Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your kid mow the grass????

Like the title says.....Do your kids mow your grass? If so do you pay them and if so how much do you pay for how big of yard?

We have 3 acres and I'd say about half is mowable so around 1.5 acres of grass to cut. My son started helping to mow around 8 and is 11 now and can do it on his own including airing up low tires and checking oil before he starts. Its a zero turn and he does a good job, very rarely do I have to point out any missed spots. He also blows off the drive, porches, and sidewalk. I've been giving him $20 for his work. Just curious what others are paying for similar job.

Wife pays the kiddo (and previously his older brothers) to mow our regular neighborhood yard $20. When I have/had them do it I don't pay and I reference room and board and lack of them paying me rent. In both cases they'd usually half-*** the first mow of the year and I make them go back out and fix it, then future attempts are much better. They learned to jump real quick when the wife offers to pay them because if they don't I'm just gonna make them do it for free when it hits my radar.

Comment

Me as a kid...
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes both of my daughters 14 & 17 help mow the yard. No we don’t pay them. I figure all that we buy/do for them thy is the least they can do is my philosophy.

Comment

I run the weed eater the boy pushes the mower. We have him set up with a Greenlight card and I'll throw him 15 bucks for helping out.

Comment

I never got paid and didn’t expect to. When my boy starts mowing it he won’t get paid either.

Comment

Our kids do a variety of chores for their allowance, which is $5/wk. clean/brush the pool, mow, dust, vacuum, bathrooms, their laundry, etc. Each of my boys has taken a shift at mowing the front yard (backyard is landscaped and unmowable). If we were to break down their chores, each mow would come out to about $1.50-$2.00. Both first mowed at the age of 10 with close parent supervision, but now at 13/14, it’s more of a “get your butt out there and mow the grass” kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                Me as a kid...

My thoughts exactly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My girls are still too young. As a kid I mowed for free, but not all the time because my mom really enjoyed doing it.

Comment

Son did until he went to college. Never moved back home He did it reluctantly cause we didn't pay him. Cited the old room board, it's family stuff, we gotta help each other out. Daughter got a free pass due to she's a girl. So Momma helped with yard stuff (still does) but Jess would still volunteer on occasion.

Comment

A simple chore like mowing, no. Going above and beyond like pressure washing, cleaning gutters or painting the fence sure. Teaches them that if they want more than everybody else they have to do more than everybody else.

Comment

my Son started when he was old enough to reach the pedals on the riding mower, we had 2 acres then. i would weed eat and he would mow
                        never paid him, as my thought was/is danged if i am going to be outside sweating my b, butt off while he is inside playing games.... place to live, cell phone and the rest... the strong work ethics start at home IMO!!

Comment

6 acres. Mow bout 1ac w z-turn, rest w tractor.
                          35 yo son at home. He** no I don't pay him! Well.... actually I do.
                          Rent, food, kids keep, etc....

So..... bout $1k / hr !!!

Comment

My boy started mowing our front yard a year or so ago and I’d mow the back. Neighbor saw him and now he gets $20 to mow there’s. This was with a push mower I’ve since upgraded to a zero turn so the deal is for him to use it he has to mow our whole yard. I still do the edging and weed eating but about to learn him on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              I run the weed eater the boy pushes the mower. We have him set up with a Greenlight card and I'll throw him 15 bucks for helping out.

Same here. He mows and I weedeat. We take turns on the blower. We do not pay directly but when we head to the lease or fishing I may buy him something he wanted.

What is a green light card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X