2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    We gonna find out! I'll be headed to TSC this weekend with my trailer... gonna buy a bunch of panels to trellis my peas, cukes, maters and squash/zucchini... You get a discount at 20 panels...
    I didn’t know squash would vine on Trellis.

Comment

Got my Hoss drip irrigation system yesterday and got a few rows hooked up after work. Super simple system to hook up seems like it’s made well. Hope this cuts down on labor of watering the garden and weeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        I didn’t know squash would vine on Trellis.
        Well they don't too well like a cucumber or peas/beans, but if you put a cage trellis like those little wire cages like some folks use on tomataoes, they will keep the plants more erect and upright... I plan on cutting panels into short sections and fabricating small equilateral triangle cages with the panels (like about 3 wire squares each side... Buddy of mine did this last year, and had great success... If you can keep the squash off the ground and erect, it's easier to find and treat pests that get on them, pests like bores and squash (stink) bugs...

Comment

At what size do y’all let your tomato put on fruit. My plants are only about 14-16” and are already producing blooms. Should I pinch them off or let them put on fruit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            At what size do y’all let your tomato put on fruit. My plants are only about 14-16” and are already producing blooms. Should I pinch them off or let them put on fruit??

I should mention that me and a fellow TBH’er have a dispute regarding this.

Comment

Ive never pinched em/culled/ skimmed my maters...

But, a reasonable argument could be made to pinch the blooms off until a certain age.

Do you bury have the stalk horizontal in the ground when you plant them?

Comment

Praise the Lord, we got 'er dun (almost) this weekend!!! Finished with all the soil amendments, turned everything over one more time, made rows on Friday, and commenced to planting Saturday morning!! Now here it is Monday and I'm askin' the Lord for just the right amount of rain so I don't have to drag out water hoses...

Cut way back on size this year so hopefully we can manage it better since we're both still working full time... 10 rows 80 feet long. So far, planted:
                4 half rows corn
                4 half rows purple hull peas
                half row of cukes
                half row of squash n zucchini
                a dozen tomato plants
                3 egg plants,
                a few snow peas
                13 pepper plants (jalapeno, banana, bell) gonna get some red chili's yet.
                1/4 row of cantaloupes... Gonna try to trellis them using a deal I saw on line where you hang the fruits in plastic garbage bags (aka wal-mart sacks) to support their weight...
                still have to plant potatoes... chitting them now. Hopefully in a few days, they'll be ready to go in the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	24646360

Name:	IMG_0812.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	24646361

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	24646362

Name:	IMG_0817.JPG
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	24646363

Name:	IMG_0816.JPG
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	24646364

Comment

Putting radishes, tomatoes, okra, squash, and zucchini here in a week or so

Comment

Well I have my first big crop of mustard greens that survived the ice and bounced back 20 fold. But looks like with the warmer weather the bugs have already begun to devour them. Starting to look like someone been shooting them with 12 gauge birdshot and the undersides of all the leafs are coated with thousands and thousands of eggs. I even went against tradition and hit them with a chemical that appears to have had no affect after 3 days. I understand now why this is a good winter crop.

Comment

Knew I was forgetting something in my list of plantings above... I also have a row of Okra...

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                        Did you have problems with diseases?

Thinking about doing a little pumpkin patch so the wife don’t have to buy all her decorative pumpkins plus I just like to experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Pumpkins are easy to grow. They're heavy feeders, so amend the soil with lots of manure and organic material. If you can get the soil around some old hay rings, it's great, but you'll have alot of weed seed. Or someone cleaning out a chicken coup. Also mix in some 13-13-13. I've grown them several times, and the one's that have always done the best are the Jack-o-Lantern and Connectuct Field.

Two big problems, are that pumpkins need to be planted now to grow best and get biggest, and then you need a cool place to store them the rest of the summer so they make it till fall. I've seen alot of folks try and plant them, so there ready to have a "pumpkin patch" around Fall and it always fails. To hot here. The giant pumpkin varieties are alot harder to grow, and squash bugs tend to get after them. Just my experience. Cow or chicken manure and alot of organic material like straw/old hay, and some 13-13-13.

Comment

Miracle Grow also will boost them, just don't burn them. Pretty amazing how fast they grow if you hit everything just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                            Pumpkins are easy to grow. They're heavy feeders, so amend the soil with lots of manure and organic material. If you can get the soil around some old hay rings, it's great, but you'll have alot of weed seed. Or someone cleaning out a chicken coup. Also mix in some 13-13-13. I've grown them several times, and the one's that have always done the best are the Jack-o-Lantern and Connectuct Field.

Two big problems, are that pumpkins need to be planted now to grow best and get biggest, and then you need a cool place to store them the rest of the summer so they make it till fall. I've seen alot of folks try and plant them, so there ready to have a "pumpkin patch" around Fall and it always fails. To hot here. The giant pumpkin varieties are alot harder to grow, and squash bugs tend to get after them. Just my experience. Cow or chicken manure and alot of organic material like straw/old hay, and some 13-13-13.
                            Awesome! I started some seed for a trial run so we will see what happens.

I’m going to attempt a pumpkin patch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

I have never pruned blooms, but I do prune limbs especially when they are small.

Comment

Anyone have advice or input on trellis netting rather than the cattle panels?

Out of cattle panels at the moment, and have 100 feet of cucumbers and 100 feet of green beans planned. The Trellis netting is a lot cheaper but wasnt sure of a particular brand or material one may suggest.

Any advice on tomatillos? I assumed similar to tomatoes, have about 25 really nice plants I started this winter I'm ready to get in the ground...

Comment

Working...
                                X