No announcement yet.

Where are the deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its amazing how quickly the deer will disappear when the hogs find the feeders. I started running my feeders roughly a month ago and within days i was getting deer pics regularly through my cell cam. About 2 weeks in the pigs found it and were there within minutes of the feeder going off AM and PM. I had pics of the deer in the background wanting to come in and feed but couldnt. Snuck out there one afternoon and put a couple pigs on the ground. Within 2 days the deer were back. That lasted about a week and the pigs moved in again. So here i am going to repeat the process again here shortly lol

Comment

Originally posted by SETXHUNT0902 View Post
      Its amazing how quickly the deer will disappear when the hogs find the feeders. I started running my feeders roughly a month ago and within days i was getting deer pics regularly through my cell cam. About 2 weeks in the pigs found it and were there within minutes of the feeder going off AM and PM. I had pics of the deer in the background wanting to come in and feed but couldnt. Snuck out there one afternoon and put a couple pigs on the ground. Within 2 days the deer were back. That lasted about a week and the pigs moved in again. So here i am going to repeat the process again here shortly lol
      Its sound like my season will consist of this if I wanna see deer regularly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

My place in San Saba the deer and hogs eat together. Lol.

I don't think pigs are your problem. You have 5 feeders. No way pigs are at every feeder as soon as they go off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
          Its sound like my season will consist of this if I wanna see deer regularly.

It sucks but gotta be done. Also ill say that ive noticed typically closer to season when other hunters start feeding, entering the woods, and acorns start dropping i will notice a drop in pig activity.

Comment

Since you apparently own this land, I'd fence off several acres (or all of it) with a hog wire fence to keep the hogs out. This is the best thing you can do for hog control. The deer will jump a hog wire fence with no problem. The bigger area you have fenced off, the more comfortable the deer will be when they are inside the area... Another thought is that if your neighbors are killing good deer regularly, it is possible your property is a travel corridor and/or bedding area. If this is the case, those feeders will only mess that up and move the deer OFF your property rather than attract them. You need to identify that first of all... Assuming you continue feeding, make it so that you are only feeding the animals you want to... hog-proof the area where you want deer...

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              My place in San Saba the deer and hogs eat together. Lol.

I don't think pigs are your problem. You have 5 feeders. No way pigs are at every feeder as soon as they go off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              I typically have group of pigs that come through at 7 in the morning and 7:30 ish at night. They dont hit every feeder but they do hit at least two. Sometimes three. But besides the one group that is my typical pig population for a day. All other hours of the day I dont get any kind of pictures of wildlife at all.

Comment

This is the property.

Comment

I typically have group of pigs that come through at 7 in the morning and 7:30 ish at night. They dont hit every feeder but they do hit at least two. Sometimes three. But besides the one group that is my typical pig population for a day. All other hours of the day I dont get any kind of pictures of wildlife at all.

So the corn piles up?

Comment

So your wasting money feeding pigs. Good reason to not feed all year. The deer are there

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      So the corn piles up?
                      I throw 3 seconds twice a day. Middle of the day you will find a lot of corn on the ground. I do get allot of raccons and the occasional single boar that comes through middle of the night.

Comment

I've been throwing corn all year more or less to keep deer activity on the property I hunt. I know it's hot and there is still plenty of forage for deer from the heavy spring rains this year but should I be worried about the lack of deer I'm seeing? Pigs are plenty thick and come through every evening but it's rare that I ever see a deer on the game cameras.

Try shaking the bag of corn real loudly, they should come a running.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
                          Does the bag come with the deer in it or what? [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post

I know those deer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Build a pen. I built several 16 panel pens that solved my similar issues. Can be done under $300 and your corn savings could pay for that quickly. My pens take me 1.5 hours to build. I’ve built 5 in the last year
                              Last edited by hardtner; 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

We’re covered up in deer down in Schliecher county

Comment

Working...
                                X