Suppressor components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Lol. You really dont get it but I'm cool. I do criminal defense.
    Just shot beer across the room dang it, now I have to clean it up.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
      Just shot beer across the room dang it, now I have to clean it up.
      Why would I want someone to defend me that cant even post the law that backs up their "opinion"?

Comment

Originally posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
        I would focus on the "these" part ref the solvent traps from the company in question. SMH
        You think DSD was manufacturing them or sourcing them from the same suppliers used by all the other “solvent trap” companies? S-M-H.

Comment

Alright, seems to be half time in the ****** stretch so I'll interject. Both of y'all just seem to be dancing around the wording trying to be "right".

The question that needs to be answered is when does a "solvent trap" become an "unlicensed suppressor part"?

It can't be it is always an unlicensed suppressor part. Some of the oldest companies are still selling them. At least one of them has been shut down, investigated and was back to selling the shortly thereafter.

IF the answer is indeed, "they are always unregistered silencer parts", how does the form 1 even exist? Nobody could buy tubing legally to build one.

If the answer is "when you intend to build a suppressor from it", how can anybody with a legit machine shop possess any raw materials while waiting for their form 1 to be approved? Clearly the intent would be to make a suppressor from it if they're waiting on a form 1 approval.

I believe SC-Texas when he says people are being forced to turn them over, but has an end user actually been charged for having an undrilled solvent trap or is this just strong arming by the BATF knowing nobody is going to risk fighting it?

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            Alright, seems to be half time in the ****** stretch so I'll interject. Both of y'all just seem to be dancing around the wording trying to be "right".

The question that needs to be answered is when does a "solvent trap" become an "unlicensed suppressor part"?

It can't be it is always an unlicensed suppressor part. Some of the oldest companies are still selling them. At least one of them has been shut down, investigated and was back to selling the shortly thereafter.

IF the answer is indeed, "they are always unregistered silencer parts", how does the form 1 even exist? Nobody could buy tubing legally to build one.

If the answer is "when you intend to build a suppressor from it", how can anybody with a legit machine shop possess any raw materials while waiting for their form 1 to be approved? Clearly the intent would be to make a suppressor from it if they're waiting on a form 1 approval.

I believe SC-Texas when he says people are being forced to turn them over, but has an end user actually been charged for having an undrilled solvent trap or is this just strong arming by the BATF knowing nobody is going to risk fighting it?

Really great points. How could we even have Form 1s. Great great point!

Comment

My guess is the latter, but I am of firm opinion that the ATF is just a massive collection of tyrants.

Comment

Quick somebody write a letter to the ATF

Comment

Some of the oldest companies are still selling them. At least one of them has been shut down, investigated and was back to selling the shortly thereafter.
                  The majority of the older companies aren't listing cups, cores, freeze plugs or baffles... If they are dumb enough to do that it's only a matter of time until their time is up.

The letter that was circulating around at the time this was all going down is below.

ATF Letter

The stated intent of a solvent trap is to catch and trap gun cleaning solvent during bore cleaning operations commonly performed on firearms. Solvent traps do attach to the muzzle of a firearm but do not have any design features intended to allow a bullet to pass through them.
                  Since as originally manufactured they are not intended to silence, muffle or diminish the report of a portable firearm they are not silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) and thus also are not firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(7).
                  However, if the solvent trapped was redesigned or utilized to assemble a device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm or if intent was demonstrated to use the device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, the solvent trap would be classified as a “firearm silencer” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) and as a “firearm” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(C) and 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7).

Comment

Piggy backing off that.... If I buy a solvent trap my intent is not for that solvent trap to be used for silencing or muffling (It physically wont work for that.) Now if I drill that solvent trap out my intent for the solvent trap becomes to silence or muffle. If my materials do not have holes in them I have ZERO intent for them to silence or muffle.

Comment

^^thats my thoughts too.

If I go to the hardware store and buy a shotgun with an 18” barrel and a hacksaw at the same time, am I getting arrested for “intent” to make an illegal firearm? I’d guess not.

Comment

In my illogical way of thinking if I bought a device from a reputable dealer that sells that device for it's intended purpose then you should be ok. But if you buy a device from a shady dealer that sells other devices and has designs for building illegal devices then you probably have other plans for that device.If I have a maglight I'm probably ok, but if beside that maglight I have a book called how to make a suppressor from a maglight written by Rick Grimes then I'm probably going to be in trouble.

Comment

Does anyone really use a “Solvent Trap” for its intended purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                            In my illogical way of thinking if I bought a device from a reputable dealer that sells that device for it's intended purpose then you should be ok. But if you buy a device from a shady dealer that sells other devices and has designs for building illegal devices then you probably have other plans for that device.If I have a maglight I'm probably ok, but if beside that maglight I have a book called how to make a suppressor from a maglight written by Rick Grimes then I'm probably going to be in trouble.
                            As long as u don’t kill the living... I see no obstacles in your future

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                              Does anyone really use a “Solvent Trap” for its intended purpose?
                              Every time I clean a rifle. Catches the patches and any spray that gets flung out with a brush.

Comment

Every time I clean a rifle. Catches the patches and any spray that gets flung out with a brush.
                                Oh ok, I was just curious. I usually use a trash can or coke/Gatorade bottle. Guess I never saw the luster of manufactured “solvent traps”

Comment

Working...
                                X