Public Hunting other than TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
    Can you explain GoHunt a little more? What do you use it for, cost, how has it helped you etc
    It has unit maps, draw and success odds for different species, info about what species is most found where in the units, local amenities info, etc.

Its $150 per year but you can almost always find some sort of $50 coupon code .

You can probably find a free trial coupon somewhere too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      It has unit maps, draw and success odds for different species, info about what species is most found where in the units, local amenities info, etc.

Its $150 per year but you can almost always find some sort of $50 coupon code .

You can probably find a free trial coupon somewhere too.
      Shoot, that's steep for an app.

Comment

Seems expensive but when you see what all you can do with it 150$ is extremely cheap. Opens the door for easy DIY hunting all over the west. Just having all the info breakdowns for each state all in one place is priceless.

Comment

GoHunt will literally answer every question you have asked so far. Just go to the site and get started. $150 is cheap compared to the amount of time you will spend online trying to understand regs, draw odds, units, land ownership, point applications, codes for selecting units, legal game, camping locations, amount of tags drawn, amount of animals taken, bull/cow ratio, past history in the units, etc....you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            GoHunt will literally answer every question you have asked so far. Just go to the site and get started. $150 is cheap compared to the amount of time you will spend online trying to understand regs, draw odds, units, land ownership, point applications, codes for selecting units, legal game, camping locations, amount of tags drawn, amount of animals taken, bull/cow ratio, past history in the units, etc....you get my point.
            Gotcha thanks. How long does the $150 give you access for? I am assuming a year

Comment

Watch Randy Newberg's Elk Talk series on YouTube. He goes over each western state's drawing system. His "Fresh Tracks" series on Amazon Prime is really good as well. He hunts all public land. He is also an advocate for GoHunt Insider.

Comment

I used to compile draw odds, harvest success, etc then call wildlife managers in areas, then do it all over when the unit I'm looking at hits a snag. You get contact with staff that live in the state. They may or may not have hunted the unit but if not they've told me so and given general information.

As an example, I have nine points for Pronghorn in WY. I have zero points for elk. I already know the unit I will put in for Pronghorn. I asked them to recommend elk units that I could draw general tags near my unit. They came back with suggestions and strategy. Also, even though I've been applying in WY for years, it was their write up that corrected some assumptions I had about the second choice. If I had gone with my assumptions we would not draw a tag next year.
                Also you will see other hunter questions and comments on a unit ad well as your own.

I think there are monthly options as well as the annual but don't quote me on it..
                Good luck
                Last edited by jnd1959; 12-21-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

OTC meaning you can walk into a sporting goods store, get a tag, and essentially head to the woods?
                  Yes, on Public. There are OTC tags for private as well, along with draw and landowner vouchers. New Mexico even has an outfitter draw. If I was going to do my first hunt outside of Texas I would do a late September (rut) elk, archery public hunt in Colorado. You can most likely locate bulls and have a either sex tag. You would think a rifle tag in October sounds easier but without them screaming, it’s tough. If I was set on rifle I would sit on water everyday, not move, and go deep in. In all honesty it would probably take 2-3 years to get a nice bull. Some people are lucky. I’ve done most of the western states and would be glad to help.

Comment

We have great public land hunting in Wyoming for everything, You'll need PP to draw a great tag but some can b had if lucky in the random draw. Pronghorn up here are a blast to hunt and trophies can be had in almost any area with time and effort.
                    Colorado has OTC tags and lots of elk, but also lots of hunters.
                    A general tag in Wyoming lets you hunt any general area in the state with possibility of hunting archery season then coming back with a rifle if not successful.
                    Cow tags and doe tags can be had at reduced price and they are random draw, also additional tags meaning you can have a cow tag and a bull tag ( or either sex tag).
                    Lots of folks on here hunt Rocky Mt states so just ask and they or I will help with info.
                    The state G&F sites have lots of info, check out the Wyoming Hunt Planner for areas, draw odds and a map of public and private land.
                    Fall fishing for spawning trout is also doable on almost any hunt, dusky grouse hunting in the forest and sage grouse during Sept. too.

Comment

Wyoming is cake for public land antelope. Makes an easy $1000.00 trip for two or three guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        Wyoming is cake for public land antelope. Makes an easy $1000.00 trip for two or three guys.
                        This for sure. You could possibly have up to 2 any antelope tags each and 4 doe/fawn tags if everything was drawn and leftovers were available.
                        Get a few PP in Wyoming and come up for a fun hunt. Sept antelope seasons in many areas combine with fishing for fall spawning trout and grouse hunting in the forests and sage grouse on the flats.
                        Camping is easy just need a sturdy tent, wind is an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          2nd this. Gohunt is the way to go. I won a $500 bipod this year, so the membership has paid for itself for the next 4 years now.
                          That was you! I saw that someone from Katy won, tha'ts awesome congrats!

Comment

And just because you are young don’t think you can cover lots of ground. I went last running about 20 miles a week and rucking another 20. At 10k feet flatlanders get slow and worn out. Train with a McDonalds straw in your mouth to breath out of. Start with shot straw and make it longer as you get closer

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              And just because you are young don’t think you can cover lots of ground. I went last running about 20 miles a week and rucking another 20. At 10k feet flatlanders get slow and worn out. Train with a McDonalds straw in your mouth to breath out of. Start with shot straw and make it longer as you get closer
                              Whenever I was climbing I'd spend a couple days at 7k and do day trips to 10. Climb high sleep low. If i didn't have time there was always diamox. Take altitude seriously. Edema can be a killer. Everyone worries about bears but the real killers are weather, altitude and falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                                We're going to WY late season this next year. If anyone has 5.5 points and wants to go late pm me. If we draw we will head up after the 15 of Oct. We're right on the bubble for the unit we want if point creep isn't too bad. We're also going to try for general elk. That's due Jan 31st.

Comment

Working...
                                X