X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenfarclas, smooth as silk, no burn. Worth the $250

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
      First of all whether you start by trying the best or the worst quality it will all taste the same, horrible. Just don’t waste your time get through the first bottle. Then start start tasting other brands. There is a lot of variety out there. My suggestion is below.

My advice is since your first scotch should be one heavy on the peat. Start with Laphroaig (sp). There are several others out there. If you’re not going to like the first drink anyway just go with something most people will not drink and more importantly, they will not bum it off you! Two cubes of ice, swirl it around once or twice and drink it.
      This is great advice.

Comment

Oban is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Macallen 12 is good mid priced that ain’t more than you can appreciate or make you smell like a campfire

Yup. Also a big fan of glenfiddich

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
            My favorite is Glenfiddich single malt as old as I can afford.

If price were no object I would go with this one:

https://www.whiskyliquorstore.com/65...oaAqrAEALw_wcB
            Is that 37k a bottle? Fur reel?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Glenfarclas, smooth as silk, no burn. Worth the $250
              Can I borrow a quart mason jar full?

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                Doug,

Come by and see me at 4ore golf. I will take you to the Loft upstairs. We have multiple choices at all costs. I can get you pointed towards something you will like. I might point you at the bourbons and or whiskeys that you might like as well or better also.
                Very nice! Wreck’EM!

Comment

Macallen 12 is good mid priced that ain’t more than you can appreciate or make you smell like a campfire
                  You can always add to it... but can’t take it out.

Start neat. Ice is a preference thing, but inhibits flavor.
                  Water (by the drop) can greatly effect scotch. Sometimes for the better... sometimes for the worse
                  Originally posted by treestand View Post
                  Macallan 12 year or, for a less expensive option, Glenmorangie.
                  Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                  Honestly - the GlenLivet 12 yr is a great starter.

I started on the McAllen 12 yr and it was a bit to spicy for me (at the time)

The Glenlivett is very well rounded and embodies Scottish whisky well. I really started there and now I will drink just about anything except for the islay region scotches or most blended scotches. The islay region whisky is usually peated and I personally find it terrible and “iodiney”

I very much enjoy the Glenfiddich 14 yr, the glen moray 10 yr Chardonnay cask finish, and the glenmorangie 10 year.

Also - I drink mine neat out of a rocks glass, a splash of water sometimes ups the flavor profile tremendously - but 99.9% of the time for me it’s just two fingers, neat.

Let us know what you find that you like!
                  All solid advice. I prefer MacAllan 12 year as a daily.

I’m also more into bourbons but hard to beat a good scotch.

Comment

ive been dying to try VAT69 in honor of Lewis Nixon but it hasn’t been that easy to find.

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                      First of all whether you start by trying the best or the worst quality it will all taste the same, horrible. Just don’t waste your time get through the first bottle. Then start start tasting other brands. There is a lot of variety out there. My suggestion is below.

My advice is since your first scotch should be one heavy on the peat. Start with Laphroaig (sp). There are several others out there. If you’re not going to like the first drink anyway just go with something most people will not drink and more importantly, they will not bum it off you! Two cubes of ice, swirl it around once or twice and drink it.
                      Might as well as go big with Octomore. Laphroaig is my favorite Islay btw. Neat and sometimes I’ll add 3 drops of water to mix it up a bit.

Comment

I can’t add much as I am not a scotch drinker...but isn’t most, if not all, scotch distilled in refurbished bourbon barrels? In other words, our cheapest bourbons have already extracted the best flavors from the distillery process before the scotch is made?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                          Is that 37k a bottle? Fur reel?
                          Yes it is. I can only imagine how smooth it is.

Still cheaper than the 50 year old Glenlivet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                            Balvenie
                            This

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                              I can’t add much as I am not a scotch drinker...but isn’t most, if not all, scotch distilled in refurbished bourbon barrels? In other words, our cheapest bourbons have already extracted the best flavors from the distillery process before the scotch is made?
                              Aged. They like American oak bourbon barrels, but also use sherry and port casks, or even a combo of the three.

Comment

My preference is a single malt highland distilled scotch aged in sherry barrel or port wine barrel. I don't care for the peatiness of island scotch or woodiness of lowland scotch.
                                Best $$ value for single malt highland whisky around here is Tomatin, Highland Queen Majesty, or Grangestone. Usually around $30 for 750ml. Glenmorangie is a step up but more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X