No announcement yet.

Where are the deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe cut back to around 3 feeders and start wearing the pigs out. If you don't, all you will have is a pig lease. Maybe try hunting them at night right now since it is still so hot.

Comment

Pic the 2 feeders you plan to hunt and put up feeder pens. Let the pigs go to the other feeders. Deer will come to the penned feeders. Why would a deer even try to go to a feeder if pigs run in everytime. Deer are not gonna try to feed with a group of pigs..

Comment

Several times the pigs have ran out deer off. But also, with all the rain we got this year it has made for the green to be choice of a meal before corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
          Where are you hunting? Did I miss it in the post? There's a pretty significant anthrax issue going on around Sutton and ValVerde counties. Not sure if that would hit the pigs, but deer numbers are suffering pretty good.

If not in the affected area, either kill the pigs or put up a feed pen. I finally got one up this off season and my deer numbers have dramatically increased.
          I'm hunting in rains county so no anthrax worries.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

You need to cut about 4 feeders, concentrate on get rid of some hogs, invest in a trap. As long as you got a hog lease you can forget about a deer lease.

Comment

Spot#1: Put hog panels on your best feeder and spot.
              Spot#2: Leave this one feeder only for hogs.
              Spot#3: handcorn a bag w wind and thick stuff to ur advantage
              Cut the other 3 feeders off.
              Put some pressure on pigs

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
                I've been throwing corn all year more or less to keep deer activity on the property I hunt. I know it's hot and there is still plenty of forage for deer from the heavy spring rains this year but should I be worried about the lack of deer I'm seeing? Pigs are plenty thick and come through every evening but it's rare that I ever see a deer on the game cameras.

1. Yes it's easy to knock the pigs back. If you live along a river or travel route they just come back faster (new pigs). Just have some fun and hunt them. If you need help there are plenty of guys with night vision that would hunt with you I'm sure.

2. Pigs don't scare away deer as much as people think. Sure when there's plenty of green the deer will not fight over corn or compete with the pigs.

3. Yes, I'd be worried this late that your not seeing any deer.

4. Be careful with a feed pen. My deer absolutely hated jumping the cattle panels because the pen wasn't big enough. So make a big pen. FYI - Protein brings in the deer more than corn at my place. Maybe try a couple goat/sheep blocks also.

5. Nothing wrong with that many feeders although it is a lot. Just be sure and turn down the ones you don't plan to hunt very low. You don't want the deer hanging out at the other stands all day while you're in another one.

Comment

Yep - pigs ain’t good around the deer plus they wipe out your deer corn before the deer get there. Shoot em all.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck View Post
                    Spot#1: Put hog panels on your best feeder and spot.

Spot#2: Leave this one feeder only for hogs.

Spot#3: handcorn a bag w wind and thick stuff to ur advantage

Cut the other 3 feeders off.

Put some pressure on pigs
                    Is it too late to put up a pen if I'm planning on hunting bow season?

Comment

My two cents.

Two feeders are plenty on 50 acres. I don’t know how many folks are planning to hunt, but two at a time is plenty, and more than I would want. Pen your feeders with at least 8 hog panels and as many more as you can afford. Kill every frickin pig you can, even while deer hunting. Target the sows, but don’t pass a boar. This is what has worked for me.

Comment

Is it too late to put up a pen if I'm planning on hunting bow season?

No, but the sooner the better. Mine got used to them in a couple weeks, sooner on one place.

Comment

I've got 3 feeders on 40 acres. there are plenty of pigs but I have way more deer.
                          1. fence off a large area for feeding, I have 16 16ft cattle panels with 2 of them cut short to funnel their access. I have a timed corn feeder, free choice protein, a mineral block, alfalfa and water in the pen. the pen is roughly in the center of the property.
                          2. I have the other 2 corn feeders on opposite corners of the property. one set for roughly dusk and dawn and the other for 10 am/pm. those 2 are where the pigs are.

I also have a drop gate on the pen so I can catch whole sounders at a time when the pigs get too thick.

3. if I'm hunting for meat ill hunt the feeders, if I'm hunting for horns ill hunt the trails in between.

Comment

I gonna go out on a limb and say the pigs are your problem. I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I gonna go out on a limb and say the pigs are your problem. I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

I appreciate your input. Any suggestions??[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I appreciate your input. Any suggestions??[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tannerite?

Comment

Working...
                                X