2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Yessir they can when it's small... My wife's "girls" are not completely free-range, but we let 'em out when we are home and around. With a garden that's growing good, they do some pretty good bug control, but they will pull emerging plants and scratch in the dirt for bugs and such if you don't keep 'em out... maybe a hot wire for a while?? My grand pa used to do that when he'd start his garden... After a couple weeks, the chickens wouldn't go anywhere near his garden...
    Hmmm, well I guess I’ll have to get creative. As I plowed and tilled today they were all over it finding bugs and worms.
    Thanks for the heads up

Comment

If we don't watch 'em ours will peck veggies of all sizes and shapes too... We feed 'em the scraps from processing veggies and table leftovers so they have a natural propensity to go for them. Fun to watch 'em fight over a big ol' green tomato worm!! It's pretty violent and green blood everywhere!!

Comment

Planted thus far:
        Boston pickling cukes
        Tomatoes
        - big boy
        - celebrity
        - Amelia
        - walkers improved

Mint
        -spearmint
        - sweet mint
        - chocolate mint

Lemon Balm

Mini eggplants

Seeds ordered from Willhite:
        Corn
        Popcorn
        Carrots
        Sunflowers
        Purple hulls
        And five other things I can't remember that i ordered.

All fruit trees have buds that have popped
        Two pecan trees look dead

I'll plant more Lettuce today as the rain is here

My red onions and garlic that I planted in December look to be doing great

Collard greens and broccoli don't seem to want to give me anything although they seem to be pretty stout
        Last edited by texansfan; 03-11-2021, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I'm late to the party but got things rolling today. I got my new tractor delivered yesterday along with a 5ft tiller and what a game changer. I've been using a small walk behind tiller for 20 years! I just tilled in about 10 yards of shroom dirt straight from the Monterey Mushroom plant. I'm gonna let that sit for a week or so before planting. Will get pics soon of garden area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice Johnny!! Congratulations on the new toys!! Will sure make clearing shooting lanes and such easier too!!

Comment

Any of y’all use a drip irrigation system to water your gardens? I’ll be putting mine in today little late on some stuff but better late than never.

Comment

Just got our garden planted 100x40. 17 40’ rows mixed vegetables
                Tomato
                Squash/zucchini
                Peppers 3 variety
                Carrot
                Spinach
                Cucumbers an pickles
                Corn
                Okra
                Green beans
                Watermelon
                Cucumber
                With a few rows of flowers for the bees
                In 2 weeks time I’ll plant dill and cilantro.
                Also plan on putting in some huge sunflowers.

First year garden at the new house. Grandpa had a garden here all his life except the last 7-8 years. Picking up where he left off.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                  I'm late to the party but got things rolling today. I got my new tractor delivered yesterday along with a 5ft tiller and what a game changer. I've been using a small walk behind tiller for 20 years! I just tilled in about 10 yards of shroom dirt straight from the Monterey Mushroom plant. I'm gonna let that sit for a week or so before planting. Will get pics soon of garden area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats Johnny! Some tillers give the option to change the direction of tiller rotation, if your does you really wanting so that it’s pulling back on the tractor vs pushing it if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Just got our garden planted 100x40. 17 40’ rows mixed vegetables
                    Tomato
                    Squash/zucchini
                    Peppers 3 variety
                    Carrot
                    Spinach
                    Cucumbers an pickles
                    Corn
                    Okra
                    Green beans
                    Watermelon
                    Cucumber
                    With a few rows of flowers for the bees
                    In 2 weeks time I’ll plant dill and cilantro.
                    Also plan on putting in some huge sunflowers.

First year garden at the new house. Grandpa had a garden here all his life except the last 7-8 years. Picking up where he left off.
                    Cilantro?
                    What area you in for that? I'm southeast Texas. Love that stuff but never tried to grow it. Guess I'm researching now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                      Cilantro?
                      What area you in for that? I'm southeast Texas. Love that stuff but never tried to grow it. Guess I'm researching now.

I plant cilantro in the fall and it grows all winter until it finally bolts when it gets hot. It reseeds itself if you let it. I planted one plant about a decade ago and it now comes up every fall on its own all over the garden lol. I always keep some seeds and throw them out in the fall just in case

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        I plant cilantro in the fall and it grows all winter until it finally bolts when it gets hot. It reseeds itself if you let it. I planted one plant about a decade ago and it now comes up every fall on its own all over the garden lol. I always keep some seeds and throw them out in the fall just in case
                        Good to know thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Congrats Johnny! Some tillers give the option to change the direction of tiller rotation, if your does you really wanting so that it’s pulling back on the tractor vs pushing it if that makes sense.

You know Brent, I'm gonna look at my Deere tiller to see if it has that option... My tiller (72 incher) will push my tractor when I push in the clutch. Reverse rotation would stop that... One side of my wife's garden spot is near our back yard picket fence... I've punched it twice because of that!!

Comment

And so far, so good on the rain over the past few days... Nothing that will stop me from making rows for my bride to start puttin' stuff in the ground... If we don't get a downpour, I'll be making rows Wednesday or Thursday... Got my fingers crossed and said a little prayer to the Good Lord for the opportunity to git-er-dun...

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Same here was wondering if cutting/preventing the bolt will have it continue to produce the good leaves?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                                Any of y’all use a drip irrigation system to water your gardens? I’ll be putting mine in today little late on some stuff but better late than never.

Comment

Working...
                                X