

Just telling you what I know. And no it's not from a friend. And I do know there are good deer there. I just choose not to hunt it. Good luck if you get drawn. Hope you get one

Comment

I got drawn for the waterfowl hunt last weekend of duck season.
                  Good for you. Mine shows pending 2nd draw. Hoping I get picked.

Comment

Good luck to all of you!

Comment

Are they not going to cancel the youth hunt this weekend?

Comment

Hate to hear this on the cancelation. Good quality deer on that place. In reference to the buck killed by the Game Warden, I saw a picture of that buck and it was a beast. If I remember correctly it scored in the 170s. I’ve never put in for the draw hunt but I have some friends that used to hunt it when it was walk in years ago. Tons of hogs & deer on that place

Comment

Ain't no big deal on the hunt cancellation. Me and two other guys that drew Richland Creek this week came up here to Matador WMA for the archery mule deer hunt and we all got picked for standby!

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                            Ain't no big deal on the hunt cancellation. Me and two other guys that drew Richland Creek this week came up here to Matador WMA for the archery mule deer hunt and we all got picked for standby!
                            Is anything getting killed? Last time I was there out middle compartment was pretty frustrating to bowhunt. Only thing brought in by the entire group of hunters in 5 days was one little whitetail doe.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Is anything getting killed? Last time I was there out middle compartment was pretty frustrating to bowhunt. Only thing brought in by the entire group of hunters in 5 days was one little whitetail doe.
                              I don't know. The hunt just started yesterday evening and I don't think anything was taken. I'm actually seeing a lot of mule deer but nothing that's legal. They have new antler restrictions where they have to be outside the ears just like whitetail. On a muley, that's a big spread. It is also muley buck or whitetail doe only. No whitetail bucks.
                              As far as it being frustrating, bow hunting mule deer is going to be frustrating. It's not supposed to be easy. Even if it doesn't work out on this hunt, I'm still having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
                              Right now, I'm taking a break, eating a cold can of raviolis on a ridge of a canyon. Life is good.

Comment

They have cancelled the youth hunt. Posted on FB. Im drawn for the GDE hunt the Nov 5-9. prolly will get cancelled too.

Comment

Working...
                                X